You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Table Tapping In Gifted Science Class After School

Real Ghost Stories

Table Tapping In Gifted Science Class After School

 

In 1976, I had been placed in a science class in middle school for gifted students. Our teacher presented a unit about the psychic sciences! As it turned out, he was a gifted automatic writer. I remember that various students in the class who studied foreign languages tested his automatic writing abilities and he got the short answers right in German and Spanish - languages he had never studied.

One day after school, the teacher offered a sort of extra-credit activity where we could try table tapping. He placed a card table in the room, the desks had been put back along the walls to provide for some space. He began with three of us. There was a girl named M, and another girl named C, who happened to be the niece of a very famous French-Canadian actress, the teacher and I. Sure enough, one edge of the table would rise and fall gently in answer to questions! I do not recall what we asked but it always seems that when presented with such remarkable opportunities to "ask anything" no one can remember anything important to ask! So perhaps have such questions in your mind, beforehand.

Our teacher left the table, as we really were incredulous about this phenomena, even though it was happening to us, and before our eyes! I think he wanted to show us it was not he, playing some sort of trick. His absence did not diminish the phenomena in the slightest, in fact, it seemed to intensify! At one point, the table began to move toward me, which caused me to back up, slightly. Then the table continued to move toward me and I found myself walking ever more quickly backward as it pursued me! The teacher then decided I might be doing this, intentionally, somehow! I wasn't, and I remember saying in response to his accusation, "It's not me!"

Whatever had the table seemed more interested in chasing me than answering any questions we couldn't remember or were too embarrassed to ask in front of our classmates. Soon the experiment was over. I do think the teacher thought I had done something, but I truly had not! I never tried table tapping again and I really don't think I ever will!

Other hauntings by Zander

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Zander, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rose_darkgate (1 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-02-11)
um zander can I talk to you because I need to discus something or send me a e mail ❤
Zander (7 stories) (139 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-04-25)
Lady Glow ~ thank you for your comment and question! Sorry for the delay. We were considered gifted students in terms of overall academic performance and IQ in that science class.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-15)
Hi Zander.

I really would like to know if we are in the same page regarding the meaning of "gifted students".

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, to my knowledge, a gifted student is a kid with an above average IQ. Nevertheless, your narrative seems to suggest that the students, and the teacher, within this group were gifted because they had some psychic abilities.

May I ask what criterion was used to determine you're a GS?

Not being skeptic, just curious.
Zander (7 stories) (139 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-03-14)
Kindly_refrain ~ thank you for your nice comment. I'm going to read your story at once! Cheers
Zander (7 stories) (139 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-03-14)
To the skeptics with inquiries, imagine if you would, Alexander Graham Bell, describing how his invention would make communication across vast distances between people who could not see one another, possible... Surely many "sensible" people laughed at this invention... The telephone.

Inventors are indeed gifted and have the capacity to imagine beyond the ordinary. "Imagination is more important than knowledge" is has even been suggested.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (193 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-28)
Hi Zander, that certainly was an odd credit course, as others have mentioned, but interesting nonetheless.

I was witness to and somewhat of a participant in a table tipping session a few years ago. If you are interested you can read my story on this site at the link below. There are also two follow up stories if you go to my stories.

https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=24149
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-28)
I'd rather be in that class than trying to understand calculus. Seriously dude, were you attending Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry? 😜 😁 😢
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-02-27)
Uh...really?

Are you talking about the same "gifted students" like in the following article?:

Https://gifted.msu.edu/about/226/what-does-being-gifted-really-mean

Which defines gifted students like "children or youth, means students, children or youth who give evidence of high achievement capability in areas such as intellectual, creative, artistic, or leadership capacity, or in specific academic fields, and who need services or activities not ordinarily provided by the school in order to fully develop those capabilities." (Marland, 1971)

There's no mention of any kind of sensitivity or paranormal abilities (gifts?)

No offense intended but, I find it odd that any school would include "the psychic sciences!" within their program... Lucky you for attending a school that would teach something that usually would be considered as charlatanerie.

Thanks for sharing.
InTheNight (2 stories) (34 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-26)
I'm more curious about how and why was this in middle school curriculum, especially in seventies america.
Zander (7 stories) (139 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-23)
Hi, Rajine! It's so nice to hear from you again! I hope you have been well. So, table tapping has been around for a very long time - since antiquity, really. In the 19th century it enjoyed renewed popularity. Basically, one is using a table, almost like a Ouija board but with only the ability to tap, rather than indicate letters and spell out long messages - although I suppose one could get lucky and happen on a spirit that knew Morse code! Generally it's two taps for yes, one for no, but one could establish that at the outset of a session. A leg or entire side of a table will lift, I kid you not, and then come down to tap, once or twice, in response to questions. It does not seem to matter how heavy the table is, either.

As to why whatever had hold of the table had a particular interest in me, I cannot say. All I can say is "I do believe in spooks, I do, I do" and there is no need for them to prove their presence to me. Generally, I'm very happy and grateful that they almost never do!
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-23)
Hi Zander

Could you explain further about table tapping? It's the first time I've read about it and it sounds interesting.

I wonder why that table was particularly interested in you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: