You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Ghostly Guardian Pt 1

Real Ghost Stories

My Ghostly Guardian Pt 1

 

I've always been what some people would classify as 'sensitive'. Comes from growing up in a haunted house, I guess, where things would go bump in the night with almost daily frequency. I've had many, many ghostly encounters over the years, but nothing like this, and I don't like to tell this particular story often for two reasons. 1) It has a tendency to make the people I'm telling look at me as if I'm crazy and 2) It's very personal in the fact that it changed my life, and how I look at life, completely.

This particular ghost story happened on September 24, 2008 in a hotel in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Part 1

If you need to know anything about me, my love for Scotland would be it. For as long as I could remember, I dreamed of going to Scotland. I longed to gaze upon the beauty Glen Shiel, walk across the stone bridge of Eilean Donan, and after two years, my husband and I had finally scrimped and saved enough to make my dream come true. We had hired a touring company to drive us around the country as neither of us trusted the other in attempting to drive on the other side of the road. Our driver was scheduled to pick us up in Inverness the next day, so we had made reservations to stay in Edinburgh for one night before catching the train north in the next morning.

The room we were shown to was nondescript. A bed, couple of chairs, en suite, it was your standard, completely impersonal, hotel room. Not much bigger than a closet, I wasn't impressed with the accommodations at all. I never could have guessed how that small, bland room would stick with me every day since!

After having dinner and exploring our small section of Edinburgh for a few hours, my husband and I decided to turn in. Easy for him. He's always been one of those people who falls asleep the second their head hits the pillow. Not so me. I have a tendency to toss and turn until I can finally turn my brain off and get some sleep. I was laying there on my side and for some reason I started to think about the location of our room. If you looked out of our window, the next building's flat roof was located maybe four feet below our window. Needless to say, it wouldn't have been difficult for someone to cross that roof and break into our room. While I'm laying there, thinking all of these worse case scenarios, I felt a squeeze on my left arm.

"That's kind of weird," I thought to myself before returning to my tortured thinking. Not even twenty seconds later, it happens again, but this time it was HARD. I could actually feel the fingers pressing into my skin! I immediately sat up and started rubbing my arm. "Ouch! That hurt!" I muttered into the darkness, never expecting that I would get an actual reply! "I'm sorry," he whispered into my head as the entire exchange was telepathic. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

Now I've had a lot of ghostly encounters, but I've NEVER experienced anything LIKE THIS. I was having an actual conversation with a ghost. Surprised doesn't quite cut it when describing my reaction. I wasn't frightened. I was never frightened. I was excited! This was INCREDIBLE!

"That's okay," I thought back at him. I can't explain it, but I knew the visitor was a man. "I just wanted you to know that you're safe. I'm on guard. You can go to sleep," he continued.

I will never, ever forget my response to this. I looked down at my husband who was sleeping so soundly and thought, "This is the most incredible moment of my life, and you're ruining it." The ghost obviously found this humorous because I could actually feel his amusement. You must understand that my husband is a super light sleeper, and I was afraid to talk aloud for fear that he would wake up and ruin what was happening.

I did debate waking him up for a long moment, wanting to share this experience, but the ghost's reply stayed my hand. "Don't wake him up. Let this be our moment."

Those words were almost prophetic. Eight years later, and I still remember it as if it were yesterday. My husband was slowly starting to wake up, so I whispered, "Please, don't leave," into the darkened room and laid back down.

And he didn't leave. He traveled with us our entire trip throughout Scotland, but that's for Part 2. And for those of you who read this, no, I never did ask his name. That's always the question I get from the few people I've told this story to. Yes, I could kick myself now, but how can I explain? It just wasn't important at the time. We had connected so far past the use of names that they were completely inconsequential.

Other hauntings by Laura0943

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laura0943, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Cecil-XII (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
This is so beautiful! It reminds me of my own ghostly guardian. He's quite the gentleman himself like this chap!

I'm glad somebody else has had an experience like this, it really puts me at ease.

I'm going to read Part 2 now. ^^

Lovely story Laura! Thank you for sharing it!

With kind regards,

Cecil
mythem (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-27)
Oh, my, what a lovely story! I absolutely love this. Going into my favs! I think this may be a deceased family member who's looking out for you. I would say more, but right now I'm off to read part two! Thank's so much for sharing.

Best of luck,
Mythem
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-24)
Tweed yes exactly.

Manafon I'm not aware they arent from the UK which is why I found it a tad odd is all 😊
AFieryCupcake (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-22)
Hi Laura0943,

As I visit Edinburgh quite regularly, it does not surprise me that you came into contact with a spirit. As a Scot, I understand my country's long historic background, so the man you were talking to could have been from however many years ago! While I cannot hear spirits in my head (yet lol!) I have had dreams of communicating with both my grandfather's. Many people have had experiences in Edinburgh, I can assure you will not have been the only one. I'm humbled that you met such a hopefully nice Scottish spirit. 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-22)
Morticia--This particular experience was supposed to have occurred in Scotland. That's why "United Kingdom" shows up as the country where this account occurred. On Laura's profile it shows she is from Pennsylvania. From what I gathered she and her husband had never been to the UK before and hired a driver to deal with roads they felt would be too much for them.

Tweed--Maybe the tour guide tells all their customers that they have some major connection to some location they visit. You know, to make them feel "a part of it all." As for the Scotland/Germany issue... No idea 😜.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-22)
I thought the same thing Morticia. I also find it intriguing the tour guide provided info revealing the castle once belonged to the OP's family. 😐
For those playing alone at home, a comment was made by a new member who got their facts mixed up and called Scotland 'Germany' for some gloriously delicious reason. The OP has not returned since.
The devil is in the, not so distant past, detail and Rexy I could kiss you!
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-22)
Having read part 1 I have to ask about your comment of "We had hired a touring company to drive us around the country as neither of us trusted the other in attempting to drive on the other side of the road" Why? Well you list yourself as being in the UK and Scotland drives on the SAME side ie the left.

Could you explain this at all?
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
Hi Laura0943, great story, thanks for posting.
How delightful that he apologised for hurting your arm then told you how you're safe and can sleep as he is on guard.
I doubt I could have remained as calm as you though 😆
Cheers; Benny.
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
Straight to my Faves! Jumping, no, leaping to part 2 now!

Thanks!


Mother of Beagles
bugbear808 (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
I agree with spiritwaiting- I am off to read part 2 right now! Thanks for sharing!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
Laura0943,

I really enjoyed this part one! Can hardly wait for part 2! 😊

Thank you for sharing
Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: