You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Presence At Dad's Apartment Building

Real Ghost Stories

The Presence At Dad's Apartment Building

 

In 1982 I was 14 years old. My Dad had just purchased an old apartment building that was built in the very early 1900s. There wasn't a significant amount of history to this building but I do know that it was built at another location and then moved to the current neighborhood it sits in by an old fashioned horse-drawn trailer.

Once papers were passed, my Dad went about the building making repairs and renovating rooms. One evening I had gone over to check out the building. Both my parents were there cleaning in one of the vacant first floor apartments. My Dad asked me if I would finish cleaning the kitchen cabinets while he walked around and introduced my Mom to the current tenants. I agreed and started scrubbing the cabinets with a sponge. They were coated by many layers of dirt and grease. I was thinking to myself that whoever had lived there really left a little to be desired in the cleaning department.

I continued to scrub away and then I got this feeling that I was being watched. I kept looking behind me. Nothing. The hairs on the back of my neck were starting to stand up. I continued to scrub the dirty cabinets. There was a small pantry behind me. All of the sudden I heard a creaking sound. I looked and the pantry door had opened by itself. I was starting to get a bit spooked and was really hoping my parents would get back there. The wind outside started to pick up as well and was shaking the storm windows. This effect was only fueling my growing fear of the place.

Suddenly I couldn't take the feeling of being watched anymore. I felt like someone was standing behind me, just glaring at me. I didn't feel welcome. I dropped the sponge into the bucket, climbed off the step stool I was on, and went out into the backyard. How was I going to explain this one to my parents?

Eventually my parents returned to the first floor apartment. They called to me to come back in. They of course wanted to know why I hadn't finished cleaning. I was trying to explain and then burst into tears. They both stared at me puzzled. "Come here..." my Dad said concerned. "Tell us what the matter is..."

I could not force myself to cross that threshold if my life depended on it. "I can't!" I cried. I would take a step forward and I just could not make myself go in there. Finally I returned to the backyard with my parents following me. When asked to explain, all I could say was, "something doesn't feel right..." I had no other explanation than that. I hadn't really seen anything besides the pantry door open but that could have been explained away by the wind causing a draft, right? My 14 year old mind was having a very hard time rationalizing all this.

When I had calmed down a bit, my Mom drove me home. A few days later my Dad and I talked about what had happened. He told me that the apartment I had been in had been occupied by the previous owner. The woman had died in that very apartment, and the apartment building went up for sale. She had also gone blind, which accounted for the apartment having many years worth of dirt and grease coating the cabinets. My Dad felt that maybe this woman was still in her apartment and did not realize she had passed. She maybe sensed/saw (I'm guessing) me in her apartment and thought I was intruding. I don't really know. I felt like whoever was there did not want me there.

While my Dad finished the renovations of the other apartments, he would sometimes feel like he was also being watched. A few times he would hear what sounded like coins dropping behind him only to find nothing of the sort there.

My Dad sold this building a year or two ago. As far as I know, nothing else has happened since that day almost 26 years ago. My sister lived there for a little while in the earlier part of this decade and I would sometimes stay with her when visiting back east. Neither she nor I ever experienced anything again there.

Perhaps in the beginning it was indeed the old lady watching us. I would like to think that once she realized that my Dad was there up keeping her old home that she was able to find peace and cross over. I will most likely never know.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-27)
This account seems genuine to me based on its simplicity. Thank you for sharing this account.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Some ghosts like to protect their own homes when they don't know that they have passed away. A blind spirit can still feel the aura that surrounds a living person. She may have picked up your aura and your father's aura,Jennifer.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-25)
Hi Jennifer40. I really enjoyed reading your story, thank you for sharing it with us. I think a lot of your experience had to do with your age, being 14 you were able to sense a lot more than your parents. I don't know about you but I get "spooked" a lot quicker by what I can't see vs. What I can see.
This story was a pleasure to read, thanks again.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed this. My Dad had his own experience when he was growing up. Maybe I'll get him to post his story at some point in the future. I think that's why he believed me.

I would like to think that the woman did cross over. I'm guessing that she didn't realize she was dead and when entering her kitchen saw this strange teenage girl in her house. I probably would have been ticked, too! The last time I was there, the building had a very different 'feel' to it so I'm sure her soul is at rest by now.

Jennifer ❤
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
This was very well written. I know this might sound mean, but I kind of liked the fact that you got so emotional about going in there. That brings more deeper feelings into it. I've always believed feelings are more important in hauntings than the hauntings themselves. That usually makes the story much better in my opinion. Thanks for sharing!

Trent
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Jennifer,
Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. The woman, at first, did not pass over and was trying to figure out what was happening to her home and her building. The more renovations and care your father and your family took in the buikding, the more she noticed the improvements and care.

As there were no further incidents, it does sound as if she crossed over to peace.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Hi Jennifer. I haven't heard from you for a long time! I realy enjoyed reading this story. I basically enjoy reading all of them 😁.It is a good thing that your father had an opened mind like Tammy suggested. I think its always easier for children to come up at talk with there parents. Thanks again for sharring a great story and I will be looking forward to reading others. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
It's a great pleasure Jennifer reading your stories! It's the way you set the scene of every story which makes your readers vicariously participate in your experience!

You were such a lucky child to have such an understanding and open-minded father. You are really fortunate!

I guess the old woman was most likely the one who was there feeling a bit irritated by the "intruders" in her home.

What a life to live deprived of her sight and in an old age. She must have lived there all alone as she was after death. Sad!

I hope she has managed to cross.

Tammy ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: