You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Just A Cap-gun

Real Ghost Stories

Just A Cap-gun

 

I'll never forget this...

Around 2 years ago, my family (and a friend of mine) visited Gettysburg, Pa, one of the bloodiest sites of the Civil War. My friend and I walked around town, taking in the beautiful sites. We came across a museum of various Civil War-era items, such as a soldier's uniform, a musket, and other various trinkets. I talked to the man behind the counter. At this time was when I started getting interested in the paranormal, and I was chatting with the guy, asking him about experiences he may have had. He told me when he was walking through the woods, he could see a faint soldier hiding in bushes, and once he could hear the sound of a drummer boy's drum, beating rhythmically. Then he told me if I fired a gun in the field, I might get a reaction. I shuddered, a result of my fear and excitement mixing together.

So, I decided to buy a cap-gun (considering it wouldn't be likely I could get my hands on a real gun) and set off to the field. By now the wind carried a chill, and my friend was getting antsy. We walked through the path, and faintly, I could hear the trot of a horse. My friend decided it was probably a re-enactment, and I grew disappointed. I really had wanted to fire the cap-gun, just to see what would happen, and it might not be possible if the field is already in use. But by the time we got there, there were only a few people on the field, at the east and west sides.

I and my friend decided to run farther in toward the middle to fire the cap-gun, just to get the highest chance for effect.

And when we counted to 3, pulled the trigger, and waited anxiously, I'll never forget that POP! I hoped we would get something, but a gunshot? I and my friend ran so fast out of the field our legs were ready to fall off by the time we stopped. The people that were already there ran too, easily hearing the shot.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SabishiTheRedfox, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RSAChick (115 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-12)
Thanks AugustaM. Yes, a noisy toy gun, lol!
Agree with your comments as well!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-11)
Wait...if there was a reenactment going on, there absolutely would be gunfire and not one of the individuals thus involved would've run in terror at the sound of it. Also, a museum employee who tells a young teenager to go out on public land and fire a gun doesn't sound like the soundest hiring choice to me.

For the record, this is a cap gun: https://goo.gl/images/L4QMys
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-04)
Sabishi:

Do they sell cap guns at the museum? If so, it's possible that someone else was playing with one and what you heard was the echo of another toy gun.
The same goes for the horse, did you walk around checking if a horseman was wandering around?

In my opinion, there's not enough evidence in your narrative as to say that you had a paranormal encounter.

Thanks for sharing.
RSAChick (115 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-03)
Hi Sabishi,
I feel a bit confused after reading this.
What is a cap gun? Those noisy toy guns?
And describe what happened after firing the toy gun. Did you hear a gun shot?
Could it have been one of the many other people there also firing a toy or other gun?
What makes this experience paranormal?
Sorry about all the questions!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: