You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Workplace

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Workplace

 

This story is perhaps not the most exciting but still puzzles me to this day. It happened around 14 years ago. I used to work for a very well known shop in the UK - which sells stationary, books, newspapers and magazines, etc.

My job (basically) was to take all the newspapers and magazines that had been delivered and put them on the shelves ready to be sold.

The shop was in an old four storey building. What I assume was the cellar is where the stock room was. This is where all the deliveries were dropped off as well. The ground floor was the shop itself and the 1st and 2nd floors where the offices. To get to the 1st and 2nd floors you had to use the stairs - each floor had fire doors at the entrance to them.

I had a key to let myself in, and I would immediately lock the door behind me. I started work two hours before anyone else, because all the newspapers and magazines had to be on the shelves before the shop opened. So for two hours I was completely on my own in the building.

The deliveries were in the stock room so that's were I was this particular morning, lifting bundles and bundles of newspapers and boxes upon boxes of magazines onto cages to take up to the shop floor (via the lift which only went between the stock room and the shop floor). Anyway, as I'm in the stock room and, knowing I'm the only person in the building, I hear the fire doors upstairs banging! I still to this day have no explanation as to how fire doors can open and close on their own, or how I managed to put my fear to one side and get on with my job, instead of just legging it out the door.

Afterwards, some of my colleagues told me that an old lady had died in a fire there a good few years before it became the shop we worked in.

Other hauntings by BlessedWildAppleGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BlessedWildAppleGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-06)
Oh does not sound scary at all, coz u kind of summarized it in the end
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
ahhh lady-glow thank you for clearing that up I now feel a little better knowing that when I'm forty ill still be classed as a young adult lol ❤

And to the OP I apoligise for my misunderstanding but I would still like to know where it was you worked just so we could form abit of a background 😉
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
lexi-loo: some time ago I asked the same question about the "young adult" thing, and I got the following answer:

Miracles51031 (27 stories) (3987 posts) mod 2 years ago (2013-12-23)
Lady-glow - actually, for whatever reason, the way the guidelines are set up someone who is under 40 (don't know between what and 40, though) is considered a "young adult". Some of us **cough cough** have had this conversation before when it was first initiated and I found myself in the middle-aged category Laugh.

I think it was once explained in detail, but I couldn't find it. So it was neither lying nor a typing error on the part of the o/p. Just the age guidelines the administration has set.

Hope it helps! 😉
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
oh yes and if you are younger than 16 then you don't have a (UK national insurance) number (USA) social security number) and cannot work legally through the books without one
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
what shop was it I think people are asking

And if you don't mind me asking what age where you when you worked here as your profile says your a young adult which I assume is 30 or younger and that would make you 16 or younger as you said it happened 14 years ago, which I think your employer was very unprofessional to let you work in the buliding on your own, to my knowledge in the uk if there is not a manager around then there is always a supervisor because technically if you had an accident then your manager would be liable... This is how it is in the UK anyway.
BlessedWildAppleGirl (4 stories) (11 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-14)
Hi Tweed,

Thanks for your comment. I suppose if in life the person was a jerk then death wouldn't change that. Or is it being trapped in a building for years that makes them that way?
Mimi81:
You could be right, but no one else started work as early as me and 99% of their working day was spent on the shop floor which was obviously very busy, so banging noises wouldn't have necessarily been heard from there.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-13)
Hi Blessed,

Like others I was going to ask about an anniversary of a horrible event. But after reading the comments I'm now open to it being a ghost who perhaps wanted to give you a scare.😕 Not a very nice thing to do. But I've said it before, some ghosts are just jerks.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-13)
AppleGirl, thank you for answering my question. I do wonder if others had experiences and just didn't tell.
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
-4
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
lady-glow:
Some people always understand but some just won't understand that each and every new member is not same

Apple: Ok
BlessedWildAppleGirl (4 stories) (11 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
Hi Mimi81, as far as I am aware no one else I worked with experienced anything at all.

Johnny: I think we might have our wires crossed - my experience took place in a shop not an apartment. I have looked as best I can on the net and nothing is coming up for a lady who died there. It's not possible for me to do an investigation as I don't live anywhere near the place anymore. Sorry if it's frustrating for you.

Lady-Glow: this was an isolated experience. I can't confirm if a lady died there. Although, if it was true the anniversary would be an interesting theory.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
Johnny_blart: some people never understand, do they? 😉

*sigh*
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
AppleGirl: that's puzzling and interesting.
Was that the only time you heard the fire door banging?
If you ever have a chance to confirm the story of the lady dieing during the fire it would be interesting to know if the day in which you had this experience was the anniversary of the fire.

Thanks for sharing.
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
BlessedWildAppleGirl:
I would love to read more information (If you have it or can find it) about the apartment, its history and the history of the incident in which the women died due to fire. If possible, try to investigate and find new information about that place

Hope you understood
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
sorry wild Apple, wrong story. That is supposed to be for Shadows in my room.
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Carment,
I think everybody doesn't like the dark, I think bad stuff happens in the dark. I usually sleep with the T.V on, and once the timer on the T.v turns off, the light on the Fetch T.V would cast the room in a blue hue. I do this because I have low eye vision, and I don't like the dark.

The age thing is not a big matter, it is just not helping the legitimacy of your story. People usually think I am middle aged due to my thought process, even though I am a lot younger than that. (They think i'm going to be the next Einstein 😐)
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
It sounds like something wanted you to know it was there. Do you know if anyone else had a similar experience?
BlessedWildAppleGirl (4 stories) (11 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Hi Johnny,

I wasn't courageous at all - believe me! It was more the fact I was overwhelmed with all the work I had to get done in the two hours before the shop opened. I didn't have 10 minutes to spare to check it out otherwise I would have been 10 minutes behind and had my boss giving me grief. I don't work there any more - in fact I don't even live in that county. I'm not sure what details you'd like, can you elaborate please?
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
BlessedWildAppleGirl:
Thats a very interesting story. Fire doors banging on their own. You are quite courageous as you werent even bothered to look what was causing the banging. I appreciate your boldness.

If you still work there, why don't you carry out some investigation. I would like to read detailed story of that apartment if you can provide

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: