You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Grandfather's Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandfather's Experience

 

My grandfather told me this story when I was a child and somehow it stayed with me. I remember being really scared by this story and maybe that is the reason I remember it so well. Anyway here is what my grandfather told me.

My village is a very small one, situated on the banks of a big river. During monsoons, the river often gets flooded and causes great discomfort and loss of property. The incident took place in 1983. It was the marriage of my aunt (father's sister) and my grandfather was going to our local market (which is about 12 kilometres from my village), to purchase some goods for marriage. As there were no paved roads connecting my village to market, and also it being monsoon season, my grandmother told him to come home before sunset. He took his bicycle and went to market. There he purchased all necessary goods and was returning home when it started raining heavily. It was a downpour and lasted for hours. When the rain finally slowed a bit, it was already dark. So my grandfather immediately started for home.

But his going was very slow due to all the mud and potholes that rain has created. He was slowly making his way when it started raining again. He cursed his luck and quickly took his bicycle under a Mahua tree (an Indian tropical tree) for shelter. While standing there under torrential rain, he started hearing some strange noises. It was as if something was moving in the canopy of the tree. Initially it was very subtle but then the branches started shaking vigorously. Now, my grandfather is a very brave man and doesn't scare easily. So he brushed it off and thought that there must be some monkeys on the tree.

Eventually the downpour reduced to a drizzle so my grandfather took his bicycle and started moving. He was gone some distance away from the tree when there was a loud thumping noise behind him. It seemed like something big has jumped from the branches to the ground. He was startled and moved his flashlight in the direction of the sound hoping to see a monkey. But to his astonishment, there was nothing. He moved the beam of light across the tree and surrounding areas but still, nothing. So he started moving again. After walking for sometime, he saw that a man was walking ahead of him on the path.

He breathed a sigh of relief as he was a bit spooked from the whole tree incident and thought it would be good to have someone to travel along with. So he hailed him from behind as not to startle him. The man replied back and asked my grandfather, where he was going. My grandfather told him the name of my village. The man said he was also going that way and they should go together. So they went together, with my grandfather walking some distance behind the man. They started talking about the weather and the crops and my aunt's marriage. But my grandfather thought something was odd about the man. First of all he never once looked back while they were talking and secondly although the path was full of potholes and mud, he seemed to be walking effortlessly, like he was somehow gliding above the ground. But my grandfather being a brave man continued walking with him. The rain has almost stopped but lightning was flashing intermittently. Suddenly my grandfather's flashlight stopped working. He cursed loudly and stopped but the man said "don't worry, I know the way very well and will guide you, You just follow me."

So my grandfather said ok and continued on. But as the time passed he started feeling uneasy because they should have been reaching the village by now. So he jokingly asked the man" brother, where are you taking me? You aren't going to kidnap me, are you?" But the man said nothing and continued walking. After this my grandfather remembers nothing but says that suddenly the lightning flashed and he was on a precipice near the flooded river. One more step and he would have fell right into the river. He said it was like he suddenly woke up from a dream. He looked around him for the man but he was not there. He was really scared now and started chanting Hanuman Chaalisa. By now it has started raining once more but fortunately his flashlight was working again. With great difficulty he somehow found his way back home. He told us that the whole time he was searching for the way back and chanting Hanuman Chaalisa, he thought he heard faint footsteps and laughter behind him. When he reached home my grandmother was frantic and told him that it was 2 o clock in the night.

My grandfather was visibly shaken and thanked lord Hanuman for saving him from the clutches of that evil spirit who he was sure wanted to drown him in the river. Thinking back he says that he must have known something was wrong when he first saw the man. Because what normal human walks alone in the dark night and rain without even a flashlight.

So this was my grandfather's experience. Please tell me what you think about it and sorry for my poor writing. Thank you...

Other hauntings by Malparvaasi12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Malparvaasi12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gj2005ster (9 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Spooky... Evil spirits come at peak at the time between 12-3 in night, we even should try to avoid traveling this time period if possible
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-11)
Thank you very much alisa... 😊
I do have some stories told to me by my grandparents... And I will try to share them in future... Thank you ❀
alisaprune (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-11)
😁 I liked that story. It was scary and interesting. Your writing skills are very good. I look forward to seeing more of your writings. Thank you for sharing. 😊
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-11)
Thank you for your comment rex t... 😊
Yes mahua is a very significant tree in north india especially in my state (madhya pradesh).
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-11)
Greetings again Malparvaasi12,

Another intriguing experience from your Grandfather.

I agree with the other posters that this was not a friendly spirit and I do wonder if it's intention was to keep the trance going longer so he would have toppled into the river but 'divine intervention' saved him (it is not very often that a flash of lightning from the heavens saves someone).

The criminal being hung from the Mahua Tree is quite ironic. Northern Indian tribal culture considers this as the 'tree of life' for all the gifts it's flowers, fruit, even bark supply. I would have thought that this was an insult to the tree to be used in this way. Is there a spirit of the tree that has no love for humans?

I'm glad that your Grandfather cleansed himself with the Hanuman Mantra before returning home.

I do have to disagree with you on one point. Your writing style flows because it comes from your heart. You can improve but don't change your style.

Regards
Rex-T
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Hey dee,
I'm not sure if he was a victim of drowning but people around my village believe that it is an evil spirit which is somehow attached to that Mahua tree under which my grandfather was standing and may have followed him from there (the loud thumping noise).
Some people also say that it is a spirit of a notorious thief who was hanged by the villagers on that particular tree during 1940s. And that's why he tries to waylay the travellers as an act of revenge. But who knows what is the truth.
Thank you...
Have a great day...
😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Greetings Malparvaasi,

Very interesting experience, and your writing was fine, no worries. 😊 At first, I thought the man may have been a spirit guide or guardian, helping your grandfather find his way, but that certainly wasn't the case.

I wonder if the man was a victim of drowning during a monsoon season? Do you have any knowledge of someone from the village that may have drowned?

Thank goodness your grandfather made it home safely. Did he manage to bring back all his goods?

Thank you for sharing 😊
Dee
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Hey Cassie (lilwolf)
Great username by the way 😁
Well, if you are talking about the spirit in the story then no, no one from my family has encountered that.
But my family members, specially my grandparents have told me several tales of supernatural encounters and experiences.
Im also glad that he didn't fall in the river. I love my grandpa very much 😊
Thank you for reading...
Malparvaasi12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Hey julia
Thank you for your comment.
No,he didn't give my grandfather any detail about himself.
A lot of people from that area have encountered this trickster or evil spirit. The people around my village believe that the spirit resides in that accursed Mahua tree and can appear in any form to people including human and animals.
Well, he did lose some of my aunt's dresses and my grandmother gave him hell for that 😨 😁...he is fond of saying that your grandma was scarier than any ghost or spirit that day
πŸ˜‰...
Thank you again for reading my grandfather's experience.
Lilwolf (8 stories) (66 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Yikes! That would be super freaky gave me chills reading it. Has anyone else in your family experienced something like that?

I'm glad he is ok and he didn't fall in the river. 😨
Jubeele (26 stories) (896 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
This is spooky! 😨 Did this man give your grandfather a name? I wonder if anyone in the village or from the surrounding areas ever encounter this trickster. It was such a nasty thing to do.

Do you think your grandfather was somehow entranced to follow the man, after he started to become suspicious? He "suddenly woke up from a dream" and realised the danger just in time. Good thing he knew the holy chants. His faith probably saved him.

After all that trouble, I hope your grandfather didn't lose the goods from the market!

Btw, your writing isn't "poor" at all - you have nothing to sorry about. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: