You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Weird Experience In Hotel Room

Real Ghost Stories

Weird Experience In Hotel Room

 

I've had paranormal experiences since I was a child, having a special gift of precognition and very accurate intuition. When I was younger I found these experiences frightening, but the older I get the more laid back I am about things and just find them interesting. I also have a very healthy scepticism, and will always look for logical explanations for anything unusual.

In 1999 my eldest son, then aged 11, and I went to Thailand for a 3 week holiday. After landing in Bangkok late in the evening we stayed at the hotel at the airport, catching the train from the airport railway station to Ayutthaya, the ancient capital of Thailand, early the next morning.

I had booked our hotel accommodation online - just a local 3 star Thai hotel in close proximity to the World Heritage site of the old city. Ayutthaya was brutally sacked in 1767 by the Burmese, the city destroyed and its citizens either marched off to slavery in Burma or slaughtered. We arrived early in the afternoon, checked in and left our bags in our room and went out to explore the ruins of the ancient city.

Due to jetlag catching up with us, we didn't last long and were back around 5 pm having an early dinner in the hotel restaurant, before retiring to our room. I was a bit concerned about security, especially our passports and money, so I not only locked the door, but put the chain latch across it, before putting everything into the room safe. As it was still early and still light outside I switched off all the lights and closed the window blinds. By 7 pm we were both dead to the world.

In the middle of the night I suddenly came to consciousness with the overwhelming feeling that there was someone in the room. I gradually gained enough courage to slowly open my eyes. Every single light was on in the room - overhead, side lamps, as well as the entry light. I thought someone had broken into the room, so waited and listened for sounds or movement. When I didn't hear anything I got up and checked the hallway and then the bathroom. Nothing. Not surprising as the chain latch was still in position and it would have been impossible for anyone to have entered the room without making a noise. I checked the safe and nothing had been tampered with. I glanced at the bedside alarm clock and noted that it was 3 am. Having seen the local Thai poles and wires I just assumed it was some weird glitch with the electricity, so I switched off all the lights and went back to sleep.

The next day my son and I went out for another exhausting day of visiting ruins and museums, and once again were felled early in the evening with jetlag. In the middle of the night my son woke me up, in a panic telling me that there was someone in the room. This time the room was completely dark. I reassured him that there was no one in the room and gently urged him to go back to sleep. I looked at the time - 3 a.m. Roughly the same time as the night before. I realised then that I hadn't been imagining anything the previous night. I didn't tell my son about my experience as I didn't want to frighten him.

The next day on returning from breakfast my son noted that unlike all the other hotel room doors which were decoratively carved teak, our room door was plain white pine. He was absolutely convinced the room was haunted. Thai people are extremely superstitious and have many different categories of phi (spirits). Nearly all Thai houses will have a spirit house outside the house - like a small dollhouse complete with miniature furniture and food offerings in order to accommodate household spirits and lure them away from the household.

Before I could stop him, he told the staff at the hotel front desk that there was a ghost in the room. The alarmed and frightened looks on the front desk staff faces indicated that they knew there was a story with the room. I guess they deliberately gave the room to the farangs, as the majority of guests were Thai.

While out and about that final day I picked up a protective shield Sothorn Buddha amulet from a roadside seller. I also did some spiritual protection for both me and my son on the third and final night, before telling whatever it was that it had to move on into the light.

Whether it was the amulet, the psychic protection, or acknowledging the presence, we finally had a quiet night without any disturbance. I've had quite a few paranormal experiences in my life, but have never experienced multiple lights turning on by themselves like that. It was pretty impressive.

Other hauntings by Lotus29

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lotus29, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-20)
Lotus,
I finally saw your video link - that was funny! Thanks for passing that along.
Lotus29 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
This is a particularly funny Thai ad featuring a pantheon of traditional Thai ghosts:

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEThuaKLvzo
Lotus29 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
DandK - you never know what's happened in a hotel room do you?
Lotus29 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
Manafon 1 - now seeing the lights switched on WOULD have freaked me out. I rented a house in the same suburb I live in now before buying our home, and I had a very sticky drawer in a chest of drawers violently pulled out one night. It woke me up and I just pulled the doona over my head and hid! Next morning that drawer was open so I didn't imagine it. The lights at the back of the house used to turn on of their own accord on occasion there as well.
Lotus29 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
L_Melb - I've thought about it abit and it seemed like my concern about security got played on the first night. I've only experienced that feeling three times, and in each case it was a deceased relative in spirit. My son was unaware of what happened the first night, and like I said I just put it down to some quirky electrical thing. There is no way I would share something like that with a child, especially when you are navigating your way in a completely different culture
Lotus29 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
lady-glow My son was a chronic bed wetter (young adult before he outgrew that habit!), and was an incredibly deep sleeper. It could take up to 20 minutes to half an hour to wake him up to prompt him to go to the toilet once he was asleep. As much as I would have loved him to get up and go in the middle of the night it never happened. We were really jet lagged so were totally out to the world.

Even hotels have spirit houses - they are much bigger than residential ones. I really quite like the idea of luring them away from the house.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-26)
Interesting story, Lotus. I had an experience with a light turning on in a hotel room next to the bed. I also had a strange experience with light that I wrote about here:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=23142

Last week, my husband and I were staying in a hotel room, and I woke in the middle of the night and saw what I thought was my husband walking back to the bed in the dark. All I could see was his black figure against the small amount of light from the window. He stopped at the foot of the bed and I found it strange that he wasn't getting back in bed when a second later the bathroom door opened and my husband walked out. Don't know know what what the dark figure was!
L_Melb (220 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-24)
Hi Lotus,
A good question from lady-glow about the lights and it seems you already had a worry about theft/intruders.
I wonder how much your son picked up on your worries and perhaps jumped to the same conclusion - kids are mighty perceptive.
Thanks for an interesting read, L
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-24)
Hi Lotus29--I enjoyed reading your account of a spirit switching lights on. Like you, I have had a number of paranormal experiences, including three involving lights. One in particular is similar to yours except I witnessed them being turned on.

My wife and I have pet care business and were staying at a house for several nights watching a family's yellow lab. We were in the den, which had a vaulted ceiling with multiple recessed lights, along with lights over the fireplace and four other lamps around the room. We were discussing how the house had a "heavy" atmosphere when suddenly EVERY light in the room began either switching on and off, or in the case of the recessed ceiling lights, dimming and brightening, as they had switches that allowed one to set their brightness. This lasted for fifteen or so seconds and then stopped. Nothing like this ever happened there again.

Two other incidents at a later date proved to us that the house is indeed haunted. Glad that the Buddha amulet and the spiritual protection you carried out allowed you to have one peaceful night's rest. Interesting stuff--thanks for sharing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-24)
Welcome to YGS.

This is a fascinating and intriguing experience. Did you ask your son if, by any chance, he got up and turned on all the lights?

According to Wikipedia, in Thailand:

"Most houses and businesses have a spirit house placed in an auspicious spot..."

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_house

Was the hotel lacking it's own 'spirit house'?

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to sleep well for at least one night during your stay in that hotel and hope the spirit was able to cross over... Perhaps he was bored staying in the little house without a working TV set.😜

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: