You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Third Roommate

Real Ghost Stories

A Third Roommate

 

I found this in my Draft folder, dated 11/4/16. I wasn't sure why I did not continue submitting this. Probably, I was not that confident to write in English anymore. This is something I've experienced between November 2010 to January 2011.

As a new teacher (and single; no love life), our deputy head gave me early and late classes in my first year of teaching. When I say early, it's 7:30-9:00 a.m. And late is from 6:00-7:30 p.m. My parents' house is an hour and a half away from the university I was teaching, so I decided to rent a room. In the Philippines, it's common to call a house where you can rent "boarding house." After three houses, I finally found the one I like.

The boarding house was an old two story building. There were three rooms on the ground floor and two on the second floor. I occupied the second room on the second floor. When you enter, the first thing you would see was the sink and big window at the opposite side, overlooking a public basketball court. Beside the sink was the bathroom. Near the bathroom was a queen-sized bed. So, a bed for two. 'Cause the price was quite expensive, I looked for a roommate. Glad I found Celine, a student-volunteer in our office. She's like a younger sister to me and we became so close to each other, since she would never be my student.

Most of the time, Celine was busy with her student-volunteer activities and we'd only see each other at night, or during lunch time. During Saturdays, I didn't like extending hours at the faculty lounge because that would mean seeing the man who just broke my heart. So, I'd take home some paper works, enjoying the solitude in my 'safe haven'. After few or more paper works, I would fall asleep. Bad handwriting of students give me headache. I would take a nap still holding my pen and the paper. I would be awaken by a gentle tap on my shoulder. I thought I was imagining or dreaming. But it happened for two to three times on the same period of the day and I was alone.

It didn't freak me out. I just prayed that if ever there was really a ghost, it would not harm me. One day, Celine forgot her keys to the main door of the house and our room. She sent me a text message that she was on her way to the boarding house from school and she'd text me again when she was already at the front gate. I was on the bed that day, feeling sad and blue, while listening to love songs from my laptop. I closed my eyes - did what I usually did: reminisced the past and asked what went wrong; why the bloke suddenly 'broke' what we had. Suddenly, I felt 'someone' lie down beside me and felt another gentle but cold tap on my shoulder (I was facing the wall). I opened my eyes, turned to see who was there, but I saw no one.

I lay again and didn't notice I fell asleep. I felt a gentle, cold hand on my leg (near my ankle) and when I opened my eyes, I saw my phone on the bed side table, vibrating. Celine was calling. I answered the phone and she told me, she was already outside the boarding house, waiting for me to open the door.

Few days passed, I wasn't the only one who could feel the presence of our third room mate. One night, Celine and I were awoken by noise from the bathroom. It was the sound of dripping water. I thought we left the faucet on. I got up and opened the bathroom. The sound was gone and there was no leaking or flowing water. The faucet was turned off.

Several nights passed, it still happened. We would be awoken by the sound of the dripping water. And I would always get up to check the bathroom only to find the entire bathroom floor dry. We got used to it. After all, it was harmless.

Most of the time, when I was alone and listening to sad love songs that would make me remember the guy, I'd feel a gentle tap on my shoulder, as if telling me "it's okay". I was sure, it wasn't my imagination 'cause Celine could feel the presence, too; just in a different manner. But our "third roommate" would also wake her up by a tap on one leg.

That was my first paranormal experience, though when I was a child, I used to see "weird" and horrible faces at night at the foot of my bed, but perhaps they were just my imagination. I used to wake my mom (in the Philippines, due to poverty, children can sleep beside their parents until a certain age), and tell her that there were people staring at me and she would tell me to close my eyes and pray. By the way, I still don't know until now if those images I saw when I was a child were 'real' or just my imagination. They stopped when I reached first year high school. Anyway, as it was what I considered 'first paranormal' experience, I asked around. I asked some people if they have encountered ghosts. Some said they did, several times already. Some said, the ghost of a family member visited them. I started thinking if our third roommate was my deceased brother. We were so close and we lost him unexpectedly. That time, he was already seven years gone. But I wasn't sure as my brothers and our tenants would mention from time to time about seeing a man in white shirt walking around the house.

Then, my best friend crossed my mind. She was my one and only best friend, since childhood. But an illness took her away... Confused, I already told my landlady about the weird things happening. She confirmed that there was a ghost in our boarding house and the previous occupants of our room also complained the same things. Celine and I were somewhat relieved when we learned that it's not only the two of us who experienced such things. At the end of the school year, we both moved out from the place and searched for a new one.

A year later, TREE GIANT and IMMERSION happened.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by MysticFrance

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MysticFrance, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

midnightscareshow (4 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-30)
Wow thank you for letting me use your story! I will post the link here after I've posted it on Youtube. 😁
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-22)
midnightscareshow,

Hi! Thank you for reading my story. I changed my phone, so I cannot open my email because I cannot remember my password. But yes, you can narrate my story. It's not that creepy, though. But I hope your viewers will like it.:)
midnightscareshow (4 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-19)
Hi MysticFrance,

I absolutely love how creepy this story is! I'm a newbie YouTube narrator who's looking for quality scary stories for me to narrate and I would love for this story to be my first video. Hit me up if you're up for it. My email address is midnightscareshow [at] gmail.com. Thanks! 😊
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-01)
Twilight,

Yes, you can go to my page and click "FLY HIGH".

I heard about that baby snatcher since I was a child, because when my sister (fifteen years older) was pregnant, she constantly talked about it. It wasn't clear to me, but my first vivid memory was that of our neighbor who was also pregnant. We woke up one morning and found their roof damaged because a manananggal attacked their house through the roof and in return, she used a bamboo with a knife on top (used for getting fruits from the tree) to hit the monster.

You can watch a short film about it on YT with subtitles if you want. Regards.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-01-01)
Happy New Year to you too 😊 that's really scary to hear about your experience with the baby snatcher 😨 I know that feeling of being watched very well, since I constantly feel that in our home. Fortunately whatever it is, doesn't seem to be bad. As for your experience with the baby snatcher, I'd like to hear more about it. Like I said before, other than just hearing that people have mentioned it, I don't know anything about it. Is the story you mentioned you submitted here, about that experience? Either way, I'll be sure to read about it.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-31)
Twilight,

Happy new year! Thanks for your kind words.

I've actually encountered that baby snatcher though the experience was not like the others. I am not a person who's easilyget scared, but that night, I really was. Scared for myself and my unborn child. You know that feeling when someone is watching you? And that uncomfortable feeling that someone is behind you? I couldn't explain that much, but you couldread my story entitled FLY HIGH. Thank you again. I'm going to read your stories now. 😉
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-31)
It really sounds like you had a very difficult childhood, when it came to wanting to speak up about what you were experiencing, but was in fear of being ridiculed. I've heard how hard it can be growing up in a Catholic family (I mean no disrespect towards that, as I'm not implying to be against catholics). I actually just recently heard on here, on I think a comment under another submission, about the baby snatcher thing. Other than reading that comment I saw, I never heard of it before. It sounds very scary to think about having to worry about happening. Hopefully it's rare that it even happens. I'm interested in reading your submission about your gran, and I'm glad to hear that she at least believed in the paranormal, hopefully giving you at least someone to find comfort in sharing your experiences with? I had recently submitted an experience about my Mamaw on here, which is now up. But mine is about her passing. I'm glad you shared some of your personal experiences with me, and hope that you'll continue to feel comfortable enough here to share more with us.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-29)
My maternal grandmother believes in paranormal, and so is my mom. I hope we'll get to see here my story about gran. I already submitted.

We grew up in my father's hometown and our aunts (papa's sisters) are very religious. They tend to scold us like the strict Spanish aunts. I was afraid to be scolded, like: "That's what you get for not praying the rosary, for not going to church every Sunday."

And I would imagine my Mom getting angry. My Mom doesn't get along with my aunts, so I tend to keep things to myself, even if I was called ugly by my cousin (who was an adopted but she doesn't know haha). My point here is, my father's relatives are a bit of judgemental. Of course Catholics in the Philippines believe in ghosts. Exorcisms halpened everywhere in the Philippines. But I guess my cousins just started to speak about paranormal when they got pregnant because in our hometown, there are "manananggal". They are 'fetus' snatchers.

Also, another reason why maybe I kept it to myself, was because I don't want to see more of them. I don't want to be sensitive to the spirits, though there was a time after my brother died that I wish he would show himself to me. But all I had were dreams.

Right now, I don't have any experiences at home and I am glad for it. At work, my fellow (online) teachers have experiences and even our Japanese student asked my colleague during an online class: "Teacher, your son?" 'Cause the student saw a boy behind the teacher. And the others saw someone passing by their work stations while teaching, so they weren't sure who it was. But I never felt any, seen any, aside from the banging of the stall door in the rest room when I was alone.
😳 😐

Thanks again. You didn't help me directly, but your comments were eye opener. It also made me relieved knowing that I am not alone; I am not the only one who has experienced that and searching for possible answers.

Thanks again and regards!
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-12-29)
Hello again 😊 you're very welcome. I'd like to say as far as compared to other members on this site, I really don't consider myself as helpful as others, when it comes to being experienced in the knowledge of paranormal happening. But what I speak of is just from my personal experiences, and from what I've read and heard from others. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were afraid of what you saw as a child, and chose to write it off as not real. Only that I get wanting to believe it's not real, or really happening. You said you grew up in a Catholic family, is that meaning that your family didn't believe in ghost? I'd imagine having parents that don't believe in the paranormal, would make it hard for one to make sense of what they're experiencing. I don't think I really spoke much about what I experienced as a child to my mom, but now I'm able to talk to her about it, and luckily she believes what I've told her, but she hasn't ever experienced anything paranormal, and wonders why, since I've experienced so many in her home. The best I can think to tell her is that I'm just more sensitive to it. As far as how I experience things, it's more so through feeling something near me, as well as around me, and knowing where exactly it is, and if it's moving closer etc. I'm glad as far as actually seeing a spirit, I have not, but they still make their selves known around me in other ways. I've written some of my experiences on here if you're interested in reading any of them, and I've recently submitted 2 more, that I'm still waiting to be added on here. The last one I sent in, being a recent experience I had, dealing with a mischievous prankster that's hiding my clothes from me, that I wonder if it's my brother that has long since passed. As for you, have you ever considered the possibility that you yourself might be sensitive to spirits? Or perhaps when you see them, it's during a stressful time in your life, to where they may be drawn to you in that state. How often have you experienced seeing things that you couldn't explain? Has it been since you were a child, being every so often you experience things, or has there been long periods, like years to where you don't experience anything?
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-29)
Hi Twilight,

It's really nice to hear from you again. Well, I am glad that what I used to see stopped. It's not really that I was too afraid of them, but I guess being raised as a Catholic helped, because I always pray and keep my faith.

What could be the reason that it all stopped? These touches in my flat were what I considered as the first 'official' experience, because when I was working as a call center agent while studying Psychology and took a nap at work, I saw two figures. Those figures could be described by others as ghosts, but I was working on my thesis by day and answering calls at night, so I barely get enough sleep.

I would like to hear more of your recent experiences in your childhood home.

Thank you again for helping me with this.

Regards.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-12-28)
MysticFrance, after reading your comments, I get the feeling that what you experienced as a child (on what you would see), was most likely real, but you don't want to accept it as real. With the paranormal being the unknown, and scary at times, I think it's natural to not want to believe that you're seeing any truth to it. I experienced things as a child, that I feared, but would try to think of logical reasons as to what I experienced, but knew that there wasn't any for what I saw. After growing up, and to look back on it now, I still want to question what I experienced as a child, because it's easier to just say that you were so young, and didn't know what you really was seeing, but still experiencing the things as I've gotten older, proves to me that I'm not still imagining things. I'm even staying back in my childhood home, and still experience things happening that I can't make sense of, as well as my husband and youngest child. But this is just me saying the feeling I'm getting with what you've said, not implying that I'm right. I could be way off. I just wanted to say that you're not alone on questioning what all you would see as a child. As for my kids, my oldest seemed to stop seeing spirits whenever he was around 7 or 8 (he's now 13), but he still remembers what he saw as a child. My youngest that's now seeing them, will be 4 in February, and has been talking about seeing things since she was almost 3. She's freaked my family out over what she claims to see. I hope I didn't come off that I think I'm 100% right on what I believe could be the case, I was only saying how I feel that this may be the case. Hopefully I was able to make sense of what I was trying to say, and help you in some way.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-27)
Twilight,

Regarding your question, if I asked around. My landlady didn't tell me more information about the ghost nor the previous tenants' experiences. She didn't want potential tenants to know about it. Haha. She still became my landlady because the next flat I occupied was also owned by her. In another street.

Can your kids still see ghosts? How old are they now? I'm a bit relieved that my son is not seeing the unseen. He's four and very talkative.

Thanks for your comment and I hope to hear from you too again.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-27)
I mentioned that I took Psychology in college because I started to brush off the thought that I was seeing ghosts while in the middle of sleep and waking up. I've read about hypnopompic hallucination, that's why.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-27)
Hi Twilight,

Thanks for this wonderful comment. I was really looking forward that someone would help me or at least give me an idea about my childhood experience. But first, about the ghost at the flat, it was harmless and I really think that it was a caring ghost. "It" was always there to comfort me in a friendly way.

The semester ended in March and the ghost was not the primary reason why we moved out. In February, I started dating someone: that boyfriend in "Immersion" story. That's the main reason why Celine and I parted ways.

Back to my childhood experiences, I believe I have, like what you said, an overactive imagination. I am not 100% sure about that, but let me tell you my other experiences.

In the middle of the night, I would always get up to pee. On the second floor of the house where we lived, there was a terrace and it had a glass door. And it always had a curtain. But one night, during summer after my fourth grade, there was no curtain (I didn't know why) and I saw an evil-like face staring at me. I only saw a face. No body. But I brushed the thought off and went to the rest room. When I was on my way back to my bedroom, I saw three white figures in the terrace. Now, it was dark and it's middle of the night. The only light outside was the streetlight near our gate and I was using a flashlight. But it was very bright at the terrace. I saw an old man, wearing a Barong Tagalog (that's the Filipino formal attire). He has the same posture as my grandfather, so I thought he was really old; an woman, around my mother's age, wearing "Maria Clara" attire, and a little girl, around three years old. They were all gliding. They just passed by and then, gone. I managed to go back to bed and prayed.

The following day, I went to my siblings' school (a university with grade school and high school). Mom wanted to enroll me for summer classes and then I would eventually transfer from my public school to the university. Upon entering the gate, I saw a statue of a man in front of the high school building. I approached the statue and found out that it was the founder of the university and also a WW veteran. We walked to the grade school building and I saw two white statues: mother and daughter. The mother was the wife of the founder who died young. And the little girl was their daughter (the only sister of the current university president), who died at the age of three. But I still didn't accept the fact that I saw them as ghosts. At a very young age, I considered 'sleep walking' and imagination. I liked listening to radio dramas because my father was a voice actor and radio announcer, so I tend to imagine things. Now that I'm reading different stories on this site, it puzzles me.

Could it be that I just have a very active imagination? Or I really saw them before? I mean, the evil-like faces and the three ghosts?

When I started at the university, I took up Bachelor of Science in Psychology. There were times that at the moment of 'between sleep and waking up', I would see things that could be referred to as ghosts. I even saw a nun in the middle of the night on my way to the rest room when I was staying a a retreat house, but ignored it. Days later, after listening to my colleagues' experiences during the silent retreat, it was confirmed that what I saw wasn't a real person, but a ghost.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-12-26)
MysticFrance, it seems that whoever was in your flat, seemed to be a caring spirit. As it tried to give you comfort whenever you were feeling down. Was you not able to learn anymore details on who it may have been, after learning that other past tenants had also mentioned something being there? Was your reason for moving out the next year, because of feeling this presence? As for what you saw as a child, at the foot of your bed, aside children having over active imagination, I believe that there could have been something you were actually seeing, as you said it lasted up until your first day of high school. To me I would think you've gotten out of the stage, of having such an over active imagination by then. Unless you believe that you had a over active imagination growing up? But from what I do know, children have a higher tendency to be able to see spirits, that older people are unable to see. I have 3 kids myself, and 2 of them at a young age (starting from the age of 2) have both spoke often about seeing things that I could not, though I was able to feel a presence, but couldn't see them. I didn't believe that what they were telling me they were seeing, to be just their imagination. They would talk about what they saw, with such sincerity. My oldest being more afraid, or annoyed by them, verses my youngest being more curious. So to me, if you don't think that you had such an over active imagination as a child, that got the best of you a good bit, what you saw might have been something. But this is only my opinion. Only you would be able to know if you believe it was real or not. I understand not jumping to everything being paranormal, and trying to think logically about things, that's why I say only you can be the one to really know. I enjoyed reading your experience, and hope to hear back from you soon 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: