You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Entity In Our House

Real Ghost Stories

The Entity In Our House

 

I grew up in a suburb in Natal (South Africa) by the name of Westville. It is a small suburb where everyone knows their neighbours and during the years that I was raised (I am now 43) most of the mothers were housewives. The only history I am aware of is that Indians used to reside there and have rice paddies. The rice paddies were then obviously developed. The properties were large and averaged between one and two acres.

Our home was a modest one with 3 bedrooms, one bathroom, a lounge, kitchen and dinning room. When I was born my folks decided to add on a bedroom as there were now 3 children (me and my two older sisters). Their bedroom was added on, on the other side of the house where the patio used to be. Sorry about the boring semantics, I am trying to explain how our bedrooms were on the one side of the house and my parent's room on the other.

Our house had a heavy energy to it for want of a description. We never closed our bedroom doors and the passage light was always left on. My sister used to feel and hear dripping water on her bed but when she would feel the duvet it would be dry. Nothing too dramatic that couldn't be chalked up to a child's imagination.

I must have been about 12 or 13 and my sister was 17 or so.

My eldest sister was overseas but her bedroom was always kept open for her return by my mother. The passage door between our rooms and the rest of the house was closed. It must have been about 22:00. The sounds of heavy footsteps started up and down our passage. It sounded like the person had shackles and chains around his ankles. As I am typing this I am getting goosebumps. It truly sounds like a horror movie and perhaps if my sister was not there to verify that this all happened I would have questioned if all this really did happen. I called to my sister to confirm that she was also hearing it. We were both too frightened to get out of bed. The sounds of the walking man must have continued for about 2 to 3 minutes.

Then then most malevolent and frightening voice I have ever heard said "Nooo" from our bathroom which was opposite my bedroom. I flew out of bed and ran to her room. We shared a single bed that night.

All the windows were closed, doors locked and my folks were asleep.

I am still curious as to who or what the spirit could have been and why he was there. It was definitely a male voice and was not a friendly entity. There were other incidents at that house that other family members witnessed.

I lived in that house from the time I was born until I was twenty one. I have since moved provinces and never felt the same fear as I did in that house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JLH, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JLH (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-22)
Thank you so much Temilicious. Interesting point about the prison which I am sure would add to the bad energy. We lived about 6 Kms from the prison. I would seriously love to know what happened in that area. You are totally correct about the history. I will definitely write more about the other experiences we had. Take care.
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-15)
Aw' sawubona,

I love running into South African posts because it gives me an idea of the area and feel of the place mentioned.

I was in Illovo a couple of days ago, visiting family. I, myself, am from Port Elizabeth.

I don't have much to offer as to what it could've been, all I know about Westville is it's quite an old suburb, once a German settlement and also a British owned farm before Indians resided there. I believe it was named after the farmer himself, but I could be wrong. Not too familiar with that side of Durban. How far did you live from Westville prison? That could also offer an explanation for all the negativity you were experiencing.

Whatever it was, am glad you got something positive out if the whole experience; confirmation of the afterlife.

Thanks for sharing and look forward to hearing other encounters your family might've experienced in that house.

Ngiyabonga. 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-30)
JLH,

I think it's great that you've been able to receive clarity on life after death. It's not often that people realize the spirit they encountered was just like you or I before their current state. I hope the spirits in your home found peace or best case scenario, it was residual activity.

All the best,
Dee
JLH (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-06-29)
Thanks so much Curious Dee. I have no idea about additional history of the area. I wish I did. My eldest sister and my mom experienced men dressed in black walking around their rooms. There was definitely something very dark in our house. As I got older it actually made me at peace with the fact that there is an afterlife. In a strange way comforting that there is more out there. My middle sister also had vivid nightmares.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-28)
Hi JLH,

Interesting account. My first thought is residual activity... You mentioned Indians and rice paddies, but do you have any other information on their lifestyles, work conditions, etc? The sound of chains and the voice lead me to believe something unfortunate happened, but a bit more history may help.

Did your family experience anything else?

Thanks for sharing 😊
Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: