You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Old Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Our Old Apartment

 

So these are few of the experiences of me and my family that happened in our last apartment in Calcutta, India.

We bought a flat in a newly constructed building at a very old locality of the city. To give a small description of the flat, every floor had 6 flats and the building faced a main road and a service road on one side, and ours was the corner most flat on the second floor facing the main road and service road.

When you entered there was a small landing with my brother's room on the right and the living/drawing area on the front overlooking the service lane and a door to dining room and kitchen, with my parents' room on the opposite corner of the flat overlooking the service lane and the main road. Me and my sister sharing the same room that was on the right of my parents' room overlooking the main road, we had a common washroom between our rooms and one other washroom in the living room.

The first incident took place when my sister was home alone as she used to come back from school before us and my dad was at work and my mother was at neighbor's. My sister was taking her afternoon nap when somebody shook her legs and asked her to wake up to offer namaz, my sister has always been very religious like my parents while I am not into any religion, I do believe in a higher power. She woke up and started looking for my mother thinking she must have been back and woken her up, but my mother was not home yet so she offered her namaaz thinking my mother must have woken her up and then stepped outside for some other work. My mother came back a little later and my sister asked her if she woke her before and my mother said she just entered home.

Another incident happened with me and my sister doing our homework in our room when we heard someone using the washroom (the door was open and the water in the basin running with sound of splashing like someone is washing their face), thinking it's my elder brother I called out to him to get a glass of water but suddenly everything went silent. I waited for my brother to come out and say something like I am not getting any water or you bring some for me too, but when nobody came out of the washroom I went and checked but there was no one in there, I then asked my sister if she also heard him using the washroom and she said yes. I then walked up to our living room which was on the other side of the house and found my brother watching TV there with my parents. I asked if one of them were using the other washroom and they all denied.

One day my parents were out of town and all three of us were home. We were watching TV on a Saturday evening when suddenly we heard footsteps in my parents' room. And then suddenly it hit us that nobody should be in there. My brother being the eldest went in to check only to find no one there and the bedsheet was crumbled like somebody just sat on the edge and got up.

There was almost always this flowery sweet smell following us around. It used to just come and go on it's own. Like an invisible room freshener being sprayed by someone. My mom kept losing things and they would turn up in odd places. Like once she lost a lid of a jar to be found in my bookshelf a couple weeks later. My homework notebook in my dad's drawer, my brother's T Square ruler in the kitchen cupboard, these are just the few things that I remember, there were a lot more usually involving my mom's stuff.

We stayed at the same house for almost 5 years, we never felt threatened other than this one time when my mother was alone in the evening and she felt that someone was in the kitchen as she could hear the sound of the pots and pans and then the kitchen sink running. She went to the kitchen to check for herself thinking she might have left the tap running but the moment she entered she felt like someone was about to harm her physically. She didn't see anything or anyone but she felt threatened and came out to the drawing room and waited for us to get home. She didn't go back to the kitchen alone that night but this feeling was gone the same day and never came back.

Other hauntings by lookingforamiracle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lookingforamiracle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Electra7779 (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-10-21)
It must be a djinn. The fragrance you speak of and someone waking you up for namaz, all this happens when you have Pak djinn (pure djinn: non evil) at your house.
Gj2005ster (9 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-13)
Thanks for sharing this...

As you said "
"this feeling was gone the same day and never came back." it means you didn't experience again this feeling after this incident?

BTW,
"I do believe in a higher power" whatever religious rituals we do follow, that all come finally to only one power
lookingforamiracle (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-16)
Hey Temilicious,

It makes perfect sense. I really loved this idea of yours. Maybe you are right and the spirit living with us was really envious of what my mom had-Life, family and most of all the 3 incredible kids (this for sure makes me feel a little proud of myself😆).
I will discuss this with my mother and sister, see how they feel about this.

Regards
Nazz
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
Greetings,

...so, here's what kept crossing my mind as I read your guys'experiences; the spirit is that of a deceased lady who is drawn to your mom because she has what she'll never have again; life and family. Hence things are centered around your mom. Her waking your sister up was also her taking the opportunity to play "mom" while the real mom was next door.

The reason your mom felt threatened when she walked into the kitchen is, well we girls are catty like that, and your mom walked in on something she wasn't supposed to see. It was her private moment to play out her "fantasy" and your mom interrupted her... While she was performing her wifely/motherly duty. Does that make sense?

...or I could be making all of this up, but you guys don't stay there anymore, so we'll never know. 😁

Blessings.
lookingforamiracle (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-13)
Hi AugustaM,

Many thanks for reading the story. I am glad you enjoyed it.

I don't know much about paranormal, but in our culture, we believe that there are inhuman spirits that get attached to places and people at times. They may be good or bad in nature just like humans.
Sometimes they don't mean any harm but are mischievous and like to play pranks.

I really like your theory about energy (human and otherwise) and how it effects the manifestation of spirits. I think you are right about it. I always wondered about the same.

Regards
Nazz
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-12)
I was wondering if in your culture there is anything that seems similar to an elemental spirit - its what this activity sounds like to me. Some sort of positive entity that perhaps serves or is connected to some god or goddess and protects against evil spirits.

It is intriguing that once your mother came to live in the city, she had far fewer encounters with the paranormal. I have a theory that it takes a certain amount of energy for entities to manifest and that human activity (all the energy we produce not only with our own emotions and thoughts but in sound, motion etc) can interfere with that process. I believe that is why many encounters with the paranormal occur at night as that is when much of that interference has ceased. This could also be why your mother experienced so little in the city as there is so much more interference in an urban setting as there are more people and constant activity.

The apartment you lived in and its resident entity sound lovely - I too live with resident spirits and have come to rather appreciate their presence. I look forward to reading more of your own and your mother's experiences.
lookingforamiracle (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-11)
Hey there Dee,

Yes I also think my mother and my sister are sensitive.

Also I remember my mother used to tell us to not question any unexplained smell (good or bad both) and we tried to ask her then but she didn't say anything just asked us to ignore it.

Yesterday after reading Jubeele's comment I asked my mother again about it and her explanation was 'according to islam, after death no human spirit gets to roam the world as they need to pay for their deeds in the afterlife, so whatever we see or feel or whoever is trying to communicate with us is something that never had any human form. The unexplained smell is their way of trying to get our attention.'

Thanks for reading
Nazz
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Greetings lookingforamiracle,

I was thinking your activity might have been residual, but you mentioned items coming up missing or being moved, so that would point to an intelligent spirit. Perhaps it was both? The moving of items may be attributed to a child-like energy. Sort of how a child will play pranks.

The sweet, flowery smell sounds nice though, almost as if your unseen guest was making a peace offer. 😊 Especially as you didn't feel threatened (with the exception of one incident). I was going to say your mother sounds sensitive to spirit/energy, but see you already mentioned that in the comments. Maybe something was trying to get her attention? The same goes for your sister. Many people who are sensitive to spirit or energy are uncomfortable at times, but I wonder if they are not sure how to adjust to it or need to learn how to 'tune' in? Just a thought anyway. 😊

Thanks for sharing,
Dee ❤
lookingforamiracle (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Hi Jubeele,

Many thanks for your reply.

The tap in the kitchen wasn't running when she checked. I also think it was not a regular spirit of our house but someone/something new, but the experience was just a one time affair and it never happened again.
My mother is sensitive, she has a lot of stories from her childhood as well when she used to live in the village with my grandparents, they then moved to the city and her experiences were lesser after.

My sister is sensitive too, but she doesn't like talking about her experiences because it makes her uncomfortable and scared at times (I don't know why).

I will try and talk her into sharing her experiences here.

Thanks
Nazz 😊
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Hi lookingforamiracle, a young friend of mine from India described a similar experience not that long ago. He was woken up by voices calling his name and telling him to offer prayers at the family shrine. He also smells a sweet floral scent following him when there are no flowers around. Each time that has happened, he was especially troubled and it gave him comfort. His guru or spiritual guide, has explained to him that flowers are an integral part of worship and rituals. Their fragrance evoke a welcome and appeal to our senses.

The flowery smell could be signs of spirits being near as they seem to coincide with things being moved around the place. As you didn't feel threatened at the time, perhaps they were just being curious or playful, and meant no harm.

Your mother appears to be particularly sensitive to the spirits as they seem to be after her attention the most. I'm glad she wasn't harmed by whatever was in the kitchen. Was the tap actually running in the sink or was it just the sound of water? Since it was just that one time, it might have been a spirit passing through. Who knows, maybe a benign spirit made it leave you all alone...? 🤔

Thanks for sharing your experience. Peace and well-wishes to you and your family. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: