You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: What my Roommate Brought In

Real Ghost Stories

What my Roommate Brought In

 

In 2003 I moved into a brand new house southwest of Phoenix in a small farming community that stands in the shadows of the Estrella Mountains. It is a beautiful area and many times I am still overwhelmed by it's beauty. It was a tough adjust for this city slicker at first, where the only noises I would hear at night were the baying and yips of coyotes. And yes, there are tumbleweeds here. I only thought they existed in "Roadrunner" cartoons but I was wrong. I never felt anything odd about this house or the area. It had been a cotton field before homes were built.

In early 2004 I decided to take in a roommate to help offset the cost of living. A friend of mine, Michele, moved in with her little bichon dog. A few weeks later I was out of town for the weekend and Michele offered to watch my ferret, Monsoon. I returned late on a Sunday evening and was surprised to see Michele up still reading. She said everything went well over the weekend but she had some concerns over some noises she was hearing coming from my bedroom. My bedroom was right behind hers. She said while laying in bed she could hear what sounded like boxes being tossed around. At one point it got very loud. Then she heard scratching noises. She got up to investigate and upon entering my room found nothing out of place. Monsoon was sound asleep in her cage. She returned to her room and suddenly the noises started back up. Surely thinking Monsoon must have somehow gotten out of her cage, she returned to my room. Again nothing was out of place and Monsoon was still asleep in the same position she had been in previously. After that the noises stopped. I have never witnessed this so I pretty much dismissed it thinking she must have heard Monsoon messing with stuff.

Soon after, we woke up at 5am to the doorbell ringing. I got up to see who was being quite persistent at ringing the bell at such an early hour. Michele was already in the kitchen looking out the window. The dog was going crazy. Michele said, "there's nobody out there..." You have a clear view of the front door from the kitchen window. I stood by her side and watched the front door while the doorbell continued to ring with no one pushing the bell. I brought a chair into the living room, stood on it, and disconnected the bell. It was strange but I really didn't think anything else about it other than being a malfunction.

About a week later I awoke one morning to Michele knocking on my door telling me to come quick. I leaped out of bed and ran to see what was going on. She told me that she walked into the kitchen in the dark and that the dog wouldn't follow her in. He stood at the threshold whining. She turned on the light and much to her surprise, the kitchen linoleum was swimming with thousands of maggots. They were everywhere! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The floor appeared to be moving on its on accord. I threw on some shoes, grabbed a broom, and started sweeping. Michele grabbed the dust pan and brush and did what she could before being overcome by nausea. She ran from the kitchen to her bathroom. I could hear her gagging. The dog remained at the threshold of the kitchen clearly agitated. I took a couple of deep breaths to keep myself from getting sick and began to sweep up the maggots.

I grabbed a trash bag and kept dumping them in. It took me about 45 minutes to get them all. I brought the bag outside and tied it in a knot. Upon returning to the kitchen there were more maggots squirming on the floor. Where the heck were they coming from? I checked the garbage, cabinets, under the sink and under the oven. They weren't coming from anywhere. They simply were just there. They were not confined to one area. I have a fairly big kitchen and they were spread out over the floor.

I started sweeping again and this time they did not come back. I got ready for work and grabbed the bag which I dumped into the dumpster on my way into the office. At the time I was working for a traditional Latin Catholic church (I was also working part-time as a Licensed Massage Therapist at a day spa but this will come into play later). I told the priests what had happened and they seem to believe that something more sinister was at work here. I really didn't know what to believe. I was the first owner of this house. How could this be happening? They believe that something was either attached to my roommate or an object that belonged to her, and that it was now in my house.

A gentleman from the church, who assists the priests in exorcisms, agreed to come to my house on a Saturday afternoon to bless it. I followed him from room to room as he prayed in Latin and marked the windows with a cross after he dipped his fingers in holy water. He placed St. Benedict medals (St. Benedict was an exorcist) in the four corners of my house for protection, as well as hang a St. Benedict crucifix in my bedroom.

Things did stop in the house but four months later I would wake thinking I had just heard the doorbell ring even though it was still disconnected. A couple of times I even got up to check. It made me wonder if whatever it was was waiting outside the door but couldn't cross the threshold in due to the blessing and the medals.

Not too long after the maggot incident, I was at my part-time job at a day spa when I had a woman come in needing a massage. She was a religious lady and told me that she was very active with her church. She told me she was trying to get her mother to stop practicing Catholicism. Being Catholic, I asked why. She said that her mother had called her one night and told her to come over because her kitchen floor was covered in maggots. I thought I was going to have a heart-attack right then and there. I asked her when this happened and it was determined that this happened the night before my incident.

She also went on to tell me that they could find no source for the maggots. She and a girlfriend of hers went to her mother's house and read the Bible out loud. She advised her mother to take down all her religious statues and pictures. My house is filled with religious pictures but I refuse to take something down that I have associated with good my whole life. In fact, they hang there to this day. I did not tell this woman that I was Catholic. I did not know her from a whole in the wall. This was a very strange occurrence. I couldn't help but wonder if whatever had caused this to happen at my house knew that in the near future I would meet up with this lady at the day spa. I'm quite puzzled with this one.

Regardless, after the blessing all strange activity in the house stopped. I still kept thinking I was hearing the doorbell ring first thing in the morning but that has stopped as well. I have long since reconnected the doorbell and have not had another occurrence. of bugs or bells.

Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jrose1967 (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-20)
Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the story. I find it interesting. I was born and raised in a small farming community in the shadow of the Estrellas. Actually third generation. These are good places to live. But, I can tell you... Your experiences are not out of the norm. For some reason, there seems to be a lot of odd activity in this area of the Valley. Like I said, my family has been there for quite a while and I've heard plenty.

As an aside, I have to take issue with Ohiowatha's comments. This desert has been a craddle of farming for over 1,000 years. Most of the major canals were actually dug by Hohokams. The Arizona desert has plenty of water both in the ground and in the resevoirs. We are in much better shape for such than many other places.

Yes, the environment has changed... Mostly do to the influx of people and the "heat island" effect of paving the desert.

But, like most things... People think they know a whole lot more than they actually do. And, surface appearances are not where the truth lies.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
Hi KimCan,
Thanks for your responses to a few of my stories here. I figure that I'm going to get all kinds of comments and I have to take the good with the bad. I guess that's what makes this such a neat site. Thanks again.

Jennifer ❀
KimCan (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
Hi Jennifer, I've read a few of your stories and you strike me as a very reasonable and credible person so I was surprised when some people responded so negatively to this story! I would expect folks around here to be more open minded, but I suppose we all have our biases. I'm also sorry that that silly woman at the spa said those things about Catholics. I'm an evangelical Christian, but most of my family is Catholic, and they certainly don't worship idols.

All the best!
Kim
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
I realize no one has posted on this for over a year but incase it let's you know when some one does I thought I would mention Beelzebub read up. ^_~ catholics scare me plenty but it's quite possible the lady at the spa wanted you to take them down to allow entery into your house again and her story was fake. Just a thought.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Bellissima, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. There is something about these little guys that just steals your heart. I can relate to the closeness you must have felt with her. I felt that with CJ and I feel it with Monsoon. Thanks for the well wishes for Monsoon. 😊

Jennifer ❀
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Jennifer, kind of off topic but I just lost my sweetest baby, just turned 4, to a stroke, on Valentine's Day. Not something I can help, but, I've never had a pet like her. She and I were just so close. I feel for what you have to go through with Monsoon. We are lucky enough to have two other goofy furballs to help take our minds off of our loss. Good luck with Monsoon, I'm thinking of you and your little fuzzbutt. ❀
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Bellissima, no problem! I understand that it is a lot to take in. It was a very "off the wall" occurence that I couldn't really make heads or tails of. But anyways, I really do appreciate your comments as they make me think a little harder on how to better communicate an event, or also to really look at the event and think to myself, "okay, was this a coincidence, or are all these events really linked?" That's when it helps to get the opinion of others.

As far as ferrets go, they are wonderful pets. Monsoon is the 4th one I have owned (or should I say has owned me?) and she is a complete joy. She will be 5 in May and will also be undergoing surgery next month for adrenal disease. 😒 Please think well thoughts for her, and thanks for sharing your stories of your ferrets as well.

Jennifer ❀
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Jennifer, thanks for the quick reply. Now you have given a more detailed description, I at least feel better about that. I really do apreciate you answering. That alone gives some credibility. Sorry but I do still have some trouble with it though. As for your other stories, they didn't seem questionable so this one for me was just too dramatic and off the wall, not like anything previous. I just have to add that my family and I have been long time ferret parents to many different personalities. Aren't they the craziest things! We currently have a pair of natural brothers who are like night and day. I'll bet when CJ is throwing his temper tantrum, he's really not, he's having about as much fun as he could possible have! They are pure joy tucked in a tiny package. And boy do we enjoy their company! Definitely not a pet for everybody.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Hi Whitebuffalo,
I love the name Moe for a ferret. 😊 I guess just like people they all have their different personalities. One of mine, CJ, was prone to throwing temper tantrums. It was the funniest thing to watch. Monsoon loves music which I have never witnessed with my others before. The breeder says its because her husband's band used to practice in the garage when Monsoon was a little baby.

Jennifer ❀
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-23)
Hi Bellissima,
I did not belong to a church that was recognized under the Vatican, although the current pope is negotiating with them now. Google "SSPX" and it will further explain this. It stands for the Society of Saint Pius the 10th. This church came into existence in the early 1970s when a few cardinals did not accept the changes the Catholic church made at the time. They broke off from the Vatican because they believed the changes (Mass in English and not Latin, communion given while the individual is not kneeling at the altar, and many more) got too far away from traditional Catholicism. They believed these changes were wrong of the Vatican so they formed the SSPX.

Therefore, this particular church did not need permission from the local diocese or the Vatican, like a Novus Ordo (New Order) Catholic church would because we weren't recognized in their eyes as even being a Catholic church. Although exorcisms weren't an every day occurence at this church, I know that they did happen at least once while I was working there. I'm sorry I did not make that clear. I no longer belong to this church.

Also, I live in the small farming community. The church is located in the city of Phoenix 10 miles away. I'm sorry that you are finding this hard to believe. You have responded to my other stories and I would not suddenly start posting false accounts. But I do respect your opinion and I know upon submitting any story that there are going to be those who aren't always going to find what they are reading possible.

I hope this has answered any questions you might have, and if you have more, please ask. Like I stated before, I'm just looking for answers. Someone posted a comment that maybe these occurences were just simple coincidence. Who knows? I don't. That's why I am here.

Jennifer ❀
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-22)
Yeah, my ferret, Moe (I STILL love the Three Stooges) would sleep like a rock. I can not tell you how many times I thought he had died in his sleep, just because I could not wake him up! But if we were to walk softly by his cage...
We would have "family parties" (just days when the kids and I would run around the house, blaring the stereo and eating potato chips and dip) and the MUSIC would not even wake him up.
Who knows why and how our animals get their traits?!
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-22)
Jennifer, you did not address my inquiry about why you had a 'gentleman from the church, who assists the priests in exorcisms' in your 'small farming community'. As I understand it, exorcisms are very difficult to obtain permission for from the higher ups in the Catholic system. It is something that must be proven to the extreme in order to have performed. I am having trouble with this aspect of your story. If the Catholic church performed exorsisms on the say so of just anybody, they would be performing tons of them and be the laughing stalk of the religious community. Ohiowatha, shame on you, I can't believe you of all people, the cynic of cynics, believed this one.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
I think most of the water here comes from the Colorado River. I have to agree with you Ohiowatha, about us running out of water at some point. From what I have heard, the Colorado is now reduced to a trickle in places where at some point in history it was a raging river.

The environment here is changing as well. The summers have become much more humid with the amount of folks moving here that want swimming pools and also with the amount of golf courses that have to be constantly watered. Regardless, I can't say I will be moving anytime soon but I'd be happy if they stopped building. 😊

Oh well, back to the ghost stories.

Jennifer ❀
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Cool story, thanks for sharing!

...and on an unrelated note: why do Americans INSIST on farming in the desert for goodness sake? How on Earth does it make sense to anyone to farm in an area where tumbleweeds are the dominant plantlife? No offense to you, Jennifer, but it's so irresponsible for people to live where there's no water. It's really, REALLY hard on the immediate environment and even those not surrounding it. Chances are, your community is "stealing" water from lots of states other than Arizona--even as far away as the Dakotas.

I just can't believe the southwest continues to grow. It is quickly reaching its support capacity and the whole house of cards out there will soon come crashing down. A real shame.

Ok, rant concluded! Thanks! 😁
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Hi Whitebuffalo,
Thanks for your input. I never found the source of where they were coming from so who knows? Also, I have no proof other than what my roommate told me at the time. I myself have never experienced anything like that in my room. Monsoon is a very sound sleeper and I often times have to wake her up for some play time. I have had others though that would know the moment you would walk into a room. Who knows? It may very well be coincidence that these events took place. Thanks again for commenting Whitebuffalo. I always appreciate your input on my stories. 😊

Jennifer ❀
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
I have not read the other comments, Jennifer40, but feel the need to share a story with you.
Several years ago, while being introduced to my husbands family (he has a rather large one), we would spend days at a time in the different family members homes. They had lived so far away from each other that to meet with all of them, this was necessary for rest between the visits.
At one of his brothers homes, where we stayed for about a week, I was taking the trash out to the burn barrel and noticed just a few maggots at the bottom of the trash can. Instantly revolted, I took the can out and rinsed it in the yard and brought it back in.
The next day as I was walking out of the home right past the trash can, I again saw maggots crawling around the can. I know I rinsed it out, and know that there were no more present when I walked it back in.
The thing is, the breeding ground for maggots is so diverse. All that is needed besides a bit of rubbish is warmth. And that, I am sure you have in Arizona. Emma brought up some very true points about the growing of the maggots. I think this part of your story has natural reasons for occurring.
The noises in the bedroom have me puzzled as your ferret slept through the whole thing. I have had six ferrets in my adult life, and any little noise would have their noses peeking out of the tower that they lived in. Even someone walking across the carpet in stocking feet would perk them right up.
The doorbell really could have been a malfunction.
Catholicism has nothing to do with what you have experienced. I believe it to be pure coincidence that the woman to come for a massage had a mother with a similar infestation.
Thank you.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Hi Killingkilgore,
Her mother had religious statues around and the belief is that Catholics are worshipping these statues rather than Jesus. The daughter believed that what was happening was because of her mother's Catholic beliefs and because she had so many religious statues and pictures in the house.

I don't believe that the maggots had anything to do with being Catholic per se, but I found it strange at the time that another person with the same religious background as myself had experienced this within a day of my experience. Also, I had the people around me telling me this was a very bad thing to have happen. I hope this answered your question. If you have any more, please let me know.

Jennifer ❀
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Jennifer, this was a great, well written, and very creepy story. I loved it. I'm curious about one thing though, I'm not catholic so this line confused me:
"She told me she was trying to get her mother to stop practicing Catholicism. Being Catholic, I asked why. She said that her mother had called her one night and told her to come over because her kitchen floor was covered in maggots"
Do maggots, or a maggot infestation have something to do with Catholocism? Otherwise, I see no reason why the woman's daughter would want to make her stop practicing her religion for something like that. I seem to be straying from the story though, just a little curious is all. Thanks for sharing!
P.S. Monsoon! What an adorable name for a ferrett!
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Emma,
Thanks for the info! Maybe it was just fly-breeding season or something. I don't know. πŸ˜• Yes, I was a bit shocked to come back into the house and find more. There weren't as many as the first time but they were there nonetheless.

Thanks again,
Jennifer ❀
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
After reading your interesting story, I decided to do a little research on maggots. I looked up "maggot" on wikipedia and discovered a few facts. One: they are the larval stage of any insect, not just a fly, two: they only neeed 8 - 20 hours to grow, giving them sufficient time overnight to grow on your kitchen floor, and three: they come in large numbers. Since there was another woman (who coincidentally was also Catholic) in your community who had experienced the same thing, perhaps it was a local infestation of insects laying maggots all around during the same time frame. Perhaps your doors were left open, allowing the insects/flies to come into your home, or perhaps your roommates dog brought them in somehow. What I am at a loss to help explain is why there were more maggots after you cleaned up the first time.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Blackette,
Thanks so much! I hope I don't either. 😊 My next roommate was my husband and he has only brought good things in. πŸ˜‰

Jennifer ❀
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Ok... Well good luck with everything there and I hope you don't have any more problems.

-bk
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Yes, I still do. My account here is the only strange thing that has happened.

--And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. 😊

Jennifer ❀
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
IMO, if it does not work all the time, then it does not work at all. Do you still live there?
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Again Blackettle,
I guess I really don't have an answer for that. I do know that it doesn't work all the time. Its not a sure fire way to rid a home of anything from what I have seen and read. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. I'm lucky in my case that it worked. 😊 --And no offense taken at all.

Jennifer ❀
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
I figure, but I just have a hard time with the holy statues, holy water, blessing thing actually working (again no offense intended).

The only story I can think of (which I actually believe) of a demon fearing anything holy was when Jesus encounterd a demon named Legion inhabiting a man. The demon feared being cast into "the abyss" (whatever that is, it must be bad). Even the apostles failed to cast out some demons. So how can some water, statues, Preists, etc keep a demon away? πŸ˜•
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Blackettle,
I keep religious statues in my home as a momento to the people they represent (saints, holy people, etc...) just as one would place a picture of a loved one or friend in their home. There are those that believe that Catholics worship these things and that is evil (idolatry). That is why the woman in my story wanted her mother to take those things down. The medals in my home were blessed by a priest, so it's not so much the medal that is suppose to deter bad beings, it is the blessing.

Thanks for reading,
Jennifer ❀
blackettle (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
This is not meant to offend anyone personally, but what is so "holy" about the statues? I have a hard time believing that a demon/ghost/whatever is affraid of a piece of glass/porcelain/wood/whatever. πŸ˜•
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi All,
Thanks for reading. My roommate moved out a long time ago and we have since lost touch. The church I belonged to at the time was a renegade Catholic church. They practiced a form of Catholicism that was the same as what was practiced in the 16th century. We wore veils on our heads to Mass on Sundays still and the Mass was completely in Latin. I no longer belong to this church as I found it very restrictive, but I respect those that still do.

Bellissima, I would not insult anyone on this site by posting anything that wasn't a true account. I will never understand why I had so many maggots in my kitchen or why I happen to run into a complete stranger who had witnessed the same thing. I did not have an exorcism in my house. It was a blessing. I, like everyone else, am just looking for answers. I certainly didn't call the newspaper when this happened let alone the Enquirer. πŸ˜‰ Regardless, I respect your opinion and appreciate your input.

Jennifer ❀
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Maggots?!?! I would have been sick right along with your room mate. I wonder what the sigifgance of the maggots is? Is your room mate stillo with you? Are you still in the same home?

God Bless!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: