You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Michigan's Haunted Ice Cream Truck

Real Ghost Stories

Michigan's Haunted Ice Cream Truck

 

My grandma owns a cabin on a lake in Northern Michigan that I visit every year with all my cousins. There are eight other houses in our community and each one has been in that family for generations. Long story short, the other kids from the other eight hoses have been my best friends since I was born. During the summers, at night, we all meet at the crossroads to play flashlight games. The summer I was fourteen, the strangest thing happened.

I'm around the older side of the group. There's a girl who is a year older than me, but the majority of the kids are younger, the youngest that specific summer was eight. Sometimes the younger kids would get scared so pretty early on, we made an emergency code word in case one of them got too scared, they'd call it out and we'd stop the game no matter what and find them. It was 11:23pm (I vividly remember looking at my watch), nearly pitch black, and we were playing Sardines. We had just started a new game so there was only one person hiding and the rest of us were wandering around searching for them when we heard ice cream truck music.

It stands to say that our community is seven miles from the nearest town. We know all the other kids in about a two mile radius and all of them were definitely not out and about (they were all very young at the time, like, five and under) and we know that no one owns an ice cream truck anywhere near us. Why would they? Our community is private and it has a mile long driveway so there would be no point in selling to us and there are hardly any other families around for a few miles. There's no reason why a person would be driving an ice cream truck around in the middle of the day, let alone in the middle of the night.

Anyway, we heard the ice cream truck music floating over the trees and the oldest girl and I looked at each other and instantly used our emergency word, calling all the kids back to the crossroads. We did a head count and everyone was there. We listened to the music gradually get closer and louder and truth be told, we were all terrified. It went on for about a minute, but it seemed a lot longer. Suddenly, it stopped, and the woods around us were dead silent. Usually, you can hear animals or crickets in the trees but there was nothing.

We called it quits after that. The oldest girl and I walked all of our friends home, just to make sure because we were pretty freaked. The next night we heard it again at the exact same time: 11:23pm. We called everyone in again and it got louder and stopped about a minute after it started.

We haven't heard it since. It's been about six years since then, but it still freaks me out to this day and the kids who we were playing with still remember it. One of them (she's fifteen now) brought it up last summer and it still scares her too.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, carcinoKat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cag9890 (2 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-11-24)
This is very bizarre and believable. I am from MI and I am curious what the name of the town your grandma's cabin is up North? There is a tonnnn of history all over the place there so maybe it could shed some light as to what it was!
carcinoKat (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-11-04)
rajine,

I mentioned it to my mom the morning after, but all she said was "that's weird." to be fair, my mom is young for her generation so I'm not sure if she would have been out playing as much with the kids when she was young. I'll try to bring it up to some of the older people when I see them next! That's a really good idea!

Best,
CK
carcinoKat (1 stories) (3 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-11-04)
robmkivseries-

It was just regular ice cream music if that makes sense? I believe it was turkey in the straw (a pretty common truck music) but much slower than it should have been/would be regularly.

I'll try to dig a little more into the history of the area! Maybe there was a neighborhood there before my community's houses were built?

Thank you!
CarcinoKat:)
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-10-27)
Hi carcinoKat

That is so many levels of creepy, apart from the kids, have you ever brought it up with any of the adults? Maybe one of them also heard the ice-cream truck music, I wonder what that could have been though...
robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (35 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-10-26)
[at] carcinoKat,
Way interesting, was the tune a copy of anything recognizable? If it was 'other worldly' (It sure sounds like it was.) I wonder how or why it showed up in your neighborhood. It would seem like there had to have been an ice cream truck there in the past.
Best,
Rob
carcinoKat (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-10-26)
No vehicles at all, it was just the music! And if it was playing on a boat or something on the lake, we would have still heard a boat motor.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-10-26)
It would also scare me, even at the ripe old age I am now.

So a minute after the music stopped playing, did you and your friends see or hear any approaching vehicles of any sort?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: