You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: A Sudden Appearance in the Road

Real Ghost Stories

A Sudden Appearance in the Road

 

This episode occurred in South Carolina in a very rural (wooded) area called Poston, which is where I grew up. There are a lot of dirt roads in this area and a few sets of railroad tracks running through it, and we would get the occasional freight train rolling by.

One evening when I was about 11 years old, I was riding my bicycle to my Great-Grandmother's house. It was just getting dark outside, which is a bad time to be out near those woods alone, especially with the stories that were told about the weird things that people encounter in the night.

As I approached a small, fensed-in corn field on the left side of the dirt road, I suddenly noticed that a sort of mist started to form in the middle of the road near the corn field (my eyes are getting a little misty just thinking about that night). I continued to ride my bike and the closer I got to this mist in the road, the more it started to shape itself into a human form. I started thinking about all the stories I've heard about ghosts of folks long gone roaming these dirt roads at night.

I kept riding toward it with my mouth open, ready to let out a scream. And just as I was about to yell out, it vanished. By that time, I was almost close enough to touch whatever it was. But, it was gone. While I was at my great-grandmother's, I dreaded having to take that ride back home because by then it was really dark outside. But, I had to get back home so I plucked up some courage and rode my bike back down that road.

Luckily, I never saw the figure again. That was a very scary moment for me that I shall never forget.

Other hauntings by Laxe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laxe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Laxe (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Hal, I've just gotten around to seeing your reponse to my story. Yes, I would like to compare notes on Poston, SC (now Johnsonville). Me and your father may have actually attended school together, although, it would have to be during 1969 to 1970. That was when Johnsonville High School became integrated and 1970 was when I graduated. Contact me at my email address: vern_allison [at] hotmail.com.
hcreel (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
Laxe - I found your story while doing a search for Poston, SC. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My father was from Poston and his father owned the general store there. I am doing some preliminary research on a piece of fiction that I am writing based in Poston. Would love to compare notes...Hal
unkown12 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Something similiar happened to me on the road at one time it was a a big orange orb thing not a white mist that appeared out of no where and moved from the opposite side of the road to just a few feet in front of me and then it vanished I was just standing there for 2 mintues before I started walking again lol it was weird experience anyway thought I share that with everyone 😜
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
For some reason, roads are wonderful places to pick up on a residual haunting. I would like to hope, that should I become one of the long list of residual, I would be able to be someplace a bit more exciting, but then, I guess none of us really get to chose in a residual 😊.
I like the fact that you kept on with your journey. That showed quite a bit of character there.
Thank you.
Laxe (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
To answer your question, Flutterofwings, yes I have been back there, since I still have family and other relatives living there still. This was my home during my childhood and teen years, and I try to get back and visit every year or so. Even though I'm a lot older and wiser than I was back then, I still wouldn't want venture out near those woods at night. 😨
chelleck (3 stories) (56 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
WOW! You were a very brave child.

The only thing I have encounter of that nature was when my friend was driving us back to our home town after visiting another of her friends. When a shadowy figure walked across the highway in what looked like a trench coat and a brimmed hat. By the time she would have ran it over (because she was NOT going to stop for it) it vanished. We said nothing to one another for a few seconds, until I turned around to see if it was still there, but I saw nothing. She asked "did you see it too?" I said "yeah, what was that and where did it go?" She had already picked up a considerable amount of speed and said "I don't know, but I'm not sticking around to find out..."

We were adults. I do not know how I would have handled it, if I was a child and riding alone on a bike.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. ❤
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
Very well written story. I would like to thank you for sharing it with us. Have you ever been back to that part of the woods, since this happen to You?
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Laxe, you must have been terrified! --But good for you for facing your fear head on and riding back home. That is quite a feat for an 11 year old. You were very brave.

Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer ❤
Laxe (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Thanks for the input and the kind words guys, really appreciate it. Poston S.C., by the way, is now Johnsonville. It's located a few miles from the small town of Johnsonville itself. So, now it's become part of that town. The fact that it's in the woods hasn't changed, though. 😉
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Laxe,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

I have heard that wooded areas can be very active, with your mention of all of the stories regarding this area, it sounds to be the case here as well.

Have you ever noticed anything resembling what you saw that night again?

God Bless!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
I like this story. It is direct and to the point. I appreciate how you described the apparition as forming on the left side towards the corn field. This, to me, expresses an honest urge to relate your story simply and without pretense.

I buy it completely and hope you are richer for your experience that night.

Thank you for sharing.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Hi Laxe very interesting story. I wonder if you didn't come up that close then maybe it would have totally changed to a human form. But it is a good thing you didn't see it. I bet you wouldn't climb back on your bike to go home 😜.Try finding out stories that other people experienced. It sounds like Poston has a some ghost activity going on there. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soonand take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: