You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Ghostly Guardian Pt 2

Real Ghost Stories

My Ghostly Guardian Pt 2

 

We left for Inverness the next morning, and that beautiful city would become our base for the next week while we explored castles, ruins, and lochs. During one of our many travels, we had stopped along the side of the road so Pauline (our driver) and I could discuss our next destination while my husband slept in the back seat. We had just finished plotting our course when I heard, clear as day, "Ach! Boring!" in a clear, Scottish brogue from directly behind me.

I glanced at Pauline, but she was eerily oblivious to the opinionated entity in the back seat. Surreptitiously, I tried to crane my neck around, hoping to garner at least a glimpse of him, but my eyesight has never been up to par with my hearing when it comes to spirits. How I managed not to turn around and ask, "Well, where do you want to go?" still boggles my mind. Pauline had been quite clear during an earlier conversation that she didn't believe in ghosts, which still makes me chuckle after everything I've experienced, so I really didn't want her giving me THOSE looks for the rest of the trip.

Let me just give you a heads up. If you are ever planning to travel to Scotland, Urquhart Castle is a gold mine of spirit activity. At least it was for me. I was walking around filming with my video recorder when I happened to notice that my battery had seriously depleted in a short manner of time. I murmured aloud, "Wow, this thing goes through batteries really quickly." I got a response I really wasn't expecting. "What's a battery?" Near the ruined pigeon tower, a female whispered at me, "Friend, that's a lowlander..." but I never heard the end of that sentence.

Playing back my recordings when I got home, I found that when we were standing near the pigeon tower, you could actually hear what sounds like a group of men psyching themselves up for battle beneath the wind. They were hooting and yelling. I was amazed that I didn't catch any of that live, but sometimes you just don't.

My main reason in going to Scotland was to visit Eilean Donan. It might sound nuts, but I've dreamed about that castle since I was a little girl, and the pull to visit it was incredibly strong. It was there that I had another encounter that stays with me. We were walking up towards the castle doors, and I started wondering if my ghost was still with us. I whispered aloud, "Where are you?" in Gaelic and again, got a response that I will never, ever forget. His response to my query was, "I'm not going to leave you, I swear."

There were many, many more instances of EVPs and whispered comments, but none can compare to Eilean Donan and the hotel in Edinburgh for me. That trip completely changed my life. It validated every ghostly encounter I'd ever had previously and made me realize that I'm not crazy. There really are spirits all around us. Night, day, at home or anywhere...they'll show up where you least expect them and touch your life in ways that you never anticipated.

I was heartbroken when we left and had to come back home. His final parting words to me as we boarded the plane were, "Enjoy your life." I keep those words with me when life just seems to get harder and harder for how much more meaningful could those words be coming from someone who's no longer living?

One funny little side note about that trip. My husband barely slept at all. He kept telling me that he just couldn't get comfortable no matter where we stayed, and that the only good night sleep he had was our first night in Edinburgh. I had to laugh. I knew we were being looked after and slept like a baby our entire trip.

Other hauntings by Laura0943

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laura0943, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GreenGhost1985 (15 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-25)
I really love this. I'm very new to this site. I just found it a month ago. This is going in my Favorites!
mythem (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-27)
I find it kind of sad that he didn't come with you, but who knows, he might not have been able to. Those parting words, though. So touching. I wonder what ended his life and what would cause him to say that? Perhaps he died young and wasn't able to enjoy his own life. This, along with part 1, is going into my favs.

Best of luck,
Mythem
AFieryCupcake (1 stories) (11 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-22)
Hey Laura0943,

I absolutely loved part 2, so thank you for sharing! I'm so happy that you loved Scotland as much as you did, and found it absolutely hilarious about what the spirit said! Definitely a typical Scot! I'm wondering if the battle cries you heard were of the battle of Eilean Donan in 1719, when the castle was held by the Spanish Jacobites and attacked by the British. I live not too far away from the castle, and have been many times before and I do feel many entities there, just as in many other Scottish castles. Again, thank you for appreciating Scotland so much, it's really uplifting to read someone loving your home country.
Argette (guest)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
I've always believed that somehow our ancestors watch over us...
rexxxy421 (guest)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
I don't know if you believe in past lives but there are many stories and events recorded that state if you admire a time period or location you could have been part of it in a past life. To me, it sounds like you may have lived in Germany in a past lives. Maybe even worked in or built the Eilean Donan castle. Anything is possible. The spirit that was looking over you could have been a companion or a family member in a past life. I'm happy to hear your experiences in Germany were life changing. Great stories! 😁
Laura0943 (2 stories) (2 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
RandyM - You're correct in that most people have a tendency to forget that these spirits are still people. Much to the chagrin of my family, I haven't forgotten that fact at all and have a bad (according to some) habit of inviting spirits I meet on my travels to come home with me. 😉 There are only 2 rules I ask them to follow - 1) Don't do anything to hurt my cat and 2) Respect my stuff. I give them full permission to haunt my husband all they like 😉
Laura0943 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
I actually learned that my family clan once upon a time did own Eilean Donan. I remember looking at Pauline in stunned surprise, mouth hanging open in shock! 😲
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
Laura0943,

Amazing stories! Thank you for sharing, and yes... I can relate to your reluctance to recount experiences like this, you just know that most people will not believe you and will search for a rational explanation.

Matrix
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-20)
Hey Laura0943, part two really spoke to me of a spirit that had your best interests at heart, so much that he even found the proposed route "Ach! Boring!" And his affirmation he was still with you, how gallantly protective. What got me though were his parting words "Enjoy your life", how does one respond to that than take him at his word. So touching and heart warming, he obviously had a soft spot for you.
Kindest regards; Benny.
BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
Dear Laura,

Your brave Scott's parting wish for you gave me a little thrill! How special an encounter was that whole trip? I am hoping for something like that when I go to Ireland in June, but alas, it is my husband who will probably have an encounter... I lived in a haunted house when we were in college, and never once did I discern a spirit. I just saw the evidence, and had to deal with the results!


Mother of Beagles
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
Laura0943

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful part of your life.
Before I read the comments I was also thinking along the lines of
"spiritwaiting"
I also wonder if the place has such a strong pull for you because of a past life. Perhaps the voice is of someone from the other side that knows you well and you just don't "remember" them while you are here on earth for this particular time. Possibly a family member or someone who is very close in another way.
Something about true ghosts encounters is that the person can remember every detail for years down the road. Unlike our other memories that become clouded and fade with time.
I'm so glad that you had a positive experience. It seems that a lot of people forget that a ghost is really nothing other than a human being who no longer has a body and the restrictions of our 3D, gravity encumbered world. I suppose its a fear that we learn growing up that a dead person is something to be feared when it really isn't.
Just to be clear, I'm talking about ghost of the former living, not an entity that has never been human.
Anyway, I really enjoyed your story and hope you will share more of your encounters at some time.

Regards
Randy
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
Laura0943--I enjoyed both parts of your ghostly Scottish guardian account. I just left a comment to elfstone on another story where I rambled on about the theory that most apparitions are telepathic in nature. Your experience with a voice telepathically communicating with you is a great example of how the deceased interact with the living.

Whether it's an apparition, a voice, or even a scent, a telepathic link seems quite certain. Thanks for sharing your Scottish adventure while being accompanied by an unseen extra traveling companion!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-19)
And I like this part 2 even more!

Maybe just maybe and this is just a thought...

In a past life, you somehow were connected to Scotland and that particular castle.
Or maybe your ancestors are connected in someway.

Have you tried looking into your ancestors, and the history?

This put a smile on my face this beautiful morning.

Love this going into my favs!

Thank you for sharing
Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: