You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Witch's Cackle?

Real Ghost Stories

Witch's Cackle?

 

As I stated in my first story "Voice On Tape", I was going to ask my mom if I could share some of her stories. I asked and she agreed.

This happened to my mom and half sister before I was born. First off, in order to understand just how horrifying this was, I'll have to give a little detail of the land my family has. We live on 85 acres of land. That's just my side of the family. The whole tract of land is divided among other branches of family. In total, there's about 160 acres that we have access to.

My grandparents lived next door and had built a playhouse in their backyard for the grandkids.

It was one night my mom and sister were home by themselves. My sister had a friend over and they asked if they could go play in the playhouse. They were about 13 at the time so my mom said it was fine.

Some time later, my mom guesses around 8:30ish, she was sitting in the living room and out of no where there was this loud god awful laughing. The best way she can describe it is to imagine the most evil witch's cackle you can imagine and times that by three. She said it sounded like it was in the room with her.

The next thing she knew she hears my sister and her friend screaming at the top of their lungs and in they barged, faces pale and scared. Asking them what's wrong they proceed to tell her that they were in the playhouse and suddenly they heard this evil laughing inside with them.

This is where describing the land is important. The playhouse is about 50 yards from my parents house, so how could both my mom and my sister and friend have heard the laughter as if it were in the same rooms as them, when they were so far apart?

To this day mom doesn't like telling the story but she will. It's been 32 years and neither my mom or sister have changed the story in the slightest. The conviction when they tell is also still very strong.

I'd also like to point out that it's been confirmed that the Congaree Natives in fact lived on that land. We've found arrow heads and pottery shards in the woods as well. So it makes you wonder, is that the reason behind all the paranormal stuff that happens at my parents house?

Other hauntings by ScareTale

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ScareTale, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JoJorocks (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-07-07)
Konichiwa ScareTale

As stated by some commenters here, it could be some sort of a wild animal, since lots of animal species can mimic human sounds or have sounds that are mistaken for human.

Ok,for the arrowheads part, your place is probably a former battlefield, I concluded that the sound you heard, if it was truly paranormal, was that of a lost spirit who died a violent death.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-15)
Hello Scaretale,

Sounds like you live on an active piece of property; have you ever considered using any investigative camera gear that might help you better document and understand the activity in your family home? Not sure if you'd be willing to invest any sort of money into gear like that, but it might be interesting to see what you could ascertain from video with audio?
The difficult thing about trying to catch any type of disembodied voices and poltergeist activity on video is that you can't set your watch by it - in other words, it's usually random activity that happens unexpectedly.

I was wondering if you or anyone in your family has brought any of the native artifacts into your home?

Thanks for sharing with us!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-14)
"I've also asked how they know it was a witch. They just say that because it matched what you would hear in a horror movie."

How many actresses playing a witch roll in horror movies do you think are real, professional witches? (Kidding)

Hi ScareTale.

Please do not take my apparent skepticism like denying your mother and sister's experience. In my opinion, your story lacks enough detail as to confirm or debunk the nature and the source of the cackling sound.

Do you know if the window in the room where your mother was was open? 50 yards is not really a significant distance when it comes to the range sound waves can travel through still air.

I imagine how scary it must have been for all of them to hear this unexplained and creepy sound but, if this had happened to me, my first priority would have been to look for any, and all, possible mundane explanation/s before reaching the "it's a witch" conclusion... Even if it sounds like what they show on TV.

I'm not claiming to be on the right, this is only my humble and honest opinion.
ScareTale (8 stories) (14 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-14)
Lady-glow,
I agree that people mistake animals as something more. If you've ever heard a rabbit scream, it's a horrible sound. I brought up the fact that they could've heard a screech owl but they both say they know what screech owls sound like and that's not what they heard. On the flip side though, I don't know how they both could have heard an animal sound like it was in both the house and playhouse with them being so far apart.
I've also asked how they know it was a witch. They just say that because it matched what you would hear in a horror movie.

Rajine,
I'll definitely give your story a read. Sounds interesting.
I don't know which would be scarier, hearing a disembodied scream or disembodied laugh!
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-14)
Hi ScareTale

Anyone would be creeped out hearing a frightening laugh, my mother had also experienced something similar to this year's ago however it wasn't a laugh it was a creepy scream, I posted it here some time ago, she maintains that there's no way any type of animal would sound like that.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-06-13)
Have you considered the possibility of the cackle being nothing else than the call of a night bird like an owl or some other animal?

Night time, silence, echo... Too many factors to take into consideration, besides, who says that witches cannot have a pretty laugh?

Nice read, thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: