You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Was It Something In The Ground?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It Something In The Ground?

 

There are only two supernatural experiences that really stand out in my life. I shared the first one in my last entry and now I'd like to share the other. I wish I could say this one is as happy as my last entry but it's not. It's not nearly as intense as some of the stories I've read on here but for us it was absolutely terrifying.

This took place back when I only had two children. My youngest was about 2, and my oldest, who was most effected at the time, was about 6. I was pregnant with my 3rd child so it must have been 2011.

We had very recently moved into a little farmhouse on 5 acres. In addition to the house there was a barn, chicken coop, and a handful of other outbuildings. The house was built in the 1950's but the land itself was from a subdivide of a larger farm that had belonged to the same family for generations. I had been told that the reason our plot of land no longer belonged to that family was because of a serious falling out between the 2 brothers. We did get to meet the brother that owned our little section once. That's a story in itself, not supernatural though. No matter how much he looked the part, I don't think he actually WAS Jerry Garcia's zombie. 😉

Anyway I absolutely LOVED the farm and got right down to business hatching chickens and adopting orphaned baby goats. There was just one area I didn't like. In the back of the garage there was this makeshift storage room built. That room was odd enough but what really evoked fear in me was that in the floor of the storage room there was a trap door that opened into another small room that was dug into the earth. My husband insisted it was probably just a makeshift root cellar kind of thing but the idea of climbing down there made me want to wet my pants. I just chalked it up to watching too many horror movies and tried to stay out of the back of the garage. It did seem to me that the dogs were uneasy in that area too but I figured they were probably just picking up on my vibe.

A few months after we moved in my 6 year old started talking about the "pictures in his head." He knew what a dream was and although these pictures did seem to bother him most at night he never described them as dreams. At first I didn't think much of it, he's always had a wonderful imagination, but as they became increasingly violent and distressing to him I started to worry.

Now I know what people think, he probably saw a scary image somewhere and was reacting to it. I would have thought that too, but I can tell you with certainty that my 6 year old had never seen images of beaten and broken naked women being impaled one on top of another on giant spikes. Or of people being very graphically torn to pieces and fed to what I can only describe as hell beasts.

Things got bad fast. My poor child was scared all the time. I spent so many nights sitting up rocking him while he cried that it wouldn't stop and praying over him until he could get some relief and the exhaustion would get the better of him. Then I would sleep on the floor leaning against the side of his bed so I could hold his hand. I felt like we were all losing ours minds.

One day in desperation I spilled it all out to an older friend I knew at church. I thought for sure she'd think we were all criminally insane or something but she just calmly looked at me and said "Well looks like we better get a prayer team out there ASAP." Honestly I was half expecting her to show up with Tangina from the Poltergeist movies but nope, just other (mostly older) people I rubbed shoulders with every week at church.

They walked our entire property starting with the land and outbuildings and worked their way to the house, praying and anointing many places with oil they brought with them. They didn't want to make my son feel as if something was wrong with him so they just included him as they walked and prayed and then prayed over and anointed him specifically when they did the rest of the family members.

There were two areas in the house that my friend "saw" something. One being that weird root cellar room in the garage and the other being in the large closet in my husband's basement office (under my son's bedroom) where it turns out there was another hole covered by a board. It was about the size of an old well but only about 5 feet deep or so. There was an inch or so of water at the bottom. To this day my friend will not tell me what she saw.

After they left, on their instruction, I wrote a prayer over EVERY window and door in the house as well as near every entrance to our property and my husband walked the entire property perimeter praying and periodically pounding in specially blessed stakes. Less than 24 hours after completing everything I could already tell a difference in my son. By 48hours all the "pictures" were gone. Within a week he seemed to have almost no recollection of any of it. Today he does not remember it ever happening at all.

What I wonder though is this: Do you think whatever it was was tied to the house or to the ground the house was built on? The two most intense areas were in places with holes dug into the earth. If it is the ground I wonder if they have any of the same experiences on the rest of the family farm?

Other hauntings by The8Ms

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The8Ms, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Positively_Paranormal (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-29)
Goodness,

This sounds like a terrible experience but how wonderful to get to witness the power of prayer. Love stories like that. Personally it's too hard to determine if this attachment is to the property or to the house. I almost feel as though it's to the property/land as a whole. You mentioned you heard rumors about a makeshift abortion service somewhere near. When tragic events happen on any land it can infect it and can also bring out some nasty entities. I feel like whatever was there was not a human spirit. The reason I say that is because the images it chose to flash in your sons mind sound like a slideshow from Hell. The place. It wasn't to share it's story or serve a purpose but to instead inflict fear. This entity definitely went after the most vulnerable and was trying to feed off of the fear. But we could speculate for hours what it may have been.

During this time did you ever recall any odd or disturbing smells?

I am glad that you reached out to someone at your church. It was meant to happen.

God bless you and your family,

+P
(Also from MN) :)
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-05)
Augusta I get the same feeling. Googling disappearances is a great idea. I guess the only question now is, do I really want to know? 😳

I did encounter an older woman once who claimed that decades ago there was a rumor that there was an illegal abortion clinic being run out of one of the houses in that area. Word around town was that some of the women brought there were, for one despicable reason or another, being forced into the procedure against their will. I never really gave much thought to connecting it to our experience though because I have no way of knowing if it was our house or even if the story is true. Plus what would that have to do with the ground? Maybe there were remains disposed of or deaths that needed to be kept secret?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-29)
It might have been interesting to have excavated and investigated those two holes. There may have been evidence to indicate what went on there - I.e. A burial or evidence of human occupation. I get the feeling that something quite terrible happened there- like women being taken and held in those pits awaiting god knows what awful end. Isolated out on a farm and stuck down in a pit no one would hear them. Sorry to get so dark - I just get a serial killer vibe from this one. Maybe Google disappearances in the area during the time before you lived there - there are so many crimes that go unsolved. If you have the name of the family that lived there, maybe Google them too.

If it had been an elemental - then what did the lady from church see? Why would she have been so horrified by it?

Curious and chilling!
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Jubeele,
It WAS terrifying. I was able to diffuse the situation quite quickly but we put gates up across the driveway entries very soon after that.

Sadly we no longer live there. Our family size outgrew the cute little farmhouse. I miss it but we still have a little farm and have even been able to add a few to our little menagerie of animals who needed a place to live out their days.

I am not a practical farmer at all. I like to think of our farm a little bit like the animated version of Charlotte's Web. LOL That's not to say we haven't raised animals for food but it's the exception around here and I always reserve the right to pardon any animal I see fit. 😆

My husband never felt anything out of the ordinary. He very much believes that spirits and energy from events can influence things here but he is not really sensitive in that way at all. As for the dogs, he never mentioned them acting strangely although that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't... If I was home they were almost always with me but we wouldn't have thought that to be out of the norm either. I very often have a little entourage of tiny humans and animals, it's just how life works around here. LOL

Thank you so much for your comment and have a beautiful evening!
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
The8Ms, that's terrifying! Having a strange angry man barging onto the place, ranting and raving poses a real-life threat. Especially as he seems to be unstable. I hope you've taken precautions or increased your home security to avoid having further visits from him. 😟

Wonder if he and his family left behind a lot of negative energy, which in turn fueled the manifestation of some troubled spirit?

Did your husband not feel anything strange at the time about the root cellar or the closet in his office? If he wasn't as affected as you were, then your dogs should not be uneasy in the garage when they're with him. This should determine whether or not they were simply picking up on your fear. How are your dogs now after the cleansing and prayers? Animals do have sharper senses about when things are "off". Their sight, smell and hearing detect things that we can't. So I won't totally discount their reaction. It's just one of the factors to consider during such situations.

I'm glad you and your family can now enjoy that lovely farm. Be safe and well. 😊
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
The previous owner just showed up one day and started letting himself into all the buildings, telling us everything was wrong. Scared the crap out of me! He seemed to kind of feel like he still owned the place. He mostly just wanted to talk about how horrible his family was and how they were so unfair to him. He wasn't super lucid and he was a very angry man.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
The8Ms, that farm sounds lovely; I always wanted to retire to such a place, to be closer to the land. It was such a shame that your stay there was marred by such frightening events.

What a horrible thing for your son to go through. From the strength of your gut reaction, I agree you could be right: the issue probably stems from the land. This could mean that even if you were to pull the house down and rebuilt a new one, the disturbances will probably start up again. For some reason, I thought of earth spirits or a type of elemental who was upset at some past atrocity committed on the land. Wonder if some past evil-doings created a sort of residual sinkhole? Did the previous owner (Mr Zombie-lookalike) tell you anything about the two holes-in-the-ground?

Your son, with his young "open" mind probably picked up on horrific past events. I've also read accounts of women who have reported how they experience strange happenings during their pregnancies too. Some believe that the hormonal changes or the special energy from carrying a new life makes you hypersensitive to the spirit world during that period.

Thank God you found help from your local church. It sounds like they did a thorough job. I'm relieved to hear that your son can now sleep peacefully, without fear. Thanks for sharing this experience. 😊
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
I personally did not. I only went in the storage twice in the about 4 years we lived there and had to fight back panic on both occasions just doing that. My husband and the people who prayed over our house did though and it is my understanding that it did not look like anything more than a hole dug in the ground. That's part of the reason I wonder if it wasn't the room so much but more the ground itself, if that makes sense?
publicways (32 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
Did you ever look in the root cellar sir? Was there anything unusual in there that would make you think it was something more sinister than a place to store vegetables?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: