You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Unexplained Experience In A Hampshire Country House

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplained Experience In A Hampshire Country House

 

Around 13 years ago my wife and I experienced something that still baffles us to this day. Her brother and his family were residing in a wing of a large country manor house near Preston Candover and had asked us over for a party at their local pub after which we were to stay at their place.

On arrival back from the pub we had a chat and a nightcap after which we retired. The wing was arranged in an 'L' shape with the family bedrooms at the end farthest from the main house, living room and dining area in the center and the large spare room at the end abutting the main house (connected to the main house by a panelled over door), myself and my wife were spending the night in this room. It must also be stated that we were the only people on the whole estate at that time as the owner and his family were away for the weekend... Apart from us four, the house was deserted.

All was fine and we eventually got to sleep until around 2:00am when I was awoken by my wife who had, for several minutes, been experiencing what I can only describe as the sound of people working (moving heavy furniture, banging and a general bustle) and at regular intervals the sound of heavy mesh doors opening and closing and what seemed to be a lift motor whirring. The noises became louder and louder to the extent of causing the light on the ceiling of this single-story wing to start swinging violently. Not wanting to alarm my brother-in-law and his wife, all we could do was to sit it out until, as the sun rose, the phenomenon vanished. I still vividly remember sitting in the corner of that room in a state of shock watching the ceiling lamp swinging until it eventually stopped.

At around 8:00 we heard the distant sound of my brother-in-law making tea in the kitchen at the other end of the wing. Surely they must have heard the noises? Eventually, he knocked on our door and in a cheery fashion asked if we had slept well and whether we wanted toast and a cup of tea? Immediately, we responded with a full account of what we had experienced to which he responded that his daughter was scared to enter the room as she had experienced something when she was using it as a bedroom, she now had to sleep in a very small room at the other end of the wing.

I asked him what was behind the panelled doorway and he explained there was an old fashioned metal lift that was put in during WW1 to move beds between floors when the manor was a hospital for casualties.

Had we actually heard the sounds of casualties being admitted during some crisis during WW1 or WW2?

Other hauntings by Pilotpaul

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pilotpaul, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kealie89 (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-04-04)
Great story... I agree that it was probably a residual haunting very interesting
Infikiran (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
Hi Pilotpaul,

Very interesting story, I really enjoyed it. Sounds a lot like a residual haunting of some sort. Sorry it kept you awake but I bet it was an awesome experience to behold. I'm curious to know what types of activity occur in other WW1 and WW2 hotspots. Lots of energy I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing
Jetson (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-07)
A really fascinating account. I have to say yes that you were experiencing or re-experiencing a moment in time. I have to wonder how or what triggers these experiences. Are they simply 'recorded' and somehow 'played' again given the right circumstance? Or are they connected in some way to the person (s) who are experiencing them... Perhaps reflecting upon a past life experience. Its really a thought that turns over and over in one's mind. Thank you for sharing.
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-07)
Incredible experience. I totally agree with Manafon1. You were fortunate to have an audio experience from another time. Thank you for posting. I'm envious.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-06)
Hi Pilotpaul--Really enjoyed your account. I have read many case studies where people have reported hearing everything from battles that had taken place decades to centuries earlier, sounds of invisible WW2 bombers flying overhead (and sometimes crashing) and some reports that are quite close to what you and your wife experienced. Another member just posted an account of the sound of a possible paranormal nocturnal lawnmower.

As the house you were staying in had been used as a hospital in WW1, it seems very likely that you were hearing a replay of tense moments that transpired there long ago. Neat stuff! Being kept awake all night isn't fun but it seems you and your wife were privy to hearing some bustling hospital activity from decades earlier. Thanks for sharing your account and welcome to YGS!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: