You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Urban Legend Or Prank?

Real Ghost Stories

Urban Legend Or Prank?

 

Warning: You may want to read this in the morning, but whatever, it's up to you, because this may be supernatural or may not be...

Have you guys heard of the urban legend "the babysitter"?

Well after reading that starting sentence, you're all going to go "oh this story is such bull."

Well believe what you believe, because this event had effected both me and my cousin.

(My hands sort of shakes when I write this)

It started Saturday (07/06/08). Instead of babysitting we were house sitting my grandma's house because everyone went off to a "Timorese Party" (its soo boring - its fun when you're a kid, cause you get to run around, but when you're older...yeah) anyways, we didn't mind. Besides, my Grandma and uncle, aunty and baby cousin would be home by 10:00pm because obviously my Grandma doesn't like to stay out late; also they had Foxtel (To you Americans - Cable T.V) which was great because we were watching a variety of shows to keep us entertained.

It was around 7:00pm when the phone rang, I went to go pick it up; No answer, saying out loud "Damn prankers." - "Who was that?" my cousin asked. "No one" I replied. So I decided to go make dinner (instant noodles YUUM!). While eating dinner the phone rang. As I placed my plate down on the table and walked towards the phone it stopped ringing. I sighed and went back to eating my dinner and watching T.V. It was around 8:00pm we started getting bored. "You should have brought your Wii!" My cousin said - "You should have brought your 360," I said back with sarcasm. After sitting on the couch with nothing to watch for like 30 minutes FINALLY something good comes on. So sitting there talking and watching T.V., the phone rings again, as I got up I stated; "I swear to God if this is another prank I'm going to freaken track down the number" - I picked up the phone "Hello?!" - No Answer, then breathing "oh my god..." I said in frustration -"What?" my cousin asked - So I started making sex noises - you know to prank back the pranker, I guess - they hung up.

As I was about to sit down the phone rang "arrrggh!" My cousin started laughing - I picked up the phone (hysterical laughter was on the other line) so I laughed back but with the Krusty the clown laugh... After a few seconds I remembered about the urban legend. I hung up the phone and walked over to my cousin "I think Yu ngin ga ho vue-kah" (I think there's someone in the house) "What?" my cousin said with laughter in his reply - Gao tung ngai" (just play along with me) I said with a serious voice and look "Nyi jing-sik heimor?" (You're serious aren't you?) replied a very worried cousin.

"Ahh damn, I got no more smokes - I'm going to drive to the shops, I'll be back later or do you want to come to?" I said, sort of loudly (I don't smoke by the way).

"Hahaha! Nah I'll come too, I want to buy some starbursts," replied my cousin, who was just eager to get out of the damn house...

As we went out and locked the door, we heard a thump from inside. We both quickly ran to my car. I sort of had trouble putting the keys in the ignition due to fear. I finally got it in, turned on the car and floored it. As we were at the shops my cousin asked me if we should call the cops and call our uncle. I replied saying that it may just be our imagination and we should just go back but not go inside the house.

So we drove back to the house. "Did you turn on the light upstairs?" I said with my heart pounding really fast like it was going to bust out.

"No... But doesn't Den (my 4 year old cousins' name but I shortened it - you know, privacy) have an auto nightlight?" my cousin replied back, but I could tell he was getting freaked out as much as I was.

"Oh yeah..." as I was about to unlock the car - "WAIT!" my cousin shouted. "Start the damn car and get of here!" Without questioning I started the car again and headed to my cousins house. While driving there I asked him what he saw. He said he saw a person's figure going pass the window. When I heard that it sent chills down my spine; I have never been so afraid.

So I stopped the car and I decided to call the operator. I asked if any outgoing calls have been made from the phone. She said "no" so I asked, has any incoming calls been made to my grandmas phone number? She asked for a timeframe - I said from 7pm-9pm. She said "no, no calls have been made to the requested number." I said, "are you sure? Because I've had a series of prank calls" - she apologised and said no again and repeated the number I told her. I said thanks and hung up.

It was around 10:10pm and I realised that my grandma was going to be home soon. I got a call from my mum. "Your grandma is going to be home at 11 so you and Kenneth (not my cousins real name) can go to his house if you want."

"Mum, I think there's someone in grandma's house."

"What?"

"Don't ask, but someone keeps pranking us and when we left the house and locked the door, me and Kenneth both heard a 'thump' and we ran to the car."

"Don't be stupid. How can anyone get in the house?"

"I DON'T KNOW!"

I hear my mum talking to my uncle about what I just told her.

"Hello?" (my uncle now)

I told him what I told my mum

"Call the police, we'll be home real soon"

"But I'm not in the house!"

"Where are you?"

"Outside of Kenneth's house."

"Well stay there and after 30 minutes, drive to grandma's house."

So not waiting 15 minutes I drove to my grandma's house but I didn't park in front of her house. I parked at the second house in front of her house. Anyways, the nightlight was still on and I saw what my cousin saw before. At that point I was about to cry - (I was thinking that whoever it is, would just jump next to my car - you get the point). I called the police and they said they'll be there within 30 - 40 minutes and to keep calm and keep a good distance from the house. So waiting in the car for what seemed like hours, my uncle arrived. I beeped at him. He stopped his car in front of mine. We got out and I was so relieved. We talked. I told him that I called the operator and she said that there were no incoming calls, and that I saw a persons figure go across Den's window.

The cops finally arrived - like 5 of them. 1 was outside talking with me and my cousin and the other 4 went inside the house. After waiting they all came out.

"Did any of you leave the window opened?" asked one of the cops.

Everyone said no and my uncle said which room had the window opened. The cop described the room and it was my aunt's room, so my uncle called his little sister asking if she had left her window opened. He hung up and said that she said she doesn't know.

The cop then said that, they can't do anything about it and that it could have just been a prank, but if anything out of the ordinary happens, then immediately call the police (duh).

As they were about to go I told them to wait. I told them about the call I made to the operator, and they said it's impossible for a call not to show up. I said, well I've been getting prank calls and that when I called they said that no incoming calls have been made to my Grandma's house. The cop looked worried and suspicious and decided to call the phone company. They said exactly the same thing, and they decided to do a second search around my grandma's house, backyard - everywhere. They came out with a piece of eaten bun and I thought to myself... Wow, searching must be hard work.

They asked if I dropped this under the table. I said that we didn't even eat that. We had noodles. EVERYONE looked worried and I was so scared.

The cops decided to put my grandma's house under constant surveillance.

After a few days, nothing has happened. So what was it? A sick prank? Supernatural? Or some sick psycho decided to reinact an urban legend? - I might think it was supernatural, since if it wasn't supernatural there would be a trace of the incoming calls right?

God... After this, I have not been able to stay home alone.

Other hauntings by ominousnyxx

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ominousnyxx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Thomas98 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
Wow that's really scary! It's kind of funny about the bun though:). But when you saw someone walk past the window that would be scary! All the best. Thomas98
Kingfishahh (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
Holy Shitaki's. This is an awesome story, you have intense skill for writing...
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Well I kind of though how would the urban legand be passed on in a way that is true and my dad used ot be a linesman so I know how to use a Linesman phone.

My thoughts were robber not psycho but hey you never know. Suspect could have laid in wait for a long time hence the food supply *bun*

Anyhow just my brain spinning its gears,

~Shadead.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Shadead: Mate that's some very sneaky info you just let on to, most people would never think of I like that but great way of looking at it.

Good effort mate.

Dan
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Now to Debunk the paranormal aspect:

Sounds like a bored teenager wanting to scare someone, Any Fool with the net can learn to lock pick for a start.

From there Break into the house with minimal effort while you were busy ect would have scoped the house for a while and find out.

From there position themselves in the roof ect to get access to the telecom Lines in the house (Austrailian here I know where a phone lines connect) and from there tap into it with this gizmo its called Linesman Phone avaliable off Ebay for $30 including postage and from there patched themselves into your phones. They leave no trace but check your telecom wires in your roof for wire stripping or marks.

Heres where I get smart, The person would then use the linesman phone to test the phone in the house and prank you from the roof ect and then once hearing you leave move from there site to escape the thump as you left would be getting out of the man hole in the roof or the window opening in the room.

My advice guard dog is a start but protect your house will electric locking system with an alarm and basic CCTV monitor setup and presto you go from basic house to secured lock box in less that $1000.

Not Paranormal
Possible Stalker or Robber or Prankster.

Keep safe and Linesman phones leave no record.

~Shadead
clo-clo (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-05)
i would say supernatural but then what kind of ghost likes to leave half eaten buns laying around? Strange. Keep us updated
VanLe (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-14)
Whoa, if that was me I would have been so scared I would have wanted to die. What's the baby sitter's legend?
xXClaireBearXx (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-19)
Holy Crap! This is one freaky story. I would say it's the paranormal. What else could explain the absense of any call history. Maybe it was a ghost trying to reenact the urban ledgend. Could it be possible that that was the way the ghost had been killed.
That was very smart, to get out of the house like that

Xx ClaireBear
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
The Bun thing I don't know lol, but I guess the cop considered it because obviously, this is a serious felony & they were asking every possible question and stuff, nothing out of the ordinary has happened yet, my uncle did get a dog. Soo yeah.

I'm thinking that it's paranormal because as I said, the caller ID should have shown when I called the phone company, but it didn't =/.

I don't really care anymore, I'm over it and I'm thankful it's over and even more thankful that it hasn't happened again.

Because of this event, I've developed a fear of looking out the window, day or night, I tend to look away. - Because of the shadow of a human walking pass the window when I saw it from outside... I keep thinking that I'll see someone walking pass my bedroom window or any window at night...

AHHH OMG I'M FREAKING MYSELF OUT! ><
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Hi omniousnyxx. Okay, about the calling on the same phone line, well my daughter and I used to prank each other that way. I would call the number to the house on the phone that the number belonged to, then right before it starts ringing you hang it up and then when you hear the person pick up the phone in the other room you pick up the phone real quick. It works, believe me, I've done it. Now, if someone was calling from your Aunt's number to your Grandma's number or vice versa, than it would show as an incoming call from an outside party because of the numbers being from different lines. Did one of your friends know that you two were going to be alone that night? Maybe they were trying to pull a prank and scare you. However, I doubt that they would have stayed in the house after you ran out and they probably would have told you by now that it was just a joke. Or maybe not. Anyway, I also think that it is possible that someone could have entered through your Aunt's bedroom window but I think if it were a real intruder out to hurt you they probably wouldn't have stayed in the house after you left. Was anything missing from the house? Could have been a thief BUT then again, usually people break into houses during the day when everyone is at work or school. Plus, they wouldn't have stayed in the house any long length of time like you said they did so that they wouldn't get caught. They would come in, do their deed and leave not stick around. It just may have been something paranormal. Has anything happened in that house before? There are a few things that don't really add up in this story though, mainly the cop coming out with a bun that has a bite taken out of it and asking you if you dropped it. Why would a cop pick up a bun from underneath the table and come out and ask you if you dropped it? A cop wouldn't even look twice at it. They would just assume that someone dropped it and it rolled underneath the table and not think twice about it. Come on. This is either a true account and the operater and the cops were a little on the dumb side or this story is just that, a story. Good one though.:) It may always remain a mystery.

SHELBY ❤ 😊 🤔
Stacers (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
you poor thing if something like that would have happened to me I think I would have had to been locked up for the rest of my life. Lucky not to be complete whack job now.
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-12)
The version I always heard was that when she called the police, they said they were going to check the phone records and get right back to her. When they called back they informed her that the calls had been coming from inside the house, and to get out as fast as she could. The police arrived and found the guy hiding underneath one of the children's beds.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-09)
Response Mr.Question:
Lol, it wasn't noodles it was a bun - a previous post of mine will explain that.

The babysitter urban legend was about a girl who was baby sitting two kids, she then got a series of prank calls and was being abused the babysitter than called the police, the prank caller than said that he's inside the house and can see her.

She got freaked out only to find the children dead, when she ran down stairs she heard someone coming down the stairs aswell, she ran outside the door and screamed and bumped into a police officer, the killer than saw the cop ran back, but was shot at thus immobilising him. He was arrested.

There are other variations to the story, like the pranker was one of the children or there was more than 1 babysitter - The story with the 2 babysitter was more gruesome, it was told that the other babysitter came to her friend with her arm chopped off and bleeding to death saying that someone was in the house.
Carrotred (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
They can posseses stronger sould. They trick you, forcing you to believe they are an angel or even sometimes God. Thats why you always gotta be carefull.

All the best - Carrotred
Mr_Question (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
soooo what's the urban legend? And why was everyone worried when there was noddles under the table please tell bout the legend bout the babysister

Mr Question
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-24)
Lol Thanks Carrotred.
Someone clarify this for me cause I heard that;

Demons can only possess weak/willing souls.
Those who are stronger and willing to dispel evil and live for their life are harder for demons to take possession of.

True or False?
Carrotred (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
I don't mean to scare you more. But demons can do things worse then death. Possession for example. I'm sure you will be fine though.:)

All the best - Carrotred
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
I just hope it was a prank... Can you imagine if it was real? Like there was an actual killer in the house with us... Oh my god...

I have got to stop thinking like this or else I won't be able to get over it. 😨
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Hmmm, I think that it could have been the legend, but I also think it could be a prank. Well whatever it is I'm glad nobody was hurt, mabey a little hungry but not hurt 😜. And so you know the people on this site are very open minded about hauntings so we wouldn't think that your lying! 😊.
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
I'm starting to hope that it's all in my mind... But I just can't... I saw a person's figure go pass the window... How can anyone get over that?

Seriously, hope it's supernatural, I know they can harm... But atleast they can't kill (or can they? O.o)
Carrotred (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
I'm no professional but what I do know that it would be VERY rare for you to be physically harmed from a ghost. Although if it was a demon you was very right to have left the house! But if it was a demon it would have made its pressence know, likd physically harmed you. Its natural to be afraid. But if its so bad your scared of being home alone. Simply say "In Jesus's name Get out of this house" or just pray. During my times of fear I pray and it seems to mostly work, although to be honest I have never asked a spirit to go.

But to your main point. I'm 40% sure its supernatural. Unless its a really dumb physco who left his bun on the floor 😕

All the best - Carrotred
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
Thanks for the comments, I just hope, hope it was a prank or even supernatural. If it was real... I'd probably end up having a phobia of being alone in a house or any area...

Chrono, you said I was brave, I WAS NOT BRAVE AT ALL. I was soo scared for my life, but I knew that if I didn't do anything, then I wouldn't have one, but I was really, really scared

update: my uncle bought a guard dog... Cute but almost bit me... TT"
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
First of all... I just want to say thank you for scaring the SHlT out of me. I recieved a phonecall while reading the story. Luckily it was my friend and not a private number or anything like that. That sounds like a serious occurance, but as long as no one was threatened or hurt then you should consider yourself lucky, and thanks again. My phone just rang once more. Hahaha. Great story though and thanks for sharing

Trent
Hunters (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Dear ominousnyxx,
OKay that is so scary I have no I dea but I don't think that that was a prank call since you and your cousin saw shadows or figures
Personally, Hunters
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
quite a story. I really don't know what to think. Maybe it was a prank, but the cops would have found footprints or some finger prints or something. Or it could be supernatural, I really don't know

I hope you have more experiences, or something that will piont to a prank or paranormal. 😊
themexican (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
"SASKE" that's scary man. 😢 emigo did it ever accore to you that you could'a been in the house with a syiko that likes to haunt people and can you tell the real urban leigond about what that thing dose to you if you stay in the house with it. 😨 warmest regarts

the mexican
vaminouse 😭
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
Well, urban legend or not, it sounds like you had quite a horrible experience! You did good to get the heck outta there. Has anything supernatural ever happened before this?
Great story though with nice details. 😊
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
Ooooo, spooky!
What a great story, I have NO idea what I would do if that happened too me...
You're brave! Good on ya,;)
shada (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
Yikes, whether its a haunting, person or just random circumstance, that is freaky. Very good thing that you and your cousin got out of there and called the police (better safe then sorry). Hopefully it was just a prank. Keep us informed.
matticus (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
i don't understand why you say bout reading it in the morning?
but whoa that's freaky and well wonder what woulda happened if you stayed.
god bless

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: