You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Day Spa Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

Day Spa Spirit

 

In the earlier part of this decade I worked as a Licensed Massage Therapist at a Day Spa in N. Phoenix. The Day Spa offered tanning, nail and skin care, and other run of the mill Spa amenities. It was housed in a very nondescript stucco strip mall that was probably fewer than 15 years old. One of the hairdressers kept complaining of getting ill there. She wanted the owners to check for asbestos. No one else was getting ill but her so the owners did not believe this to be an issue.

As it turns out, this lady thought that there was something else there besides asbestos. She believed the place to be haunted. The rest of us employees did not believe this at all. I have been in places --heck, I have lived in places-- that were haunted and have known pretty much from the get go that something was not right. This was not the case at the Day Spa.

A few weeks later this lady up and quit. She said she was getting too ill to stay. Before leaving she relayed a story to us about a trip she had taken to a psychic. The psychic told her that the Day Spa was located on what was sacred Indian ground. The psychic said that the spirit of an old Indian chief still remained in the building and he was very upset with the building being there. He didn't understand why it was there when it was clearly his land. He supposedly had a crush on one of the staff, a dark haired woman, but he didn't know how to get her attention. There were several of us working there with dark hair. I usually believe such tales but where I had not physical felt or experienced anything there I have to admit that I found this hard to believe. I had been there late at night by myself as well and never felt or experienced a single thing.

One morning soon after, I was sitting in my massage room sorting out my appointments for the day when I heard the small fountain I kept in there make a splashing noise. I got up to inspect and the water inside was moving. The fountain was not on. On the opposite side of the massage room was a Spray-On Tanning booth. The machine broke that morning and the inside was flooded with water. I helped the owner remove the water using buckets that we dumped into the sink in the restroom across the hall.

On a trip to dump the water in the restroom, I happened to glance up at the ceiling and see a fine mist billowing just above the door. I watched it for a few seconds. It appeared to be very vaporous in nature. At first I thought it may be coming from the Spray-On tan machine but the machine of course was broken. I looked away for a second and when I looked back it was gone. I scanned the ceiling area but there was nothing.

Later on in the day I had just finished up with a client and was heading to the sink to wash up. There was a woman collapsed and sweating on the floor. The owner of the salon was seated next to her with a cold compress on the woman's head. I asked what happened. Apparently the woman had gone in to a regular tanning bed and got very dizzy. She was headed to the restroom when she fainted in front of the restroom door. The place she collapsed? Right under where I saw the mist near the ceiling. The ambulance came and took her away.

The rest of the day passed without incident but I couldn't help but wonder if it really was that old Indian chief causing mischief to make himself known. Maybe the hairdresser wasn't as crazy as we all thought after all. I'll probably never know.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Hi Again Whitebuffalo, 😊
When the machine was working correctly there would sometimes be vapors that would come out from the top of the door. That's what I thought I was seeing at first. The sprayers cause the vapor and they were broken. A pipe had broken in it and was causing the booth to flood from the bottom. Also, no one else was affected by the spray as far as I know, and I worked the closest to the booth. The hairdresser worked in a separate section. In fact my massage therapy room had been a tanning room at one time. I don't think that tanning mixture was released as a result of this as that is also released from the sprayers and not the pipe where the water was coming from. If that were the case then everyone would have probably gotten sick and not just one person who had only been there for a total of 20 minutes or so. Anyways, you gave me something to think about.

Jennifer
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
I would have to agree with FRAWIN, Jennifer40. As Arizona, as well as the remainder of the United States was first the Land of The People, I would say that the psychic was completely accurate. I do not know about the Indian Chief, however. Was the Day Spa ever checked for escaping vapors from the Spray-On booth? As the machine had broken down, is it possible for some of it to have been released into the air in quantities too concentrated for the human respiratory system?
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hello Jennifer40. Thanks for another interesting story. I guess you could say the psychic was right-it was built on Indian land. After all the whole United States was built on Indian land 😉.Take care and I'm looking forward to your next story.

FRAWIN 😊
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi Rhodes68, ChrisB, and KimSouthO, 😉
I never did look into the history of the land. Although I was a bit sceptical of the account of the hairdresser at first, it may very well be on Indian ground. I know the land around here was occuppied by the Hohokam Indians years and years ago. Sometimes when I'm hiking I will still see ancient writing on the rocks called petroglyphs, so they definitely left their mark. The Day Spa is still in existence as far as I know, but under different ownership. I worked there for 2.5 years and that was the only strange thing that ever happened during my time there.
Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
I to would be very interested in any research or history in the land. Where there any experiences after this poor woman fainting? How much longer did you work there after this occurance? If the day spa stillo there? Sorry, just trying to fill in a few blanks,

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Good story Jennifer. I agree with Rhodes. You should try do reaserch about the land. Maybe there is a Chief ghost in the building? I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-20)
Hi again Jennifer and thanks for another interesting story.

Have you ever researched about the land where the spa was built on? It would be interesting to know if it was indeed Indian ground.

Well, who knows whether the psychic was correct;it sure sounds like an interesting theory 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: