You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Hole In The Ground

Real Ghost Stories

A Hole In The Ground

 

We were going for a drive one Sunday morning. Me, my mother and my stepfather. Just a bit of sight seeing of farms in a village called Philidelphia near Blouberg in Cape Town. I wish I never looked in that direction, because what I saw haunts me still.

We were driving passed a open farm. The grounds were just ploughed and it was just one large open field of sand. Suddenly I saw something very strange. I saw a hole in the ground, and someone was inside it, it looked like he was busy digging. When we drove passed, this little black man jumped out of the hole, and it took a few steps towards the car and then it just looked (very angry) as the car drove further away... I just sit in the backseat of the car, speachless!

Till today I can not explain this one. It looked like a dwarf or something, but it used it's forearms more than it's legs to move. It scared the daylights out of me.

In South Africa, the native culture believe in something called 'The Tokkelossie'.

They believe this Tokkelossie is a very small black man that can do witchcraft, and they are very scared of it. They also believe that the Tokkelossie wears his balls around his neck, but I am sure that is a bit overexacturated... Many people claim that they have seen this Tokkelossie, but mostly the natives. This is also the people that believes in the Sangomas (Witchdoctors). I don't know what I saw that day, could have been a Tokkelossie..., who knows. But whatever it was, it was one of the creepiest things I ever saw!

Other hauntings by anneke8

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, anneke8, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
maybe it was just a councel worker digging a hole... See... No big mystery
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-25)
Hi Moonfall. I also like to investigate things. Of course it is much easier to just 'investigate' on google... 😊 I can sit for hours and do research on a topic.
MoonFall (1 stories) (48 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
I have never heard of this creature. Thanks for sharing the story and a little about native SA folk legends (or are they?) I know a few people from SA, but have never thought to ask them about such things. I suppose its because I don't share my believe of the paranormal with just anyone. But I'm a scorpio and investigating/research is one of my things.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Temilicious, thanks for the info, I am not an expert on the Tokkelos, but I shared what I know. Who knows what evil things is going on in this world he?
Darkness, I also heard a story long ago about a guy that thought a midget was a troll. Who knows what is going on in their minds, shaim. If I did not know this people, I would have been sceptical too.
I am glad I could make you people laugh a bit, life is too serious!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
anneke8: I'm pretty sure I have heard that story of the Tokkelossie and the Downsyndrome boy before, but instead of a Tokkelossie, it was a troll, the rest of it was relatively similar and it was a joke. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
anneke: I'm sitting here really LMAO!...Your friend's son managed to do what a lot of us have only dreamed of! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
Oh my gosh Anneke, that last comment kills me...

I am a native South African and I guess most of the information you shared about the tokoloshe is correct although I am not sure about how they are created. That is a mystery only Witches know so...

It is not necessarily a male because like you said, it has large genitalia but often has woman characteristics as well, this is because these witches try creating a being and can't get it right so it looks half male, half female, often looks half burnt and like you said covers its distortion with cloaks.
It is known to be a very mischievous creature that doesn't attack children but plays with then often forgetting its tasks bestowed on it by its creator.

I doubt what you saw was one, unless your 3rd eye is open because I heard from a local witch-doctor (sangoma) that if you want to see one you must apply dog's sleep upon your eyes and sit outside all night. She also advised not to do this because you don't only see tokoloshes but all night creatures animals tend to see.

Maybe it was that poor Jahovah's Witness plotting his revenge...lol... (just joking).

Interesting story and well informed.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
Oh Anneke, That was hilarious! I have not laughed so much in a long time. Thank you for that. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† I guess, both the son and the midget learned a lesson that night!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
anneke8,
Oh my goodness, I haven't laughed that hard in a while! I think that image will stay with me for a while! That is so hilarious! That poor little man! Just imagining him trying to escape, and this guy tackles him down, throws him in the loo, and forces him to eat good food! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† I can't stop laughing now!

Jav
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
Ya Javelina, For the Xhosa and Zulu people in Africa, this thing is very real, and they are very scared of it. Something rather funny happened last week, I think I must share it with you. Some people my brother knows have a down syndrome son. He is a young adult and very independant. He has his own grannyflat in their backyard. So last week his mom and dad left him alone at home and went to a restaurant. While they were there, he phones them, asking his mom what does a tokkelossie eats... His mom is blown away by the question, but tells him that it should be the same food a human eats. Of course they went home right away, very curious about what is going on.
At home they find their livingroom in a mess. It looks like someone was in a very serious fight, and their son is nowhere to be seen. They run to the grannyflat and knock on his door. He opens up with this bewildered look on his face, and the place looks like a bomb went off inside it! His mom asks him what is the matter and he tells her he just cought a tokkelossie. His mom ask him where is this tokkelossie and he tells her it is locked up in the bathroom. He had to fight this tokkelossie to catch it and it put up a hectic fight, but he already gave it something to eat in the meantime. His mom and dad opens up the bathroom door, and there they find a very very upset midget.
He is a Johova's witness and came knocking on the door
To spread the good news, when all of a sudden this boy started chasing him, calling him a tokkelossie! And ofcourse he catched him and draged him inside and fight with this poor guy until he locked him up in the bathroom!
πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
anneke8,
Oh my! All that you just told us is quite new to me. I don't remember all that was in that TV episode that I mentioned before, but I don't think any of it was like your information. YIKES! They make these creatures? Well, there goes my sleep for the night.
Seriously, that is some gruesome description you gave. And you saw one? I understand your shock at seeing it much better now. That is creepier than creepy.

Jav 😲
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
Darkness - Yes, people believe that by raising their beds, the tokkelos can't reach them when they sleep, however, this believe is only shared by the white people.
The Tokkelossie's name ref. To a dwarf zombie.
The Xhosas (natives in South Africa) believe you can create such a creature by removing the eyes and tongue of a corpse, then shrink the head with a heated iron rod that's thrust into the mouth. Life is breathed into it by means of a secred powder blown ito the mouth. They are domestic spirits of witches.
They are brown and hairy, usualy naked or wears a cloak. They only have a single buttock. It's private parts it so large, that he wears it around it's neck.
They are usualy invisible by adults, but if you see one, do not speak or point at it. He achieves invisibility by means of a magic pebble it keeps in its mouth. It can be killed by a sangoma (witchdoctor0
Bur can also be invoked by one.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
I have heard of this creature before, is it true that people who live in this area and are aware of these Tokkelossie's put their bedframes on top of piles of bricks, so the creature can't reach them while they are sleeping? πŸ˜• Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

(Granny Ballchinian hahaha lmao I have heard and used that before I think lol) πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
anneke8,
I remember watching an episode of Destination Truth, either last year or the year before, and they had gone to look for that little creature. If you google the show, I'm sure you'll find it. I know how you feel, my daughter got a huge fright one night, and she swears it was El Chupacabre. She says she has seen him after that as well. Creepy, if you ask me.

Jav

[at] granny,
I just got my breath back from my last bout of laughter, then what do I find? The "Ballchinian"! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
Hi Anneke, If your 'gut' tells you it's scary - stay away from it, put as much distance between you and IT as possible. Your 'gut' is usually right. πŸ€” 😊 I am sure a lot of readers will agree with me?
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
True. I don't know about you guys, but when I see something weird, it is like everything is going in a slower motion. I watched Men In Black a long time ago and can't remember it so good, but I think I must watch it again 😊 A few weeks ago I watched a program om satelite - KYKNET, a SA show called Rian, where a police investigator told stories that he himself have encountered that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! Stories about calls he received from people that saw the Tokkelossie. One day he went over to this house where this black girl claimed the Tokkelossie molested her. While the detective were there, a unknown very small man came into the house like the place belonged to him, but when he saw the detective, he ran away. The detective said it could have been very well a Tokkelossie...
Willowwhisper (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-22)
There has to be something in local legends, and there is much in this world we know nothing about, so it could well have been. Your insticinct tells you when you are facing something unnatural.
snowhite (203 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-22)
in this story, your ghost is your fear. I don't see anything to be scared of, might be a little man was digging a hole and got mad since your car just passed by and caused the dirt fall in his eyes. 😊 logical?
HAZMATT (1 stories) (5 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-22)
ok found out a bit about it on here africantokoloshe.com/tokoloshe-how-to-chase-this-african-goblin/ sounds like a mad little fella. Wouldnt f--k with it though lol.
HAZMATT (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-22)
Hahaha ballchinian! This little creature has peaked my interest. May have to look it up and learn more.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
I keep learning so much here! Never heard of a Tokkelossie. I have done a cursory search online, and will delve into this a bit more.

It always intrigues me the things you see driving along. One night I saw a small figure with red eyes sitting in a tree. I thought perhaps it was some sort of large bird. Now I'm not so sure. It was about 17 years ago, long before I started believing in the unexplained...
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
Wow! Anneke, you must be one of the very few white people to see a Tokkelossie, and in the day-time too. You must have been absolutely terrified! I know I would be. I have heard a few different stories on how this little man looks. It may depend on which culture the teller belongs to?
πŸ˜•
Thanks for another great story. 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
anneke: I'm so sorry, and I don't mean to sound rude, but the first thing I thought of after reading your discription of the Tokkelossie was the "Ballchinian" in the movie "Men In Black" πŸ˜†...I crack up every time I see that scene, and to this day I don't know what happens in the rest of the scene...

I agree with you, that would have been a creepy sight... Thank you for posting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: