You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Moth Man Or Devil Bird?

Real Ghost Stories

Moth Man Or Devil Bird?

 

Has anyone out there ever experienced, or know of someone who has experienced, seeing a large, black, winged figure flying around and then having a close relative pass away after seeing this thing? There was a movie, based on true events, starring Richard Gere called "The Mothman Prophecies" that was about people who experienced seeing these creatures and then having something horrible happen afterwards. Well, my grandfather has, twice, seen one of these "Devil Birds" rise up out of the ground and fly off into the trees. And each time that he has seen one, a very close relative of his died within the next couple of days.

I didn't witness it, but the last time my granddad had seen one, I was in the house when I heard him yell to my brother to go get his shotgun. I came outside too late to see it and that was when he described it as a huge black creature, with wings, that came up out of the ground and flew "through" the trees. It looked like it should have been too big and would collide with the trees, but it basically flew into the trees and vanished. A couple of days later, we found our granddad in the back yard crying uncontrollably. He had just found out that a relative he was very close to had died unexpectedly.

Several years later, when I was in the military, I related this story to some friends and asked if any of them had a similar experience. One guy in the group mentioned that when he was a kid, he and some other kids were watching a TV program about the handicapped. Being ignorant kids, they spent a lot of time laughing at the people who had these various afflictions. After the program ended, they decided to go outside to play. By that time it was dark outside. While they were standing around talking, he said he heard the flapping of wings and looked up to see this giant black bird-looking thing flying above them. It scared them so bad that they all ran back inside. I asked him if anything happened in his family after seeing this creature. He said that his grandmother had died soon afterwards. I guess that seeing one of those mothmen, or whatever they are, is an omen suggesting that something bad will occur. I hope to never experience it.

Check out this link about the mothman.

Other hauntings by Laxe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laxe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
Hi great story they say moth man appears before something terrible happens
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Ok in my experience these things are so freaking evil. If this is the same thing I'm thinking about. What I've seen is what looks like a very tall 8'ft tall shadow person with big wings on its back. It wasn't a death omen for me when I saw it, but I knew in my heart it was attracted to chaos, sadness, death, destruction and a whole bunch of negative type of emotions. I've only seen it twice. The first time was in a dream, but it was more like an OBE which I do get sometimes. In my dream I sat up in bed and there were big mirror/closet doors in my bedroom facing the bed. I saw this entity inside of the mirror and it radiated pure negativity and it stepped out of the mirror walked up to me and went in my body. I physically felt the weird sensation of it being in me. Then within a couple of days my life went to chaos and I hit one of the worse depressions I've ever had in my life. (I think it was trying to make my life as unbearable as possible.) I just prayed and my life straightened itself out and got better.
The second time I saw one was when I was traveling in a car at night. I saw it flying around and it seemed to be looking at me, but the place that I saw it has a very bad reputation for head-on collisions and has had many fatalities over the years. I might write a story about some of the crazy things I've seen on this stretch of highway at a later time. Anyways if you see one of these things pray or do whatever you feel will make you protected. Sorry my experience has been terrible with these things.

--Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
Saranne (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-25)
Hi there -

When my Gran was really sick, she woke up one night to see a bird like figure at the end of her bed, staring at her. It was really tall and black with wings and was rubbing its clawlike hands together. She was so scared that she couldn't even call out to my auntie who was sleeping in the same room or reach over and turn on the light. Eventually the creature disappeared but it really freaked my Gran out. Two days later my Gran died.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
ok? I already seen that. But still doesn't sound much like what you wrote about.
Laxe (6 stories) (10 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
In case no one noticed, there is a link to a website at the bottom of my story that tells about the sighting of a mothman at Point Pleasant, West Virginia.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
freaky_deaky, your right this is not the mothman people talk about, I do know what these are through their names not poping up in my mind. I'll write if I remember what tese are called.
freaky_deaky (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
Just today we read a story about mothman at school. The description in the story isn't like your description though. In the story it was about 2 meters tall, brown, had a wing-span of 3 meters, glowing red eyes, human like and it flew with flapping or moving its wings. It sounds like some kind of warning, like seeing a black cat or something.
crystal8495 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
I have never seen one of those before. I'll ask my mom she goes through a lot of freaky stuff then I'll have her see how she can help. 😆
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
ok the mothman Is not the case. I Would have to say its deaths warning. Those who always see them seems to have some one they know die, so its a warning that some one will die. The weard thing is that I did hear a case that some one found a place that they roamed. (not saying who or where it is for safty for people who would risk their lives to see) I never checked but I do know where it is.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: