You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Talked To A Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Talked To A Ghost?

 

This happened back in October of 1995. I went to a family reunion at a church with a cemetery. It has some of my ancestors buried in it. When I got there I didn't see anyone but an elderly lady walking through the tombstones toward the church. Her hair was up in a bun like old ladies used to wear and she had on a light-colored dress.

I asked her if she were here for the reunion and she said yes. I asked her name and she said Orie. I had seen her name on the family tree and began to cry. It was very touching.

She sat down on a tombstone. I asked her if she knew my mother and aunt. She said she did. I cried even more out of sentimentality. I tried to film her with the camcorder (it was 1995) but it didn't record. It worked perfectly at home. I was so mad.

I asked Orie where everybody else was and she said in the church. I went in the church and saw a bunch of relatives but only knew two of them. I tried the camcorder again and it worked perfectly! I told my cousin that it didn't work outside when I tried to film Orie. I asked him if he knew Orie and he had to stop and think. Then he said Orie has been long-since dead. I said but I just talked to her in the cemetery!

I took my cousin back outside to see for himself but she was gone. I was only in the church for a couple of minutes and an old lady like that could not have walked off that fast! It's a wide-open cemetery, like a golf course. But she was nowhere in sight.

When I got home I looked on the family tree and Orie had died in 1942.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, migsly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

migsly (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
LTM1477: that's a good idea. It's just that I moved since then and I'm 500 miles away from it now. But it would be interesting to see her again. And to see if my cell phone camera works. Lol.
LTM1477 (9 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-26)
Have you seen her since. I suggest going to the cemetery to see her again (if it will work)
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-17)
Completely "speechless!"

Sometimes these experiences are terrible up to fits however knowing the spirit being of someone related to you gives peace.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing! 😊
migsly (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-17)
Thanks everyone. You are very kind. I love all the stories here.

"did you find out how she is related to you?"

She was my mother's aunt. I remember my mother spoke of Aunt Orie from time to time.

"Was Orie one of the ancestors interred in the cemetery"

Yes

"Did you discuss how you were related to the family"

Just that I saw her name on the family tree.

"Did she know what the camcorder was"

I don't know. She just sat there.

"Did you discuss with your cousin the possibility that Orie was an apparition?"

Yes I did but he just blew it off.

I'm 64 (as of yesterday!) in case you are wondering.
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-17)
Did you discuss with your cousin the possibility that Orie was an apparition? What did he say?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
Greetings, Migsly, and welcome to YGS.

I enjoyed reading your straight-forward description of the conversation you had with Orie. It is very exciting to hear of a deceased family member being well-informed about a social event.

I do have a couple of questions, if you don't mind clarifying for me:
1) Was Orie one of the ancestors interred in the cemetery, or was she visiting from elsewhere?
2) Did she know what the camcorder was, or did she act like it was a commonplace item? Back in the 1930s & 40s, there were portable home-movie cameras, but they were pretty pricey until after WWII.
3) Did you discuss how you were related to the family members you mentioned, or did she seem to know you already?

Thanks,
Biblio.
BlackDiamondRattlesnake (2 stories) (9 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
That is fantastic to be able to talk to one if your past in relatives. Obviously your Orie wanted to meet her relatives further along the family tree that she hadn't been able to meet in life as you hadn't been born yet. Clearly too she is interested in her family line carrying on and so was happy to talk to you.
Such a shame your camera wasn't working when she was around. No doubt the photos etc who ups have been fantastic.
Consider yourself very lucky that you got a chance to see and talk to her. I know I would have been over the moon if that was one of my family who I'd never met before.
Glad you later found details of when she died etc on your family tree. At least you know she was really a family member from a long way back.
Brilliant story to share, thanks!
Samantha aka BlackDiamondRattlesnake
Revajane (1 stories) (71 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
First of all, Welcome to YGS. Wow! Interesting encounter did you find out how she is related to you?
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
Wow! I do believe you talked to a ghost that night!
Not many people get that opportunity... I sure wish I was able to see and talk to my relatives of past years!

Thank you for sharing!
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-11-16)
Hi migsly,

The next time I have a family reunion I will be looking out for all the family members whom I didn't invite... Well unintentionally anyway

I loved that you got to talk to her and how it seems the spirit world are fully aware of what goes on with the living.

Thanks for sharing, Sarah 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: