You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirited Workplace

Real Ghost Stories

Spirited Workplace

 

I apologise that it has been so long between my posting to this site, but for privacy and confidentiality reasons I was unable to submit this until after I ended my previous employment. I also apologise as this is a series of short anecdotal accounts, and may be a bit of a marathon to read. These accounts are in no chronological order I am documenting them as I remember them, sorry if this makes it more difficult to follow.

As I have previously stated through my first two (2) accounts, I have seen "things" for as long as I can remember, these are some of the things that occurred to me whilst I was working the overnight shift (10 pm-6 am) in an older residential aged care facility on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia.

For a little background the building itself is divided into two (2) wings "A" & "B", with A running straight ahead from the front door through to the back door, and B at a 90 degree angle from the back door left. From the front door left to where it met B wing was a couple more rooms, the staff room the main dining room and kitchen the entrance to the laundry, and the visitors restrooms. 'A' wing is primarily woman and 'B' wing primary men.

The first account was not long after I started working the overnight shift. I was on with a lady around my own age, we were doing our regular rounds to check on the residents, we had almost finished on A wing, in the second last room, room 7, when I heard a deep male voice say "get out", this was a shared room with a couple of ladies in there, none capable of speech, the door to the room was closed, as were the windows and we had done our usual check of the room before closing it up just in case anyone had wandered during the night. I looked around from where I was and being unable to see anyone shook it off as imagined.

Five (5) minutes later in the next room, a single room only one (1) man in this one once again windows closed, door closed, no-one else present in the room, I heard the deep male voice say "get out" again. This time the other carer looked at me and said "get out"? And asked if I had heard this in the previous room, when I told her that I had she went very pale and was in a bit of a rush to get out of that room.

Later that morning around 4 am as I was walking down the corridor past room 7, something/someone grabbed me by the left shoulder and pushed me hard enough that I stumbled about six (6) steps. When I turned to confront whoever had pushed me there was no-one there.

Room 7 was an interesting room for these activities; the door would swing itself closed constantly, no matter the weight or size of the object propping it open. Once the door had closed the sound of things being pushed around the room would be clearly heard and when the door was opened, all the chairs in the room would be arranged in the centre of the room. Several times, and by numerous staff over many years, two (2) different women have been seen in that room, one is a woman of average height in an all white nightgown with long straight white hair, the other a shorter woman in a blue nightgown with her hair up in a beehive style. Of the two (2) the lady in the white night gown is the more forthcoming, and likes to play tricks.

While walking past room 7 one night, I looked up at the back door of the facility, a large glass double door, to see the lady in white smiling and waving at me from the other side of the glass, as I had not been expecting this I promptly turned around and walked back to where I had come from and took 5 minutes to calm myself before heading off again.

Another night as I walked into room 7, I headed straight for the secondary light switch so as to not disturb anyone, this was on the far side of the room next to the rooms vanity sink and mirror, I switched on the light, turned around and the lady in white was maybe ten (10) cm away from me smiling sweetly, when the light flicked on she vanished. This only occurred once and even so I would wait for the light to be fully on after this so as not to receive that shock again.

As anyone walked into the rooms the privacy curtains next to the door would always sway with the air movement we made, one night as I walked into room 7 and switched on the secondary light I watched in the mirror as the privacy curtain to the right of the door moved with my disturbance, rising maybe thirty (30) cm, this was usual, what wasn't usual was it stopping there for about three (3) to four (4) seconds and then rising to head height and staying there until I spoke saying that I was NOT turning around until the curtain was let go, at which point it dropped and settled.

On occasion we would have what is known as an agency nurse come in to cover the shift of one of the nurses when they were sick or the like. At about 5am one morning whilst on shift with one of these agency nurses, he looked at the monitor displaying the exterior cameras and said "who the heck is that"? I looked at the monitor and the aforementioned lady in the blue gown was standing in the garden looking around. Strangely, she should have been visible on three (3) camera feeds, but was only showing up in one (1), I personally went down to the garden where we had seen her and no-one was there, and I had had to turn off the alarm on the back door and unlock it to get outside.

In a few of the rooms one (1) night I witnessed beings of pure white and pure black, always in groups of three (3) and always standing perfectly still watching me, the pure black beings stood out even though they were in dark rooms. I have never before or since experienced anything like these beings, I felt no fear of them, or any emotion from them, I only knew they were scrutinising me.

We had a resident pass after a long struggle with his disease, his wife remained with us for around 4 months before passing herself, and until she did I would see him almost every night in different locations within the facility just standing around watching everything that was occurring. After she passed I never saw him again.

On the nights when I saw him in her room all the electronics in that room would play up, going off at random times, raising or lowering the volume of devices seeming at random, it wasn't until I said "[person] you leave her be, she will go when it is her time, no sooner because you are acting impatiently" that he left her alone while in the room.

Not long after I started working for that company in a short space of time (maybe one (1) week), I had conversations with three (3) different residents who had seen a small blonde haired girl in a red dress, over the years I had maybe another 8-10 residents discuss this same small girl with me, they all described the same girl, from the dimples to the plaited hairstyle, to the blue eyes, I never saw her myself.

2 am one night and the carer that I was working with had to go home sick, and there was a lady who was very ill, whom we knew didn't have very long left, so we checked on her before the other carer left and I returned to my long, tedious paperwork. After I finished this I had about ten (10) minutes before I had to meet up with the registered nurse on duty and she would assist me in completing my round, so I stood up to stretch my legs and stood in the lounge area of B wing, as it turned out I could see both the front and back doors. Within seconds I became aware of a "figure" moving back and forth from the front door to the back, and back again at incredible speed, when I went to check on the ill lady again one (1) minute later she had passed.

Another resident of this facility was close to passing and this persons passing seemed to attract spirits five (5) or six (6) that I was aware of, two (2) of them quite nasty in nature, scaring a few of the female residents, and appearing to me as dark figures and saying rather nasty things about my friends and family (I knew none of it to be true so just smiled at them and kept at whatever it was that I was doing), thankfully after this person passed these spirits left.

At different times during the year I experienced what I could only describe as immense pressure either on my lower back or shoulders, this I attributed to what I could feel as around two (2) dozen or more spirits all piling their energy onto me. One (1) of the other ladies that I worked with is more sensitive to these matters than I am, and on those nights she would feel almost identical pressure in the same places. This pressure would vanish about 500 m from the front door as I drove away.

One night as I was doing my paperwork sitting at the desk in B wing, I felt as though someone was watching me. Using my peripheral vision I saw a man watching me from the fire door, he was leaning against it, he was a little taller than me, dark hair, and of medium build. When I looked up to see if I knew him, he moved faster than I could have believed backing away, and when I went looking for him in case it was one of the residents, I could find no-one.

Other hauntings by Tbeartuff

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tbeartuff, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
AugustaM, with some of the residents I believe that is likely the case, with those in advanced states of dementia they may believe they are hallucinating or may not even be able to perceive what was happening, this to me, is a lot of why management disbelief in anything happening exists
Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
Junglecat, to my knowledge no one ever tried anything but it may have occurred when I was not on shift, though as far as I am aware management always scoffed at the idea that anything was occurring
Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
Oraclemache, the lady who appeared 10 cm from my face was certainly confronting but I never really let the situations get to me, though the last one with the figure that disappeared after watching me from the fire door, that made me finish my paperwork extra quick and go around to the A wing nurses station and stay with the staff there for about 10 minutes
Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
Jelly91, it was almost a change of underwear I'll freely admit that
Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
Haven, yes my previous place of employment was an aged care facility where I encountered many people passing. There was also a cemetery directly across the street, so that may explain some of the spirits, and I am unsure what was at the site previously as I cannot find anything online but may be looking in the wrong places, it was only the fact that 3 different people described her so similarly that sparked anything off for me
Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
LuciaJacinta, I was more upset by the being that was at my house in my other posting, he scared me
Tbeartuff (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-16)
RSAChick, room 7 was always fun, never knew what or who to expect
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-20)
Maybe the entities don't bother the residents - if they are the spirits of former residents themselves I can't imagine that they would want to. I have also found that the elderly often display a far more nonchalant attitude towards the paranormal (there are always exceptions). So it could be a case of banal acceptance on both sides. Perhaps, the only ones bothered by them are those young enough to have not yet come to grips with their own mortality. For some residents, the presence of certain spirits may provide a degree of comfort both as companionship and very clear indications that death is only another beginning.
oraclemache (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
My family had personal care homes. So I can relate to all you saw. Although I am not as brave as you. The nasty ones and dark figures would have frightened me. Have these experiences not ever frightened you?
Junglecat (2 stories) (56 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-14)
Tbeartuff,
Thank you for sharing your story. It's pretty scary.

It sounds like you witnessed far more than ghosts or benign entities. With all of the activity you describe, were there any regular personnel at this facility that *did not* have a paranormal experience? Did anyone with the required stripes (this may not have been you) seek to address the haunting while you were there, perhaps with the clergy that invariably come through?

My question stems from the premise that a retirement home's first mandate is to protect the health, safety and welfare of it's clients. It would be challenged to do that while the residents were being psychologically terrorized by paranormal entities. You are very strong. Just imagine how frightening such an experience must be for someone who can't speak and who may have limited mobility.
Jelly91 (4 stories) (7 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-10)
10cm away from my face? I would have fainted right there. Thats too much to handle.
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
Hi, Tbeartuff -

Wow, seems like this place was/is full of energy. From your previous posts, I understood your place of work to be a care facility for older people. Is that correct? If so, I pretty much understand all the activity that goes on, you probably see a lot of residents pass. But, I wonder about the little girl that is often seen, what is her story...?
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-09)
I really enjoyed this series of stories. You must be really brave to keep going into room 7. I'd try to bless myself before I entered that room. I was most creeped out by the spirit behind the curtain. Sometimes it is what you can't see that is scarier than the figures you can. Something about what's hiding behind the curtain is just unnerving to me. Kudos to you brave soul 😘
RSAChick (115 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-08)
Wow, Tbeartuff, this collection of stories is scary!😨

Especially the story about the person close to passing attracting a number of spirits, 2 of them nasty/evil.
Why would a person attract evil spirits around time of death?
Anyone have opinions about this?

Oooh, I would not be able to convince myself to go back into room 7 if I had survived seeing the lady in white 10cm from my face!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: