You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Ghost Ran Across The Road

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost Ran Across The Road

 

I was at my job delivering pizzas on a Saturday night, I had just delivered a pizza and was on my way back to the restaurant. It was about 10:15 pm so it was dark. I had just passed the town's graveyard on the left, and it is a very large graveyard at that. I had never thought about it that much as there were no stories connected to it and I have walked through it a few times.

I had just gotten to the end of it and there's a car in front of me, I see something move in the other car's tail lights, and this grey-white figure about 4 feet tall goes running across the road, I could see that it had arms and legs, definitely human shaped. Now this wasn't normal running either, it was running extremely fast and its arms and legs were moving in the same manner, so fast in fact, the arms and legs looked blurry. There is no way any human could move or run that fast. It ran up in between two houses, and when I slowed down to look where it went, it was pitch black between the houses with a bunch of small trees. I was thinking maybe something was blowing in the wind, but there was no wind that night, and there's no animals here in upstate NY that have arms like humans or would move like that.

I had come to a stop to look in between the houses, and there were 3 people who were walking down the sidewalk that also were looking up there. Apparently they had seen it too and they said it ran no more that 25 feet in front of them and that they heard it's footsteps as well, so I wasn't the only one who saw it, and I swear a car coming the other way slowed down to look too. That experience sent chills down my spine. I've been trying to find stories similar to this to figure out what kind of entity it may have been to no avail.

Other hauntings by Zidagar

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zidagar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pink496 (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-09)
Very interesting experience! I think it's a good thing that other people saw it too. I think it could be a sprit slipping in and out of other dimensions which is really fascinating to me. I wish you all the best and I hope you find the answers your looking for
All the best to you - Pink496
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-05)
Welcome Zidagar,

I live in Upstate NY too. 😊 Your account is fascinating. I've seen some strange animal like creatures running across the road at night that do not fit any species native to the area. They too, are so fast, it looks like a blur. I often wonder if we are catching a glimpse of something slipping in and out of dimensions? It's mindboggling. 😉

I believe you may have seen something similar or perhaps a spirit sprinting by...

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Dee
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-05)
It seems possible to me that this may have been a ghost child. Ghosts don't always move in the same way as their human counterparts. Perhaps, he/she gets home sick in the evenings and tries to find their way back - hence the attraction to the houses across the street. Its a sad thing to think of but, the death of a child always is.

I find the Little People hypothesis fascinating as well! It reminds me of "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman - part of the crux of the novel is the notion that all immigrant peoples bring their gods (and all other folkloric and mythological entities) along with them to the new lands in which they settle. Honestly, though posited in a novel, I find it to be a captivating thought that really makes sense to me. In that case, why wouldn't there be Little People in upstate New York?:-)
Zidagar (3 stories) (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Thanks for the info Jubeele. I had never heard of something like that before.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-03)
Hi Zidagar, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing. Quite an unusual experience you had. And there were witnesses too. I believe that it was an occasional paranormal sighting and it is good that you didn't get scared and you stopped the vehicle and looked where it had gone and the other 3 persons heard the footsteps also. Even though it did give you chill down the spine, you are courageous. But a scary experience indeed.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-01)
That definitely sounds like a non-human spirit. Have you had any unusual experiences since that sighting? Sometimes they do follow people home.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-30)
Hi Zidagar, when I read about your 4-foot ghostly figure, the Wee Folk or Little People immediately came to mind. I thought it was interesting there were 3 other witnesses to the incident who also heard footsteps. It seems likely that the passing motorist saw something as well.

The idea of the Little People seems innocuous in modern-day New York, but I went searching and came across this blog by Mason Winfield written in 2015:

"As a collector and interpreter of supernatural material specializing in upstate New York... I also hear many personal narratives... My witnesses don't talk about "fairies." They report seeing strange little ghosts... The fact that there are enough reports to make a pattern of things answering roughly to the profile of the fairies comes as a real surprise."

I thought about the cemetery just behind you. According to Winfield, among the characteristics of the Little People is their connection to the human dead:

"...they seem to share the same indefinite Other World with the spirits of our dead. Earthly spots special to these Other Beings include man-made ritual spaces like burial mounds and megalithic-style earthworks."

You might wish to read the full article for yourself and find out more about other experiences in New York:
Https://www.mythologymagazine.com/mythblog/the-little-people

Thanks for sharing this intriguing account with us. 🤔

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: