You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lifted Off His Feet

Real Ghost Stories

Lifted Off His Feet

 

This happened to my Dad some years back. The house my parents were living in was a two bedroom house. There was a small patch of grass in the front of the house and the veranda was just two steps from the front gate. When visitors arrived during the day, they always walked to the back of the house and knocked on the kitchen door. However when visitors arrived after dark, they would knock on the front door which was very close to the street.

One evening at around 20:00 my mother got into bed. My father joined her a few minutes later. They weren't in bed more than five minutes when to their complete surprise they heard a knock at the kitchen door. My father, although somewhat concerned, got out of bed and walked out of the room toward the kitchen at the back of the house.

Somehow my mother also had the feeling of 'foreboding' and called my father back to the bedroom. She said 'dont open the door, first ask who is there'. My father replied that was exactly his intention. Then he turned and left the room again. As soon as he walked into the passage he felt what seemed like hands on his elbows, lifting him entirely off his feet. He was carried down the passage, through the living room, toward the kitchen. He recalled that out of absolute fear he was shouting at the top of his voice, yet there was no sound coming from his mouth!

Once he was in the middle of the living room it felt as though he was being pushed from behind by whatever was carrying him into an invisible wall. Something (or someone) was stopping him from being carried any further. Suddenly he was let down ever-so-gently back onto his feet. He never made it to the kitchen door.

He turned and walked right back to the bedroom. My mother recalled that when he walked into the room the sweat was pouring down his face and there was no colour in his face. When he lay down the bed shook for quite some time before he could calm down and tell her what happened. They never found out who was their night visitor.

Other hauntings by Meldel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Meldel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
Hi Meldel

My husband spent most of his childhood/teen years in Uitenhage and he has SO many ghost stories to tell of the place. His brother also has tons of them. Personally I find Uitenhage incredibly creepy (particularly that area on a hill by the old reservoir - I think it is called Casper or Kaspar street). Those trees and houses really freak me out!

Thanks for your story. I'm pretty sure that there were at least 2 different entities there that night.
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-15)
Hi Fergie. I re-read your question. You asked me where I am from. I live in Honeydew Roodepoort (close to Wilgeheuwel Hospital). Not too far from Randfontein. 😊
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-08)
Hi Anno_Domini. Unfortunately my dad passed on. I would love to sit with him and hear the story (and other experiences he had) once again.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-08)
Hi Meldel, is your dad still around to recount the story in greater detail?
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-07)
Hi there Cloudy. I often wonder about that night and what exactly did the 'negative' spirit want. Was there more than one 'negative' spirit? Who was the 'caring' spirit that stopped my dad from harm's way? I would certainly love to know. I have since posted another story that happened to my parents in this house. It will hopefully appear soon. It's also a very interesting story. Thanks for reading Cloudy. Cheers!
cloudy (7 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-07)
Maybe a good spirit just tried to scare and make a point by first carrying him towards the door and then marking a stop! Then it worked anyways! Thanks for sharing 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-06)
Ahhh, Question... You stated this in a remark...

"I think there were two spirits. The 'negative' one was the knocker. Knowing that my dad would not open, he carried him in the hope that he could be forced to open the door."

Here is my question...

If the negative spirit WAS 'at the door' knocking to gain entry HOW did it lift your Father 'inside' the house and attempt to carry him towards the door 'hoping' your Father would 'open' it so it could get in?

Methinks there may have been more than a couple of spirits at work this night...Or...

Things that make you go Hummmm.

Respectfully,

Rook
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Hi lady-glow. Yes, I think you are quite right. I too believe a protecting spirit was there to ensure that the 'evil spirit' at the door could do no harm. There were no break-ins at the time and the area was very safe back then. I do believe that the house was built on someone's grave. I will post that story shortly.

Hi AugustaM. I think there were two spirits. The 'negative' one was the knocker. Knowing that my dad would not open, he carried him in the hope that he could be forced to open the door. The 'protective' spirit knew what was about to happen and therefore stopped it (the wall).

Hi Fergie. This happened in Uitenhage. I will post a few more. Thanks for reading.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Meldel, I don't blame your dad for being scared senseless, I would be too.

This was an interesting narrative to say the least.

Which part of SA are you from? Being a SAfrican myself, I would love to know. 😐
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-03)
So do you get the feeling there were multiple spirits at work here? From the way I read it, it seems as though there was a spirit carrying your father to the door that wanted him to open it then another spirit (the 'wall') that stopped it... And maybe the knocker too was a third spirit? Curious! What do you think?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-09-02)
Hi Meldel:

Though, in my opinion, there's not enough information in your story as to know for sure what or who lifted your father, I think your story is fascinating. Somehow I consider it possible that a protective spirit didn't want your father to open that door, perhaps preventing him from a encounter with someone/something negative.

Any idea if break-and-enters were common in the neighborhood around the time when this experience took place?

Hopefully you'll decide to participate in the discussion since your feedback would make this story even more interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: