You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandpa Said Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa Said Goodbye

 

As a child I spent a great deal of time with my paternal grandparents. My grandpa was very religious and did his best to make sure we knew the Lord as well. He lived the later years of his life unable to leave his house. So when I could go visit him it was very special to me.

In 1998, he had a stroke and was hospitalized. We all went to see him, not knowing if he would survive, he was almost 80 years old. In the hospital, he kept asking his wife to come closer, he said he missed her so much and he loved her still. My grandmother found this very odd as she was sitting right next to him and never left his side. He kept saying "Margaret I love you", my grandmother's name was Beverly. He was seeing his first wife standing in the corner and was asking her to come to him. She died in 1975. I was the only grandchild that never got to meet her. He never stopped loving her. This hurt my grandmothers feelings very much. For his recovery he had to go to a convalescent home. He never did recover enough to go home.

I had just gotten off from working a twelve hour day and was very tired. I went to my bedroom and fell asleep, At that time I was 20 years old and not prone to flights of fancy, I have always been a very grounded person. I was asleep in my room with the door closed as I normally did, I was awakened by the door opening, (I lived alone just me and my dog and he can't open doors) and my room lighting up, I looked up and my grandpa was standing in the door way. Standing! He wasn't able to stand on his own since the stroke.

I looked up and said "Hi grandpa", He said "I have to go home now. I just wanted to say I love you" I remember thinking this was odd. He can't go home, he needs the care at the convalescent home, but I didn't say anything except that I loved him to. He said "Goodbye, I love you". To that I replied goodbye, I love you to. Then he was gone. I closed my door and went back to sleep.

About three hours later I was awakened to the the phone ringing. When I answered it, it was my dad and he was crying. He said that my grandpa had passed away a few hours ago. It took a few minutes for what he said to sink in, because I was still asleep. Then I told him that grandpa said was going home, so how could he have died? He just said "What?" I did not tell him of grandpa's visit, I did not want him to think I was crazy. I did not tell anyone that until about a year ago.

Other hauntings by Shellie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shellie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Whitebuffalo, you got it right, Bev and Maggie are what he called both of them.

Margaret had died the year before I was born, so I never considered Beverly to be my step-grandma, she was all I knew, and she was a beautiful person! She loved me very much even tough I was not "her's". She never treated me with anything but love and kindness. I loved her very much, she passed a few years ago. It hurt my grandma very badly to hear him ask for Margaret, like she was standing in the corner of the room. I think she knew that he did not love her any less. She still never left his side. I miss them both dearly
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
First, I am very sorry for your loss.

How blessed to have received a visit letting you know he was tired, he would go 'home' now and would be at peace. It is wonderful that we are able to receive these visits sometimes, hopefully easing some of the hurt and loss for us, knowing that our loved on has accepted and is ready to continue on.

Second, I am certain your Grandmother who is with you now (or was at this time) was hurt.

I believe that as we are being guided to heaven, we have snap shots of the past playing for us, often including loved ones and friends we shall see again once we have crossed over. This did not and does not mean your grand father loved her any less, sounds to me as if he was very capable of loving both women dearly, they will all be together, happy and peaceful some day.

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Wow Shellie. What a miracle and a heartache for your "step"grandmother (is there really such a thing as a "step grandparent"?) She was able to be in the presence of the visiting angel that would take your grandfather home. I can feel her heart break though, as she sat dutiful by his side, lovingly stroking his hand, swathing his forehead and reading the Bible to him. She must have thought he had lost his mind.
When we get older love is such an all inclusive emotion, especially after mind altering illnesses. (high fever, strokes, ear infections in adults) While Love does not feel any less, it is a word to explain many things. Appreciation, missing someone or thing, a strong connection.
But I think he did love his first wife, as well as the second. He just had not seen this traveling angel in so long, he needed her to hear it. It did not mean that he loved Bev any less. How hard that must have been for your grandmother hearing Maggie's name though. (sorry, "pet names" come through here. I mean absolutely no disrespect.)
How beautiful that he came to tell you goodbye and that he loved you while on his journey home. He was in his right mind and was looking forward to his new place. You are so blessed to have had this visit.
Thank you for sharing.
Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Yes, he was VERY religious, Southern Baptist. The devil was always lurking around the corner, just waiting for us. I know he knows better now. I'm just glad that he went home peacefully. My dad tells me of "people" he would see as a child and my grandpa would tell him to pray the devil away. My dad said it never worked, he still saw the "people".
I am very blessed that my grandpa said goodbye, it made his passing easier. It did not hurt so much knowing he was whole again, andhe was with the Lord.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-21)
Shellie
It's so hard to lose those we love.Isn't it wonderful that he was able to come to you and say his goodbye? I am curious. Being that your grandfather was religious do you know if he had any belief in the paranormal? I find many Christians (if this is what he was) just think of anything supernatural as of the devil. It tends to clash with what they believe biblically so they dismiss it or blame it on evil beings tricking the living. So much of what you related happens to a lot of people in one form or another and I for one do not believe it's anything evil but a gift from God to us at trying times in our lives.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hello Shellie. Not everyone gets to say goodbye to a special loved one in such a personal way as you did. Consider yourself blessed.

FRAWIN ❤ 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi Shellie. I am very sorry for the loss of your Grandpa. It's obvious that you were very close to him. This is a very heart warming story. I am so glad for you that he was able to come and say his goodbyes to you and to tell you how much he loved you. Thank you for sharing your story. ~Shelby
❤ 😊
Shellie (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
I also really loved him. He was a great strenghth in my life for a long time. I still miss him very much. We were very close, even our birthdays were three days apart. I still talk to him and ask for guidence. Thank you for reading my story, I'm glad to share it without being called crazy.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Shellie, Grandpa really loved you and came to say his final farewell. How sweet. You are very lucky to have been a part of his life and afterlife. He must have really cared for you. Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: