You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Childhood Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Childhood Ghosts

 

When I was little, about two or three, and we moved out of the city, my parents and I moved to a plot of land that my grandparents (farmers) owned.

The only way this will make sense is if I describe what the place looked like. We were right beside the main highway. Our backyard was huge. Surrounded by trees, so to a small child, it was like an entire kingdom. When you drive in down the road to our house, there are two paths. One splits off to a shop that my grandpa kept his tractors in. The shop also had a little office in it. During the winter we kept my dog and our two cats in the shop and office. To the left of the shop was a large empty field. Sometimes it had grain growing from it. The other path went up a small hill and that led to my house. On both sides of the house, there were trees. One side had an old truck that hadn't started in years. Remember that truck. Behind the house was just an empty area of grass, a few old and falling down buildings, and some more patches of trees. There are more details, but for now, that's really all you need to know.

During the first year, I kept finding little arrowheads. A few times I found grinding stones. I'm pretty confident that our house was built on top a First Nations village, or something related to that. I never really looked into it. Around that time I started having dreams. Those dreams lasted for a few years. They weren't every night, but they were the exact same every time.

I always dreamed of a small village with first nations all over. At first, it was fine. Everybody was happy. Then, I blinked and everything was on fire. People were screaming, children were crying, and one man in what looked like a western outfit was walking straight through the middle. I couldn't make out a face, it seemed like he was a living shadow. He'd walk up to me, and right when he was about to say something I'd wake up. Keep in mind I was pretty little when this was happening, so I didn't understand what was going on. Mom didn't know either when I told her about it. She saged the place and moved on. It didn't affect anything.

Once, I was playing outside with my dog when I saw a man standing in the field by the shop. The same man from my dreams. I've never gone into the fields since I saw him. He just seemed to radiate pure evil. I've seen small children walk through the trees, the old truck that hasn't started in years turned on when I walked by it once. I had an imaginary friend once who resembled a middle aged woman in a light yellow dress. I found out years later that my imaginary friend looked exactly like my dad's mum.

Those were pretty small compared to one night. I was about 7, maybe 8. It was around 10 and I was just falling asleep. Then, it almost seemed like a heavy weight was set on my body. Breathing was difficult, I couldn't move, and my room seemed incredibly dark, even though the hallway lights were on. One corner was pitch black. The hallway lights should have illuminated it, but it didn't. Then I heard a voice. Dark, menacing, and kept repeating get out. I was crying, kept trying to say "but I live here, this is my room" but I couldn't. I don't remember how it ended. I probably fell asleep. I told mom, and she didn't say much. I found out years after she had the place blessed. I haven't heard the voice since. Please note I don't have any sleeping problems. I did have an active imagination, but I don't think even my small mind would imagine that.

There are tons more experiences, and I'll publish those at a later date. Some I don't know if are true. I really don't know what to make of a lot of this. Any ideas would be incredibly appreciated.

Other hauntings by NightlyEclipse

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NightlyEclipse, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-24)
[at] Jubeele I did do well on my finals, thank you for asking!

I did ask my mom if I had any forms of sleep paralysis as a child and she said she didn't think so. According to her, I was a ridiculously heavy sleeper. She did mention about some weird things happening, and that she hung up a few crosses and blessed the place just to be safe. She didn't clarify on what those weird things were, unfortunately.

Yes, this is actually incredibly fascinating! I feel like I'm in someone else's shoes and it's really cool! I do think I've hit the end, and I doubt I could find out anything else, but I'm really pleased with what I've found so far.
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-22)
Hey Nightly, I hope you did ok in your finals. It's good to see that researching your heritage is proving fascinating for you. You can also share this project with a member of your family (or a family friend) who can be a second pair of eyes for you. 👀

Going back to your childhood when you may have suffered some form of sleep paralysis and heard that menacing voice, have you tried asking your mother further about that recently? She obviously believed you at the time because she had the place blessed. Did she have any experiences herself? 🤔
NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-22)
[at] Jubeele Been a while since I commented on this thread, I did find out some more information! I've been pretty busy with finals, so I didn't have a lot of time, unfortunately, but here's what I got.

There were some hospital records in the library, and while I couldn't find his name in the newborn section (my best guess is that he came over from a different country or different province in Canada) but I did find a child whose last name was White, a Mabel White. Now white is a pretty common last name, and there were some more babies with the last name of White, but sometimes back then they did put in people who had just had a baby in the paper. Did some more looking, and while I'm not super certain as it was a bit water damaged, it looks like Walter White had married and had a child with Susan Ferance. Unfortunately, it seems like the child died from an illness. Probably smallpox.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this anymore, but this is actually really fascinating.
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-08)
Goodness, Nightly, you've certainly been busy. When I did a look-around, most of the references I could find on Walter White were from "Breaking Bad"! 😜

However, there is a Walter White who had the town of Whitecourt named after him:
Http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/whitecourt/

Not sure it there's anything to this, but you may wish to have a look into the period 1885-1896. Was there any reason why the settlement growth was slow? Note that the area in Alberta at the time was predominantly "native" settlers (First Nation?). What is NOT being said here? See excerpt below:

"By 1883, the Canadian Pacific Railway had reached Calgary and was completed in 1885. Settlement was expected to begin in earnest, but from 1885 to 1896 remained slow. In 1881, just before the arrival of the railway, only about 1,000 non-native settlers resided within the boundaries of the present province of Alberta; a decade later, in 1891, that number had grown, but only to 17,500."
Http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/alberta/

Maybe you can check with the historians at your local museum? They probably have more archival information not accessible to the general public. Also the Births, Deaths and Marriages bureau to trace your genealogy with regards to First Nation. This may be an undertaking that will last for years, depending how complete the records are and how far you wish to proceed with it. But it should prove very rewarding to learn more about your heritage.

Here's a few more links to Alberta's railway history:
Http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/a-brief-history-of-albertas-railways.html
Http://www.paulpettypiece.com/rail_history_central_alberta.htm
Https://www.britannica.com/place/Alberta-province/History

Happy hunting. Be well. 😊
NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-07)
[at] Jubeele

A lot of those links are based in BC, and my family is in Alberta. I did find some interesting things in there though, I'll do a bit of research later tonight.

I did find out some interesting family history. While my grandparents have no recollection of any FN villages in their lifetime, they never mentioned their parents. So, I did some digging in our records and found a few diaries. Some of the diaries were unreadable, some of them made no sense. But, there was one that belonged to one of my great aunts (I think. There was some water damage.). There was one paragraph vaguely mentioning a group of FN's built a blockade of villages in front of a train line that was being repaired at the time. I'm going to assume the train line was being built on some sacred ground of theirs, and they wanted it gone. Which makes a lot of sense because I have found a lot of rock piles that haven't been moved in many years. Most were on Coyote Hill, one of the biggest hills in our area. After that, it didn't say a lot and the entries stopped for a few weeks. When they picked up all she talked about was some family drama going on at the time.

I went back to the library and kept looking and this time I actually found something. A newspaper clipping with a picture of a group of men in front of a train line. Freaky part? One man in there had a black cowboy hat, vest, and boots from my dreams. Walter White was his name.

I definitely feel like I'm making some headway here, and it's really cool to figure this stuff out.
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-22)
Well Nightly, you certainly have added some "meat" to your narrative. The Westerner man in black could be a railway man who set all the events in motion. Your possible FN connection is an interesting point. Maybe your parents, an aunt or uncle may also be able to shed some light on your family heritage.

I've found some interesting history concerning the Canadian railway and the 'robber barons' at the time. See if anything fits with the location of your grandparents' place. You've got a fascinating project going here. Enjoy!

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_Railway_in_British_Columbia
Http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/railroad-building-in-the-19th-century-was-an-orgy-of-corruption-but-hey-it-built-a-country
Https://prezi.com/dpwhpjyxg_3i/building-the-railroad-of-canada/
NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-22)
[at] Jubeele I did do a lot more research, I checked out the local library and went back as far as I could with newspapers. They didn't have a lot there, but there was an article that mentioned a revolt by the train line. The old train line was taken out years ago, but it ran right behind my old house. There was only one mention of it, but I'll keep looking.

My grandpa doesn't like to bring it up, but when he does he never mentioned First Nations. My grandpa also doesn't remember a lot of things anymore. His mind is slowly going, unfortunately. I'll mention it next time I see him and see what he says. The dreams happen spontaneously. Sometimes they'll have it 2-3 times per year, sometimes 1-none.

I can't believe I didn't type this. I thought I did but I didn't. He looked like the man in black. Western-style clothing. As for the voice thing, I do have a small theory. My dad never knew his dad, but there's a good chance he was First Nation. If there was a revolt, and people were killing FN's, maybe they were telling me to get out because I had some FN in me? Who knows. Or they're just mad because they didn't want me there.
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-20)
Hi NightlyEclispse, I've read your account again and a few more things have occurred to me.

The man in the western outfit makes me wonder if there could have been a clash between some new settlers and a First Nation village. If there was an "unfortunate" incident, the whole thing could have been quietly swept under the carpet after the land was redeveloped for farms and new homes. Chances are there may be not much direct reference to a burning village. So you may have to look for oblique references, such as what is NOT being said. There could be a vague mention of "resettling" of the locals, an initial resistance to redevelopment, or something like that...

Does your grandfather remember the attire worn by the two armies? Were they warring tribes competing against each other? Or was it between western and First Nation? If there were few survivors among the villagers to remember the event, or they were all later scattered, that could be why there is no mention of it. It would be interesting to record the dates when your grandparents have their "linked" dreams. Do they tend to experience them at particular times of the year? It may provide a lead to some anniversary date of the event.

I also keep thinking about nature spirits or land guardians. The man in the field who frightened you - what did he look like? Could he be a spirit who resented invaders on his land because of what happened in the past? That may also be the reason for the voice in your room telling you to "get out".

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Look forward to hearing more from you. 😊
NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-17)
[at] Jubeele Unfortunately I donated the few remaining arrowheads I hadn't lost during the move to the local museum. I do work there during the summer, and I occasionally pop by. I'll snap a picture next time I'm there. As for family history, I asked around and while I didn't find anything about a burning village, I did find out some more interesting news.

My grandparents sometimes have conjoining dreams but at different times. If that makes sense. My grandpa will dream that he's standing on top of a hill, part of a chunk of land that they own, and he's watching two armies charging at each other and fighting. My grandma dreams the same thing, except she sees the aftermath of the battle. Bodies, smoke, whatever happens after a battle. They always have them on the same night as well. I found this quite interesting.

The records I could find in our ungodly amount of family history (I spent a solid two days going through all the albums, books, and news clippings. That's a lot of coffee and reading) didn't list a lot of information about First Nations. I did find a few tidbits about how there was a group of First Nations in our general area, and there was also a meeting area where everybody could hunt peacefully a few hours from my old house. Most of the information of First Nations was lost after a lot of local families came from overseas. My best guess is that you're right. I was seeing the past, and there was a mass murder. It's interesting to think about, but pretty scary when the past comes to you.
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-16)
NightlyEclipse, when I read your account, I got the impression that you could be "seeing" the past. It may be that the arrowheads and grinding stones carried residual memories of what happened long ago. Do you still have them and can you send a photo? I'm curious to see what they look like.

Have you also looked into the history of your grandparents' property? See if there was any event that happened in the area. It would be interesting to find out.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
NightlyEclipse (8 stories) (24 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-15)
[at] Aisyah1987 The house was blessed, and I've never messed with anything supernatural like Ouija boards (although I now have one sitting in my closet as my friend freaked when it appeared on her doorstep again and refused to take it. I relieved her of that problem and will have to find a safe way to get rid of it.)

[at] Aaru275 I haven't had that exact same nightmare, but for the past two or three years since we've moved I'll occasionally dream of the burning village, but it isn't on fire anymore. It's the aftermath. No dead bodies, no people in general. Just everything burnt and ash flying like snow. Haven't had it for a few months, so I'm probably due for another one sooner or later. As for the man, ever since I moved I haven't seen him but I have seen shadows walking down the street in midday, and that general dark feeling occasionally. Don't know if it's the same man, most likely something else but it wouldn't really surprise me.
Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-14)
I am glad you and your family are okay. I want to know two things: Do you still have those nightmares and have you ever seen that man again?
aisyah1987 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-12)
It's important to get yourself blessed, say some important protection prayers, mentally visualize yourself being in your own shield of protection and may God heal you and protect you always, dear... ❤
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-10-05)
NightlyEclipse,

Sounds like a very frighten experience. It would be enough to scar a child for life.

If I heard something telling me to get out over and over again, I would have been walking on air to get to my mom.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: