You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Bossy Voice And The Bottle Cap

Real Ghost Stories

The Bossy Voice And The Bottle Cap

 

After living in another town and attending university there, I've moved back to the family home this past September. I want to tell you about two separate occurrences that me and my sister experienced within a two week time frame. Both of these things left us scratching our heads. I was wondering if they might be connected and what you guys make of it, as I'm sure a lot of members on this site are way more experienced when it comes to events that are possibly paranormal.

Leading up to the events, I think I should mention another event that startled me and I never found an explanation for. Here it goes: one evening I was home alone. I was in my room, reading. Suddenly I noticed heavy panting coming from the far corner of the room, by the window. It sounded like someone breathing really loudly through their mouth. Now, my room is on the third floor and the windows are quite new and soundproof, it didn't sound like it was coming from outside at all. I stared at the corner for a while, the breathing sound never stopped. So after what felt like an eternity but was most likely a couple of seconds, I grabbed my phone, nonchalantly walked out of the room, then locked myself in the bathroom (for some reason, the upstairs bathroom is where I always felt the safest in the house). When I decided to come out about 5 minutes later, everything was normal. Just to be safe, I hung around my dog (a fat, scaredy cat Westie) until my parents got home.

After this I would hear random knocks coming from that same corner. It was always one knock at a time and happened maybe three or four times a day, at various times. Now, this has been my room for over ten years and I have never experienced these knocking sounds before. I thought it might be because of the windowsill heating up and cooling down or something like that. But this lasted for only around two weeks, until the event that prompted me to write this story.

So, I tend to stay up until the wee hours of the morning because I've always found I am more focused and productive at night. Due to this I almost always sleep in. So one of these mornings (ha) I had just woken up (around 11 to midday), the sun was high up in the sky and shining brightly and I started looking out the window and thinking about what I would make for breakfast (cereal or an omelette? Coffee or black tea?) but also contemplated lounging in bed for a little longer because I felt super cozy and warm.

So right in the middle of my should-I-stay-or-should-I-go dilemma I heard a voice, clear as day, coming from that same corner of the room. It was a female voice, I would say it belonged to someone older. It said something along the lines, "Aren't you going downstairs already?!" in this super annoyed and bossy tone. I was so shocked I almost fell out of bed. I just stared in disbelief at the general area the voice came from for a while before deciding this was my cue to get up and scurry downstairs to the kitchen. There have been no strange goings-on in my room since.

Then, about a week or two later, my sister told me about an event that left her wondering. It was a Saturday evening and she was getting ready to go out. She was doing her makeup in her room but decided to go to the bathroom and fill a plastic bottle with water. She walked from her room to the bathroom (a distance of about ten steps), filled it up and as she walked back she took a sip from it. When she got back to her room she noticed the bottle cap was nowhere in sight, so she thought she had left it by the sink. Walked back to the bathroom, looked for the cap around the sink, on the ground, it was nowhere to be seen. So she just shrugged, went back to her room and saw the cap was not only on the bottle, it was firmly twisted on! She told me she almost had a heart attack. She was alone upstairs the whole time. I was downstairs and our parents were out.

I haven't told my parents about the lady voice or any of it, but my sister told our mom about the bottle cap and she found it mildly amusing.

I feel I should mention that our house is just around the corner from the village cemetery (like a two minute walk away), where some of my ancestors are buried. I don't know if that has to do with anything but nevertheless, I thought I should bring it up.

If you're curious about the history of the home: it was built in the early 70's over an empty field by my grandfather for his family (it's in the countryside). I grew up in the home and it's generally a very pleasant and safe place. There would be a random event every once in a while (maybe once a year or so) that makes us think 'what was that?' and sometimes we find a perfectly good explanation for it, but sometimes we just don't know. These were definitely experiences of the latter kind.

Other hauntings by fineandmellow

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fineandmellow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-23)
I bet that spirit was in the corner the whole time, even that morning and just got really annoyed that you were just laying there and not going down stairs, and so she just let that slip out of her mouth on accident. I'm not sure why it all stopped, but why complain. Thanks for sharing your story. M 😊
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
I'd like to add an update to my story: the day after I had sent in my story, my mom told me that only seconds after she put out the lights before going to bed, the neck massager that's stashed in the bottom drawer of her nightstand randomly went off. She immediately switched the light back on, and it stopped. The device is touch activated, so there's no on/off switch. I think it has been laying there unused for months. I don't know if it's connected or even paranormal but it's definitely something we added to our 'weird' list!
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Hey! Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it 😳

Vintageglam, I don't have a TV in my room and my cell whistles when I get a message, so that couldn't have been that. The voice seemed to come from the same area, so I naturally assumed it came from there. My room is not very big and the far end isn't really that far away, and it didn't sound like it was all that close. My grandma and my dog were in the kitchen that's two floors below but I could tell it wasn't her. My door was closed, plus she's a rather soft-spoken lady and would never attempt to throw me out of bed 😆

WiniPu4, thanks, I do hope it isn't anything harmful, certainly doesn't seem so. I find it quite intriguing (so far).

Wish-Not, at the time it didn't really occur to me to reply! I don't think I made a peep, just stared at the corner for a while. If there was anyone there they probably laughed their ghost-heads off, just looking at my expression. I might leave the recorder on the next time I go downstairs for breakfast, that's an excellent idea. I just don't know what I'd do if I caught anything! 😲
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
fineandmellow- WoW! If that's not some encouragement to get to moving on with your plans I don't know what is! That's crazy! Obviously there is something up with that corner of the room. Must be a favorite for someone. I wonder if it would have been the same entity from your room that was messing with your sister.

Have you ever thought of trying to talk with it? One might think of trying to recording it. Never knows what you can hear.

Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated. Would love to hear more.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Hello:
It sounds like it could be your ancestors watching over you. It doesn't sound like they are intentionally trying to frighten or harm you, but to just let you know that they are around. While it can be frightening for those not accustomed to spirits interacting with the living, they don't sound like they mean any harm. If there's anything that particularly scares you, you could try telling them. If they are ancestors or those that care about you, then they would probably be respectful of your boundaries and not wish to frighten you.
Kind Regards,
Lynev
vintageglam (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
This is a very interesting story. I'm not sure if the bottle cap or the knocks on the wall is paranormal. But the voice that spoke to you, is spooky. How did you know it was coming from that same corner? Did you have your T.V or cell phone on? Were you the only one in the house, when this happened?

Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: