You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Road

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Road

 

My house was located near an old two lane highway just outside the city limits of a town named Elizabethton. This area was settled in the late 1760's, its historical notability is among the most fascinating in the entire state. Its home of the first permanent settlement outside the original 13 colonies so it's bound to have a lot of history.

To be more precise in the description of our home, we settled in a small 3 bedroom home off of a one lane road originally made for logging trails. I've also heard these roads called "Ridge Runners" which were built by moonshiners so I'm not sure what its original purpose for this road was used for. (I'd like to add that moonshining is still prevalent in this area today." In addition, this is an old neighborhood where mostly senior citizens live so the nights stay very quiet apart from the tree frogs, crickets and a few neighborhood dogs that bark at raccoons or other stray animals that dare venture into their domain. We shared only one street lamp down the road so besides the tranquility of the quiet country life, unless there was a full moon, it was so dark that you could practically cut it with a knife. Up behind us was another one lane road with a few old homes and behind and above that road consists of woods mixed in with some farm land.

When we first moved to the area back in the mid 90's, we were told some creepy stories that I presumed to be nothing more than old southern folklore. I didn't put much more thought into it other than just that... Until later.

We weren't there even a year when we experienced our first paranormal experience. My older daughter came running into my room late one night and told me she had heard something strange and thought someone was standing outside her bedroom window. She said she was almost asleep when she heard something tapping on her end of the house and then the window. As I explained earlier, this was an old neighborhood so the likelihood of it being some teenage kid messing around was very small. Her bedroom light was off so we crept over to her window and after adjusting our eyes to the darkness, we could see something tall, dark and slender standing about 7 feet from the window. It appeared to be a man but then, a little too tall and lanky to be a person. We stood there whispering to each other because we couldn't remember if there was a tree outside her room or not. The moon shed just enough light so that we could see something but couldn't tell if it was someone or some "thing" standing outside her bedroom window. My husband noticed that I wasn't in bed and got up to see where I was. He turned the hall light on, I motioned for him to turn it off. Once he turned it off, and we looked back in the spot, it was completely gone. No sign of anything standing there, not even a bush or a small tree. We were both freaked out and of course my husband just made a joke of it and summed it up to us girls and our wild imagination.

About a year later we were asked to move out of that house so that the landlord's brother and family could move in because he had been out of work for quite some time and could no longer afford to pay rent somewhere else. My parents had bought 5 acres of land about a mile up the road from us. They had a house built on top of the land/hill and were just waiting for my dad to retire in 6 months. We told them our situation so they gave me 2 acres of their land to move on. We stayed in their new home while we had a modular home put on the land they gave me.

About 6 months after we were settled in our new home, one evening I heard someone beating on the back door. We ran to the door to find my daughter's boyfriend (who eventually became her husband). I opened the door and he was white as a ghost, I had him come inside of course. He stood there pale as a sheet and shaking. He said as he was driving on our road, right about at the road where he used to turn off to go to our old house, he saw this tall, slender thing with stringy hair, no face. He said it was walking on the same side of the road that he was driving and appeared to be walking toward him at first, but then it looked as if his arms and body were walking one direction, but his head was facing him. He said it did not have a face! Just the head, long black stringy hair facing him yet the rest of his body was walking and facing the other direction!

Fast forward about 10 years. I had been over to my daughter and son-n-law's new house. I took my little Jack Russell. I was driving my Honda Element and had my dog, Milo in his cage just behind me. We were on our way back to our house on the same road. I was on the phone talking to my younger daughter telling her that we were almost home when about a half mile from the old road cutoff, something that looked like what a "Werewolf" would look like if there was such a thing, ran right out in front of me on its hind legs! The only thing was, he was somewhat transparent but just slightly. I was able to see every detail. It was like something you would see in an old sci-fi movie! It looked right at me! I screamed and knew there was no way of missing it! I braced myself for impact. He looked right in my eyes! It looked straight evil! My dog went crazy and my daughter was yelling at me thinking I was in an accident! Whatever it was, went right through my car! I made my daughter come outside and meet me while I got Milo out of the car and into the house. To this day, I will not drive down that road at night.

I don't know if any of these things are related but I do know there is something about that road and area that really creeps me out and I hate even going to that area in the daytime.

Thanks for reading

Enlightened1959

Other hauntings by Enlightened1959

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Enlightened1959, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-09-25)
Jubeele,

I have also heard of doing that. I'm wondering now how much my family could have avoided if we had been removing our shoes and washing our feet after coming home all those years. I would be willing to do this but I doubt that anyone else in my home would. 😉
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-23)
I've heard of haunted roads back in Singapore, where hapless travelers get trapped for hours driving around in circles, going nowhere.
My parents always insisted we remove our shoes when we get home and rinse off our feet. They said it was to wash away our trail so unclean spirits can't find us to cause mischief.
Now that I live in Australia, I still follow this custom. I wash my feet the minute I get home and go barefoot. Not sure if this really works, but we have lived at our current address undisturbed for over 16 years (apart from the occasional noisy human neighbors). It sure keeps the carpet clean for longer and I don't have to vacuum every day!
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-09-20)
SleepyOwl-

Thank you for your thoughts! Very interesting theory and I will look up Gadinka when I get off this site. I don't know what the thing on the road was that my son-n-law saw or the wolf like thing that ran out in front of me or the tall figure standing outside my daughter's bedroom window but I know they weren't anything of the natural world. This world is very strange. I don't understand how some people cam go their entire lifetime without experiencing anything at all yet others have witnessed seeing so many. I think I'd rather NOT see things than see them. Lol
SleepyOwl (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-15)
What you're talking about is called Gadinka here in Bulgaria it usually apears on a road. Old folks here tell many stories of how when they were young their parents usually when coming back from the fields very late and already dark would sometimes see them they might resemble a person or something completely scary and out of this world. But it's not known to hurt anyone, well except give you a heart attack.
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Ah! Skinwalker!
That is something different then what I have commented but certainly there are lots of legends and stories about that, maybe you have your answer already?

E.Lynx
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Hello Melda, Thank you for your thoughts on this. Yes, I agree with you regarding ghosts verses this type thing. The wolf on its hind legs was somewhat transparent but very real and went right through my vehicle. I was afraid that it was still in there with me and my dog. It scared me enough that I will never drive that road at night again and I will never forget it. However what my son-n-law described, was not at all transparent and very real but no explanation of what it was either. I do know he was telling me the truth due to his pale face and shaking. I don't know what that was either but after reading Roylnx post, I think he may be on to something regarding the "elemental spirits and maybe Zaruje's idea about the slender man is accurate. We will probably never know what these things were but I really rather just have to deal with things that go "bump" in the night
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Roylynx,

Thank you for your thoughts as well. I haven't read about "Elemental Spirits" but this is certainly something to consider. After reading your comments, I looked up Navajo Legends and it took me to "Skinwalker". Is this what you are referring to? I'm going to read more about this and the little I read, this possibly sounds like what my son-n-law saw and what I saw.

Thanks again!
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Zaruje, thanks for your comment. Back when this happened I had never heard of the "Slender Man", but that is an idea. I thought the slender man was an actual skinny man with a top hat. This looked like something made up of tree... Or something... We will never know if it was our imagination or if something like that really exists. I hope to never look out a window and see anything resembling that again and have to question what I'm seeing. We have moved across town about 4 miles from that old house which I still own and rent out and as I mentioned before, I will not drive down that road at night ever again.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-04)
Your story reminded me of a fictional character (slender man). It sounds like the slender man visited your daughter 😆
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-09-03)
Hmm, Haunted road... Well I have information on some native people believing that everything, object and living things belongs to an element, like earth, water, fire, wind (air). Which in this case I guess, it could be an earth elemental spirit/spirits.

I am not sure really, but elemental spirits are very different from any other spirits and they are very powerful in most cases. Yes, they live out in nature and not cities with tall buildings.

E.Lynx
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-03)
Enlightened - Normal ghosts are one thing but weird beings such as you explain, well I think I'd have a huge problem with that too 😨

I've never encountered anything resembling either of those entities but I hope some of the other posters have some idea of what they might be.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: