You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Missing Doll

Real Ghost Stories

The Missing Doll

 

I was living in New Jersey, admittedly quite young, when I dreamt about the doll. It was one of those soft bodied dolls that was common for children in the early 60's, with a smiling ceramic face and a soft plush body. It was also one of my very favorites, and I carried it everywhere like Linus carries his blanket.

In my dream, I was standing on a cement bridge, watching the current of a swift-moving river zipping quickly under my feet. Suddenly I saw my favorite doll, face up in the water, being dragged through the water far below my feet! I looked around quickly to see if there was anyone I recognized but the streets were full of indifferent strangers!

So I raced across the road to peer off the other side of the bridge and here came my dolly, still face-up, practically imploring me to save it from the waterfall looming ahead! When it crashed over the side, tumbling in a volley of other dolls, and styrofoam cups and detritus from other observers, I woke with a start.

Sitting up in bed, I wondered if my doll were really missing. Had it really gone over the edge of a big waterfall? I looked for it in vain. Under the bed, in the closet, smashed in the blankets or under some toys.

To this day, 45 years later, I have never seen it again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VinceIuliano, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Releeshan (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-03)
it was removed out of love more over compassionate concern, Was going to suggest you ask your mother but I feel she has passed.
If not ask her.
seesomeghosts (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-02)
that's WEIRD! I had that happen to me just a couple months ago. I dreampt that I was taking my remote controlled truck (runs on gas) and selling it to a store. The next morning, it was gone! I didn't even have the cash I got 😢
bardsidhe (38 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
HHMM... I too have had a similar thing happen to me, only it was a Swiss Army Knife (not exactly like McGyvers)
This was a gift from a Friend of my Fathers, it was an Officers Knife, so was not the cliche red. This knife was put away by my mother, when I got it, (I was 12)
several Months later I had a dream about it I dreamt of where my Mum put it and looked in the draw to get it for my dad who was going to skin a rabbit. Only it was gone.
when I woke the next morning I asked my mum about it and she went to get it, sure enough, it was gone.

I am now 37, and my Parent's still have the same house, and my mother has never found it. Mum and Dad had planned to keep it until I was 18 and present it as a gift, it's never shown up.
AkatsukiDeidara101 (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
I once dreamed that my Nintendo DS Lite had gotten thrown out of the door. Something had thrown it, but I couldn't tell what. I went outside to try and find it, but then I woke up. I spent the whole day looking for it. Then that night I had a dream next to the computer. The next day, I checked if it was next to it, IT WAS! That was very odd. The previous day I spent like half an hour near the computer trying to find it 😐 😐 😐
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
I like this story. I think this happens a lot in life... There is some kind of karmic exchange that goes on which sometimes we are aware of and sometimes not. Certainly in healing you are able to take on the illness or affliction the person you are healing has been stricken with. What's to say some mischevious spirits don't make little exchanges without the other side's permission too?
againsarahan (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Now this is different! I've never heard anything quite like it before. I'll add to the brainstorming: what if the dream was an unconscious clairvoyent confession from a guilt-ridden thief?
(Little friends do odd things when motivated by envy or anger... One of my best friends when I was in about 4th grade swiped or found my favorite troll doll. It had unusually long soft gray hair tipped with almost-black deeper gray. I remember feeling very odd when she told me she'd found it in mud, with icky stuff tangling it's hair, neccesitating a haircut. Told me this like she would tell a story. Still have the troll doll, but with short hair.) Or, if you are male, was there a family member uncomfortable enough with your attachment to a doll to make away with it, (no doubt in their mind "for your own good")? If I ever did that to a kid I'm pretty sure I'd feel quilty enough to communicate the fact somehow.
I am glad you got published. Thanks!
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
The same thing happened to me when I was little! Except... It wasn't a doll. I'm 18 now, and I was about 9 then, and I had that Veterinarian Barbie, the one that came with a medical kit and a plastic dog and cat? Well I had a nightmare that my plastic cat ran away because it felt neglected (stupid, I know- but I'm a dog lover at heart), and as it was walking out of my room that night robot-like, it turned to me with red, angry eyes. I was so scared, but I thought nothing of it until that afternoon when I was playing with my Barbies and realized that the cat was no longer in my closet. I searched all over the house, outside, I even went through the trash, followed by a very thorough search when we moved out- nothing. To this day I have never been able to find that cat. I had played with it briefly (and put it away in the box with all of my other Barbies, etc.) the night before the dream.
Twilightkiss (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Thats creepy. Come to think of it, I never found my porciline doll since I had a dream that it walked out my front door...
Oh well, it was creepy anyway.
Good story, hope you find it some day!

Twilightkiss ❤
VinceIuliano (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
tough crowd.

ok Hawkgirl, I agree. Neither are shadow people stories GHOST stories. But they do fall in the arena of the paranormal. I hope you were as critical with the 30 other DOLL stories on this website.:)
KimSouth, you can have a negative opinion without hurting my feelings. Like it, hate it, its all good. Its a TRUE story, certainly you could criticize it as more of an anecdote and less of a story.
i did NOT create it from whole cloth, and despite the kind Abercrombie's great pains to let me off the hook with less of a beating, and explain how it may have been a psychological event or somehow someone removed the missing item, this is just one of those things I (nor anyone close to me) could ever explain.
if you have children you know that you don't discard their favorite sleepy time doll, no matter how ragged or ratty it becomes (and this was practically new).
Velvet and Tonith came closer to an appreciation of what it was I think than most people do (thanks to all who participated but especially you two).
Its not an earth -shaking story - certainly as a ghosthunter and free lance writer, I've written better... But I thought I'd wet my feet here with a little TRUE throwaway that really happened, and let the chips fall where they may.
I didn't for a moment think that Martin would actually publish it, and I'm grateful that he did 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, I think I will refrain from comment on this one.

God Bless!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Sometimes physical things seem to pass into another dimension. Most of the time we find what was missing even if it's years later. Other times there is no logical explanation as to why it's missing. Do portholes open? I don't know. But at least it would be some kind of theory to this mysterious event.
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
I really loved your story. Its very odd how the doll went missing right after the dream. I have had that happen to me, there have been times when I dream something and a day or two later the same thing happens but in a different way. Thanks for sharing. However even though it is not a ghost story, its still very creepy and it was enjoyable.
Abercrombie (2 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
I think this more of a pshychologically thrilling event you have published. HawkGirl, your comment was, frankly, very rough. There is a gentler way of saying everything, and so I shall. Vince, I think that maybe something could've happened to your doll, something you didn't know about. You mysteriously lost this doll, and had no idea. Someone took it from you, and you never realized until you began to search. I think in your conscience you knew it went missing, but couldn't really grasp that as a thought for a long time. Maybe this dream finally brought your knowledge into a thought in your sleep, and in order to realize this, your mind played it out for you.
Hawkgirl (6 stories) (55 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
I don't really see the "ghost story" part here... If a ghostly presence used the doll to make clear there are beings of another realm near you it would be a ghost encounter for me. Bottom line, I don't think yours is a ghost story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: