You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Whaley House In Old Town

Real Ghost Stories

Whaley House In Old Town

 

This was about two years ago when I was living in San Diego. My boyfriend and I went to the Whaley House. The Whaley House is known as the most haunted house in America. Ever. It's located in Old Town SD. It's the oldest area in San Diego.

Now for a little bit of background: The entire area of old town is built on top of a graveyard. They even have a very small one. The house itself was built where a huge tree was. The tree was used to execute people. So that area is very active, let alone all of Old Town. I can't remember if it was all of them, but I know most of the family was killed in the house due to things that have gone down.

With that being said, we took the tour at night since I knew it would be more likely to see something there. When we reached the top of the stairs, I have horrible shortness of breath. As did some of the other people. We went into the theater room and there you can see the chair and from what I recall, a piano and some seats. The tour lady said that a specific male who was friends of the Whaley family would stay there and physically hurt females if he was jealous of something (like their men.) A little into our group chat, I felt something hard on my left shoulder holding me down and also some pinches. My boyfriend was the only one sitting by me and he was sitting on my right side. There was no one to my left and no one behind me who could've done it. When we started walking around the little theater room, my boyfriend took a picture of the chair. When we looked at it right after, we saw a little fog. Like white smoke in a shape of something. We couldn't see a face in it though but I'm assuming it was the man.

When we were in the kitchen, there was a glowing red dot and everyone was trying to take pictures of it but no one could. It kept moving around and was really creepy, but awesome at the same time.

When we were at the bottom of the stairs, we were looking at the bedrooms. I was standing around and saw a man in a suit and black hat walk down the stairs so I was going to go talk to him. There's only two bedrooms in the half of the house we were in and the kitchen but the kitchen door is very loud so we would've heard if someone went in there. I couldn't find that man at all. No one on the tour saw him either. He wasn't in any of the rooms either. He was dressed pretty old fashioned. I think that was actually Mr. Whaley. It was weird because usually when I see things, they're transparent but he was completely solid. One of the tour ladies told me that during a tour a week before, people saw Mr. Whaley leaning against the door frame listening to the tour.

Also a month before actually going inside the house, my boyfriend and I had friends from Vegas (where we're from) in town so we went to Old Town, it was 11 pm and there wasn't any tours that way. It was one of the days it was closed. But there were two rooms with the lights on.

This house is really active. My question is, has anyone here been there before and seen things?

Other hauntings by Jessicqqqq

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jessicqqqq, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
[at] DirtCreature I don't have any photos of it. I tend to feel that way about most old houses too!
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-09)
When we went, I don't remember experiencing any ghost phenomenon like when we went to the William Heath Davis House but the place felt eerie... However, it could simply be a feeling brought on by the atmosphere created by the staff. You know, going into an old house and feeling that "there's something here feeling." I know my mom said that she felt something there but I'd have to ask her again for clarification. Is it possible you could post the picture of the fog/possible apparition, Jessicqqqq?
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-09)
I remember reading that Yankee Jim was so tall that it was difficult to hang him... And that he's still around the property. Thanks for sharing your experience Treehouse.:)
DirtCreature (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-09)
Same I've been to the Whaley House and I also believe it's haunted. You can feel it when you walk in. I would hope that they wouldn't have fake ghost projections and stuff to trick people. If they did that would be so messed up and ridiculing of people's personal beliefs for a quick buck.
treehouse15 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-09)
I've been to the Whaley House before and it's definitely haunted. Out of three visits, I've seen two apparitions. Most notably, I saw Yankee Jim as a full-bodied apparition run across the master bedroom, appearing at the site of a chair he had just levitated and banged against the back wall (I'm not joking). He was dressed in mid-19th-century attire and ran across the room, vanishing immediately before reaching the closet that connects the master bedroom to the theater. While he was running he looked opaque and just as real as any flesh-and-blood human. He also affected the real world (billowed the window curtains and ruffled the rug) while he ran across the room. There were two other people next to me that saw the exact same thing.

A few years later I saw a partial apparition (which vanished a little below the shoulders) in one of the 2nd-floor bedrooms.

That house is definitely haunted and active. The staff aren't paying people to dress up in costume, and the house doesn't have any strings/hologram/projection machines that could recreate what I've seen here. (I don't know if such technology even exists).

Your comment about Mr. Whaley being completely solid makes sense. Apparitions seem to be opaque, except when appearing/vanishing. However, the vanishing/appearing occurs very fast. When I saw Yankee Jim materialize and dematerialize in the master bedroom, each time that happened took probably no more than 1 second.
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-24)
Hi Tweed,

Thanks for the comment! I thought so at first but it just looked so real!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-20)
Hi Jessicq,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Unfortunately I think some of the ghosts at Whaley House are employees paid to play a part. I can't find anything online to confirm this, of course, they wouldn't exactly advertise that. But both yours and another's experience of this place have similarities that feel a bit too pantomime for my liking. Really hope I'm wrong. They probably think it's 'harmless fun' and 'good for business', but if Whaley House, or any other place, does give false ghost tours, shame on them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: