You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Last Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

A Last Goodbye

 

August 1997, suburban Sydney, NSW Australia

I was sitting in my office at work one afternoon, when I had a phone call to say my father, aged 56, had collapsed and been taken to hospital. I immediately rang the hospital, to be told that he had passed away, heart attack.

I had to go to my mother's work and pick her up, take her to the hospital, and we got to see him and say our own goodbyes, as well as my brother who had arrived at the hospital. After this I took mum home and stayed with her, and we decided not to tell my grandparents that night as it was late. We would go there and tell them tomorrow.

In the morning, we drove to my grandparents' house (my mother's parents, who were very close to my dad and like his own parents, their son-in-law). We went in, and before we had a chance to tell them what had happened, they told us a story.

The night before (about 8 hours after dad passed), they were sitting up in bed watching tv, and from the wall behind them (or so it seemed) came a strange glowing "thing", perhaps like a firefly, about half the size of a golf ball, hovered gently over them for maybe 20 seconds, then slowly made its way over their bed towards the window, went through the window and was gone.

My grandparents could not figure out what this was, and my grandfather as he was, had to get up, go check every room of the house and check the fuse box, as they were perplexed.

After this we had to tell them about dad, and we were all convinced that this glowing orb was dad passing through to say goodbye.

Other hauntings by luckdragon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, luckdragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ainhoa (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-13)
Hi luckdragon,

I have heard this from other people. Some have seen a bright light flashing at the same time as they were a sleep.

I really would like to hear more about Liverpool Ghost, you have mentioned there were more incidents that have occured.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-12)
Luckdragon

Thank you for sharing a very personal experience.

What you described has been described in thousands of cases where a person has passed and a light shows itself to someone very close to
The person who has just died. Just more evidence that we continue on after shedding our earthly bodies and that love guides those souls to make one last stop on the way out the door and allows them one last moment with those they love.
It also allows those left behind to know that those who have passed are never far away and we will reunite with them when our time comes.

Thank you again for this uplifting story

Randy
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Hello luckdragon! Sorry for your loss. I have a similar experience but I honestly prefer your story than my experience. Hope I can read more stories from you.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
luckdragon--There is nothing wrong with the color of the orb your grandparents saw. I was just curious about the color as blue is reported quite a bit. The colors of paranormal orbs and flashes could very well be dictated by the preference and will of the spirits generating them.

On another subject, I noticed two typos in my first comment--"you" instead of "your" and "go" instead of "to". Gotta remember not to add comments right after I finish work 😜
Santosh12 (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
A nice story. Similar stuff happened with a good friend of mine a few years ago. He was very close to one of his cousins who was mentally challenged. The two lived thousands of kilometers away from each other and would meet only during school vacations when my friend would go to his village. After his cousin died of a prolonged illness, somewhere around at night, my friend heard the voice of his cousin saying goodbye. He didn't understand it then but the next day he got a phonecall saying that the cousin had passed away the last night
luckdragon (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-11)
Thanks for the comments. Manifon1, my grandparents described the orbs as bright orange, just like a spark, hence grandpa checked the fuse box etc. I hope this doesn't mean anything bad, as I like the idea that it was dad dropping by. Thanks for re telling your story for me, I appreciate it.
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
That is lovely, LuckDragon.

We heard an odd noise and a flash at the moment my grandfather died.

How wonderful that a determined spirit can manifest in this way.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-03-10)
Hi luckdragon--So sorry that you Dad passed away at only 56. It definitely sounds like that was him stopping by your grandparents house go say goodbye. Quite often, "farewell visitations", are reported as glowing orbs much like you describe (my wife and I had a cat who visited us after his death as an orange-ish glowing orb, in the general shape of a cat).

Spirits commonly will not appear as an apparition but will make themselves known by more subtle means. After a close friend of mine died, she visited me by forcefully shaking the chain of the shades to a sliding door that leads to my outdoor deck. When I stood up from the couch I was sitting on to investigate, it instantly started making bizarre loud popping sounds that seemed to come from within the cushions. I knew it was my friend saying farewell. Returning to the golf ball size orbs your grandparents saw, my wife and I experienced something similar. I have described this incident before but I feel it's worth repeating to compare to your account. My Mom died of cancer and three years later my Dad died. I was talking about them to my wife and how I hoped they were together. At that exact instant two golf ball size flashes of bluish/white light flashed simultaneously, almost like two flashbulbs going off. I saw one in the living room but my wife saw another coming from the connecting dining room.

We both felt it was a symbolic way of telling us, "yes, we are together", each flash representing one of them. I am curious if your grandparents ever mentioned the color of the orb they saw? Quite often, as many accounts on YGS attest to, the color is bluish. Just interested if this one was too! Thanks for sharing your interesting account.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: