You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Witches Cackle

Real Ghost Stories

The Witches Cackle

 

Growing up in a small town with a haunted history, you are bound to hear a story or two. One of the most popular stories in the small town that I grew up in was about a Witch that the founder of the town, Jonathan Buck had burnt at the stake many moons ago. She told him that she would dance on his grave and now every time it rains there is an imprint of her leg and foot that appear on his gravestone. The stone has been moved and replaced many times, but yet she still finds him every time. Everybody loves the thrill of a good ghost story, but what happens when a story turns into a reality? What happens if instead of hearing the story, you are living it?

I have had many experiences with Paranormal Activity in my life, some pleasant, and some not, but this story STILL sends chills up my spine every time that I talk about it. I would like to start by saying that because of the fact that I did not own the house that this incident occurred in, I will not be including the exact address, however I will include the Street name and the town. I do not know if I will be able to make you feel the bone chilling terror that I felt during the experience, but I will do my best.

In the spring and summer of 2019, my Fiancé and I were renting a house on Nicholson Ave in Bucksport Maine, right up the road from Jonathan Bucks gravestone. For those of you that don't know, Bucksport is very well known for it's Haunted history, so as two young adults that were raised in this town, and very connected to the Paranormal, it wasn't unheard of for us to experience Paranormal Activity in some form or another once in a while.

At first, it just started out very minor. Little noises, things moving by themselves, that sort of thing. One night we even came downstairs from our bedroom to find three bowls perfectly lined up on our living room floor. Little things like that were nothing that my Fiancé and I were not used to, so they did not really bother us, but then came the night that changed the entire feel of the house.

On this night, we had stayed up extremely late. I remember dozing off around 1am. I had this nightmare that we were sitting in bed and we heard this gut-wrenching woman's laugh. It sounded like a Witches Cackle. In the dream, it was as though I was hovering above the bed watching the scene unfold. I could see us sitting up in bed, and I could hear myself say "What is that?" as my Fiancé got out of the bed and exited the room to go check it out, and then the dream stopped.

The next morning, I did not say anything about the "dream" because I have had many nightmares and night terrors over the years, so I didn't really think anything of it, until later that afternoon when we had some friends over. We were all just hanging out and having a good time, when my Fiancé started telling our friends the events of the night before. He started telling them about the "Witches Cackle". I instantly felt the color leave my face. I felt cold. I slowly looked up at him. "Wait a minute. That actually happened?" I asked, feeling myself start to shake.

"What do you mean? Of course, it did." He responded.

I stared into space for what seemed like an eternity. "I...I thought that I dreamt it. I remember being asleep. I remember watching the whole thing happen like it was a movie." IT WAS NOT A NIGHTMARE. It happened.

He then proceeded to repeat everything that had happened, down to every detail. Us sitting in bed, us hearing the Cackling, me telling him to go check it out. EVERYTHING. He told me that when he went to see where the laughing was coming from, he got out into the hallway where the lights were on, and that it sounded like it was right in front of him, almost in his face. He then followed it downstairs into the kitchen, and then it stopped.

I felt the chills running up and down my back. After that, there was a constant feeling of dread in the house. It always felt like we were being watched, like we are strangers in our own home. It seemed like every time I laid down to go to sleep at night, I could still hear that awful laughing, like I was being taunted by something that I could not see. We never found out what it was, but what I can tell you is, it was truly Evil, and I don't believe that it wanted us or anyone else living in that house. Once that entity made itself known, you could truly feel the darkness of it, and there was no peace in that house for us after that.

We moved out a short time later, and we have not been back. Yes, I have had many Paranormal experiences in my life, but this one was different. This was an Evil that I had never experienced before. This was Demonic. You could feel the Evil like it was a sickness. I do not know who lives there now, but I hope for their sake, they have better luck in that house than we did, because I have chills right now even writing about it, and to this day, every time I tell this story, I can still hear "The Witches Cackle"

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AbbyMagee2019, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ScareTale (8 stories) (14 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-09)
Dang, I literally just submitted a story of something similar that happened to my mom and sister. This gave me chills because of the similarities.
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-05-12)
Hi Biblio [at] Bibliothecarius. The link you posted appears to be her page. On the top of the page it says "My name is Abby (: I enjoy writing articles on many different topics such as Addiction/Recovery, Domestic Violence, True Crime, True Paranormal, etc. I also enjoy writing stories in the Genres of Horror/Paranormal and Crime/Mystery."
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-05-11)
Greetings, Abby, and welcome to YGS.

Your description of this haunting sounds like you were having an out-of-body experience watching the events unfold. That makes this event even more interesting to my mind.

I do have a question about the narrative, though: did you also publish this experience last week under the name "Abrahdella" at https://vocal.media/authors/abrahdella? I ran into the earlier publishing of this event while looking at houses (#30, #37, and #26) on Nicholson Ave in Bucksport Maine. So long as the story is your experience, there's no problem with republishing it on YGS; it just seemed odd to me to run into the narrative twice.

Best,
Biblio.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-05-11)
Hi AbbyMagee2019

That definitely is a creepy experience, I believe that we all have a sixth sense and it always kicks in during times of danger, warning us whether something is bad or good.

Apart from this experience were there any other incidents that you and your fiancé experience, I'd definitely like to read about it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: