You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The White Crocodile God

Real Ghost Stories

The White Crocodile God

 

I live with my father and brother in Johannesburg South Africa "and no there are no lions or antelope running around in the streets it's a city just the same as any other in the US". Well I'm 19 years of age now and a geography student at the University of Johannesburg UJ. I'm a white young male but here in Africa we work together with the native people. Thus I see myself as a meticulous person and scientifically correct.

This occurrence happened during the autumn in April southern hemisphere when we were on a vacation to the northeastern part of the country to Venda land. This is an area where the Venda people have established themselves in a lush vegetated area of the country where there is a small rainforest and a swamis' area. This is situated right next to the Kruger National Park I think everybody is familiar with it and thus its still a very primitive place with lions, crocodiles, antelope and hundreds of other species of animals.

Now I was 17 at the time and almost done with school, this vacation was just what I needed. So we headed towards the Kruger National Park and stayed there for a week's time in the Punda-Maria camp the most northern camp in the park. Having seen Nyala, Giraffe, Hippo, Leopard etc we became bored with the area and decided to travel to Thohoyandou one morning, this is the capital of the Venda land. Now just so you know these people that stay there have been modernized but still have kept to some African traditions, the one that they are renown for is the fact that they believe in a white crocodile, this is their "god", and I'm sure there have been rumors in the US about this but its true they do worship the crocodile because they have done so since before Rome was built. Imagine yourself having to find your only food source which is fish and have no knowledge at all about the outside world. Then a creature that the "king of beasts" the mighty lion even fears appear from nowhere and strikes with such force that it can kill a full grown buffalo, it takes about 4 lionesses to stand a chance against a buffalo. So that's what these people think, its invincible and yet endangered.

So I at the time wanted to see this creature for myself, because every body here talks bout the white crocodile that has been around forever. Now just so you know the crocodiles that you see on television is mostly your American alligators, I have been to Florida in 2000 (and yes were on an airboat ride at the everglades) and the Australians so called salties Steven Irwin. Now the alligators are just plane boring and the Australians are always going on about stuff, the largest salty ever caught wasn't even 4.5 metres, now that's large considering its the length of 3-4 persons. Well here in Africa there is the Nile crocodile, the largest carnivore on land, measuring up to 4 metres and the largest ever was close to 6m, that's almost 20feet.

So we went to the place in Venda and weren't allowed to go into the forest there because only the priests are. For decades young girls of the tribes was sacrificed to this crocodile that inhabits the lake, because it will cause some sort of illness if they don't. So the legend goes that the girls are sent into the lake walking all dressed up with a weaved basket on their head full of Impala meat, then she just disappears below the water and all that you see is the water turning red in the full moon.

So my father made a plan and we decided to wander into the forest that night because everybody is asleep, afraid of the mosquitoes that carry the malaria disease. We got a native to be our guide, his name was Elias, but they call him whitey because he speaks the language of the white man.

That night I will never forget, I don't think it was a ghost, it couldn't be because I don't really believe in such things although the natives do. We went into the forest of Venda meaning nice place of rest. You walk past a lot of cycads and thorn bushes then there is a stage where the bush is just so lush. We eventually made it to the lake at around 22:30pm and sat there on the shore taking a rest. My brother who is now 16 had one of those large 3000,000 candle powered lights with him and shined over the water, to my amazement there were no red little lights which would normally be crocodile eyes shining red in light at night. The Kruger Park is not far from there and crocs are most common in the rivers.

Then the guide Whitey decided to head back because it was closing in on midnight and the moon was going under meaning that it was soon to be so dark that you can't see anything. So we stood up and my brother threw a piece of meat we brought along now covered in mosquitoes into the lake, it was then that I didn't want to leave because there came a huge hissing blowing, soon meaning there was a crocodile near the shore.

Whitey decided to wait for us up in a tree being afraid, now they say white men are ignorant and not respective of nature well that was turning out to be true. What I saw wasn't a ghost it was a real life creature and it wasn't white more grayish. It lifted its head out of the water and then made that sound again bellowing like crazy. It looked like a crocs head but wasn't as flat. The 3 of us ran for it up into the same tree as whitey and sat there staring at it. It came out of the water and then I realized that it wasn't any crocodile but a whitish dinosaur, no really!

The stuff they teach us say they extinct 65 million years ago but here was a large carnivorous looking beast, it didn't leave the lake which is very large it just stood in the shallow water and looked over the lake. It stood on two legs and had a long tail and two small forearms, wasn't the trex form Jurassic park though, it had scales and wasn't as large. My father recon it stood about 2m tall and was like 5meters in length.

I saw it for maybe 20min and then it went under again. Now why would this be in a swamp eating fish and girls and not extinct in some sort of mudstone layer in Northern America.

I ran that night away like I never ran when it went under followed by my father and brother, I swear this is true I can still see it at night in my dreams, but I never told nobody because its against the theory of evolution and scientists which I associate myself with to some degree.

Best of luck to all and thanks for the opportunity that I have to share this with you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Stegosaurus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Uhhhhn.

For someone thinking themself scientifically correct... This story has a lot of things to it that are just -wrong.-

I will take the liberty to go down the list, if you will indulge me. For starters, you said;

"Now just so you know the crocodiles that you see on television is mostly your American alligators..."

I'm not sure what you meant by this. A crocodile is not an alligator, and vice versa. Alligators are relatively docile and prefer to eat fish rather than yank down full grown wildebeest into a lake. This is something I learned at age 10. Then you proceed to mention;

"Well here in Africa there is the Nile crocodile, the largest carnivore on land..."

The largest animal on land is considered to be the polar bear. The crocodile may be longer yes, but it's the polar bear that holds the heavyweight title of the terrestrial predator championships. Then, you proceeded to say:

"For decades young girls of the tribes was sacrificed to this crocodile that inhabits the lake, because it will cause some sort of illness if they don't."

I find this highly unbelievable, but I could agree... If you showed me some reference and proof that this actually occurs/did occur. And then you described an event...

"my brother threw a piece of meat we brought along now covered in mosquitoes into the lake..."

Mosquitos attack living creatures, not dead ones. It's the body heat that draws them in. Most likely, they'd be attacking your arms, face, and neck, and not a hunk of dead meat. Now if you said flies, then I would understand. Next...

"to my amazement there were no red little lights which would normally be crocodile eyes shining red in light at night. The Kruger Park is not far from there and crocs are most common in the rivers."

I don't understand your amazement. Crocodiles generally stay underneath the surface of the water, and are very territorial. Thus... They chase away any other crocodiles so that there's only ever 1-2 crocs in one territory average, due to mating.

I should hope you are not a biologist. I am not one, myself, and am aware of these details simply by reading books and the like. Finalizing it off with the apparition of a ghost dinosaur, saying you do not believe, and then posting this story on Your Ghost Stories makes me very certain... That this story is a fake.

My apologies for the rant. This one just really got my attention.
HiddenProphecy (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
There are African legends about living dinosaurs and if this was made up I would expect it to be better written, so I believe it.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-03)
Hahahahaha this is one of the craziest stories I have ever read going straight to the favourites. And I'm Australian and I don't go on about stuff! Oh wait maybe I do!lol

Good story thanks for sharing it.

Dan
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
The stegosaurus was a herbivore. So techncially his Stego, if it existed, would have become a carnivore, if not girl-a-vore.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Alright, here it is...

This guy is making the fool of all of us. He didn't see anything out there at all. He's pulling our leg. He figures if these people believe in ghosts, maybe they'll even believe in monsters--natural or not.

Personally, I think this one is a hoax. And while I do believe there are myriad unknown species still on Earth, I do not really believe this account. There's just too much going on. If this was a real story, it would be obvious--this guy would be almost panicking to relate his story and get it out there. As is, it's just waaaay too non chalant. He saw a DINOSAUR. You'd think he'd care...

Extremely entertaining, though! 😆
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
I probably should not comment on this one... But what the heck. I pained me to read this and I am sorry that this will probably offend, butI think I saw a really bad B-rated movie or something about almost exactly what you just described. Throwing in the girl sacrifices with raw meat kind of took this one too far.
But it was your experience so I guess, it is what it is!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Stegosauraus,
Is it possible that as this was at night in a secured, forbidden and sacred area that your expectations were very high? So, when this crocodile that is a native to Africa and is a descendant of the dinosaur shows up and is enormous and frightening your eyes and perhaps your thoughts deceived you a bit? I am not saying the same thing would not happen to me, because I am sure it would. It just stands to reason that logically, you did get to see the crocodile that the Venda revere.

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
I am not even going to read through the comments.
I must say, the reason this story caught my attention and kept it was due to the fact that my sister spent many years in Africa (right around this area, I might add), married a "native boy", and my eldest nephew was born in a straw roofed hospital somewhere out in the Wilds.
I have had the privilege of studying video, photography, drawings and sketches of the many wondrous places that she walked. And have had the honor to be able to pour over books and pamphlets about the places only natives get to see.
Johannesburg, South Africa, is where she shopped. But she spent most of her time in Swaziland.
Interesting thing about those crocs. They are named as one of the WORLDS longest surviving dinosaur. (Right along with the ten foot Komodo dragon on the small Indonesian Island of Komodo.) They still have very similar characteristics to their ancestors, and are found in more places than just in the swamps of South Africa.
I hate to say it, but you did not see a dinosaur, only one of it's descendants. There are still many around, and the Discovery channel or Animal planet just did a bit on them about a month back. They are grayish, and they are huge, due to the fact that they seem to live much longer than the average croc, and seem to hide so much better also.
Thank you.
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-06)
great story and interesting comments.

this is one I won't see on sci fi channel.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Animals are being discovered all the time. Just recently the"Elephant Shrew" was discovered, that was suppose to be extinct. Wow what a story here for sure.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woahwoah woah woah woah--- WHAT?!

This has got to be one of the most crazy stories I've ever read on here. Will never forget this one! Thanks for sharing!
nigheanruadh (17 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
I admit I cringed when I read this story, not only for the fact that you seemed to be implying that the Venda people were "primitive" because they live amongst nature instead of a wildlife-free city, but because you say that finding an organism in the fossil record that we believe to be extinct alive today goes against "evolution and scientists".

Nowhere in my evolution textbooks have I ever read that animals in the fossil record that we assume are extinct cannot possibly be alive today. As other posters mentioned, we are still discovering new species every day, even ones that we thought were extinct. The Coelacanth is a perfect example of an organism we once thought was extinct, but recently discovered that it is in fact still alive.

Also, worshipping a "white crocodile" is no different than going to worship "god" at a Christian church for example. I find that the tone in which you were writing about this was implying that because their religious practices involved an animal that they are automatically "primitive".

Maybe this wasn't what you were really trying to say, but that's just what I got out of it. It does make for an interesting cryptozoology story though.
Brookie17 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
What about Gustave that hunts people in Burundi? Is that true? Do you have an accent? Can I come visit you in Africa?
JPing (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
"the Australians are always going on about stuff"

Hey man, I resent that. You start off by debunking an ignorant steoeotype and then make one yourself. Australian's don't rave on about crocs just as antelope don't prance down your streets (at least I think that's what you were implying, it wasn't clear).

Interesting story, reminds me of another I heard years ago about a creature with a hippo's head and walked on two feet. Every now and then strange creatures do turn up. Crocs survived the extinction of the dinosaurs, perhaps this creature you saw did too.
Stegosaurus (1 stories) (1 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Im not sure myself, but we have like 9 native groups in South Africa (Zulu,Xhosa,Sotho,Ndebele,Tsonga,Venda etc) Well the Venda are the ones that hate the white men and live in isolation all the other have moved to cities and modernized etc. So I think those people the Venda has a lot of secrets that they can tell us bout the world. 😁 Africa is amazing I have been to Europe, America etc but there is just a sence of truth here in Africa. People and beast live together and just for info they don't believe in evolution here. I think scientists are just keeping a grip on the world with that theory as it is all they have to prove all the other stuff. Now why would natives here recognise a dinosaur picture and say it lives there when they have never ever even seen a book before or heard about the dino extinction ever.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-05)
Is that the tribe that does scarification to look more like crocodiles?
As far as having a scientific mind, when it comes to nature you always have to have an open mind. Things change constantly, and there are parts of the earth far from reach of man kind. They are still discovering new creatures every day in the oceans.
I enjoyed your story! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: