You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Last Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

The Last Visitor

 

I have been lucky in my life to have met a number of my great grandparents. This story is from 2011, when my great nana passed away.

When Nana passed her funeral was held at a funeral home not far from where I lived in the city. My mum, dad and sister drove up for the funeral from the small town we are all from originally, and picked me up in their way. I've always had encounters with the paranormal, and I find funeral homes particularly "busy" places, where spirits may see that we are more open in our grief or our closeness to the other side having just lost a loved one.

The funeral service was held in the main room of the home, with the coffin at the front of the room in a little area like a chapel, beautifully laid out with flowers. I went and laid flowers on the coffin with my sister before the service started. The service was held, and then we moved next door to an adjoining room for a tea and biscuits. There were around 30 people at the service in total, and the vast majority were my family members, and some extended family that I had met when I was young, but not for a long time. Despite the sadness of the day, it was nice to meet with some very distant cousins who were the same age as me.

During the tea and biscuits I needed the bathroom. The toilets were located at the front of the building, which involved walking back through the room the service was held in to get to them. I was fine on the way as I followed another lady, but once I'd used the toilet and stepped out again, I realised that I was entirely alone in the large room with the coffin. I looked over at it, and was surprised to see that there was a man there, looking over the coffin with his head bowed, paying his respects. Something just wasn't quite right. The man had an other world type of haze around him, and his suit just wasn't quite the right colour, like he was faded. He was a very tall man, and no one at the service had that description.

I stared for a moment, but then felt like I was intruding, and hurried back to find my immediate family in the tea and biscuits room. My great nana had been married three times in her life, and whilst my great grandfather had died quite young, her second husband had always been described to me as a big, tall man (he too had died before I was born). I wasn't scared, and nana's last visitor didn't acknowledge me at all, but I feel like there must have been a reason I was able to see him that day.

Other hauntings by BiancaB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BiancaB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+4
10 months ago (2023-07-08)
Nice read dude. Good to know that not all ghosts are scary and say boo! 😜
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-08)
BiancaB,
What a lovely experience you've had - being able to witness one of your Nana's true love's. I say true love's because I have a feeling that man could have been the love of her life or at least she was his and that's why he visited. He must have been waiting for the service to finish so he could show her the way to the light.
May they both RIP.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-07)
Rajine, that's a really beautiful thought about her husband being around to help her cross over. I can't vote for you at the moment, but I really like that idea!

Bianca, I hope you can identify him from the photos. I had the fortune of identifying a spirit from a photo a few years ago and it was an awesome confirmation moment. I think whoever this man was must have been close to your nana during her life. ❤
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+4
10 months ago (2023-07-06)
Hi BiancaB

Perhaps it was your great grans second husband paying his last respects, or waiting to help your great gran cross over...
BiancaB (5 stories) (2 posts)
+5
10 months ago (2023-07-05)
After remembering the experience and writing about it today, I spoke to my Dad. He always knew nana's second husband as his Pop, and when I asked him to describe him to me, this man fits the description. I'm going to try and track down some photos and look for myself.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-05)
Hi Bianca,

It really seems like this spirit was indeed there for your great grandmother's service. I would try to identify him too.
Due to a family business I grew up around a lot of funeral homes. Yet I found them the least supernaturally active places. Weird. 🤔
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+6
10 months ago (2023-07-05)
Hi BiancaB.

Have you had a chance to corroborate if this gentleman was your nana's second husband. Like, perhaps, finding an old picture of him in a photo album?

It is a reassurance knowing that our departed loved ones are not gone forever.

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: