You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Butterflies And Flowers

Real Ghost Stories

Butterflies And Flowers

 

I haven't posted here in a few years. Didn't need to, I didn't have any spooks, and life was pretty calm in regards to anything spiritual.

A shame it didn't stay that way.

Recently I moved and for the record moving is one of the most stressful things ever. In the middle of all that moving and trying to prepare for my first year at college one of my aunt's passed away. Cancer got her, she fought a tough battle but eventually she gave out. Personally, I didn't know her too well. She was my grandma's sister, I really only saw her once or twice every few years. I did go to her funeral and aside from the usual emotions and tears, there were a few things that stood out.

The first being the surprising amount of butterflies. Both living butterflies and the emotional butterflies. In terms of living, I actually hadn't seen a lot of butterflies this year and I really don't see any in the fall so it was weird to see handfuls scattered around the funeral grounds. The emotional butterflies, I don't know what else to call it. To put it simply, imagine standing and feeling relatively normal when you all of a sudden get hit by this wave of warmth and your stomach drops. It doesn't feel bad necessarily, but it is weird. Give it a few seconds and it passes through you. I don't really know how to explain it better than this. It was like a hug, but from something you can't see?

Another little note about butterflies, the only other time I've seen this many butterflies at a funeral was at my great grannie's who I was quite close with. Even when the anniversary of her death rolls around all of a sudden there will be a bunch of butterflies. It's nice to see, honestly. A reminder she's still here, even if it's as small as a few butterflies and a whiff of roses.

The smell. I'm actually pretty sensitive to smells, and throughout the entire funeral I kept catching whiffs of floral perfume, fresh made bread, and a general garden dirt scent. That's always what her house smelled like. It was a nice smell. Those little whiffs made it seem like she would be walking past me on her way to go say goodbye to someone.

I didn't know her well, but it was nice to feel that maybe she stuck around to bid her family goodbye before departing to whatever comes after death.

Other hauntings by NightlyEclipse

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NightlyEclipse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-13)
[at] lady-glow
Thank you so much for this great information! Great gran passed away in March, which doesn't really line up for monarchs. Sometimes I see loads of white butterflies and I'm not sure what kind they are.
It'd be really cool if there was some sort of scientific explanation for this!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-08)
I'm sorry for your loss.

Not meaning to question your experience but, - do you know the kind and life cycle of the butterflies you saw? If they were monarch butterflies it is possible that they were starting their migration and that would explain their presence and number at that moment.

Http://cwf-fcf.org/en/resources/encyclopedias/fauna/insects/monarch-butterfly-sp.html? Gclid=CjwKCAjw5_DsBRBPEiwAIEDRW7btlh_zbpi08iUnE39nMIHl479il5orgBAt3e6CvZSW-i6ZOsdzzRoCO0cQAvD_BwE
Sorry, I had to brake the link for the site to read it.

Do you know if butterflies were of a high significance for both your aunt and great-grandma?

"when the anniversary of her death rolls around all of a sudden there will be a bunch of butterflies."

Please let me make clear that I'm not denying your experience but, in my opinion, it would be important to consider the possibility that the presence of the butterflies was just a common happening of the area and the season when you saw them. Now, if this event occurs during the winter months...then...I really would have to agree it is something paranormal.

Nevertheless, I really believe that your relatives were hanging around during their funeral, possibly saying goodbye to their loved ones.

Thanks for sharing.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-05)
Hello NightlyEclipse,
I've always thought there was something beautiful and spiritual about butterflies.
Sometimes, I have dreams about them.
I'm sorry for your loss. Thank You for sharing.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: