You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Frozen In Fear

Real Ghost Stories

Frozen In Fear

 

When I was little (around five or six) I had my first encounter with the paranormal. The incident is a little foggy in my mind since it happened over a decade ago, but I'll do my best to recall.

I remember waking up some time in the night and I wasn't able to move; except for my eyes. I was lying on my side facing a wall, with my back to the door. The house was completely silent, which meant my two older sisters and my parents were all asleep. For the first couple minutes I tried my hardest to get up, but was faced with repeated failure.

In this situation I tried to do what any reasonable child would do. I tried yelling for my mom, but my mouth wouldn't budge. I was scared at this point and very curious. I remember thinking what's going on? So I stared at my white wall, unable to move, until I fell back asleep.

I woke up the next morning perfectly fine, everything was back to normal. I dismissed the whole occurrence as a bad dream and didn't give it a second thought.

Around ten years passed until the next incident. About two months ago I was lying in bed half asleep; then I hear my floor creak. As I'm about to get up to see what's there, I realize I can't move. I was terrified! I take a couple breaths to calm down and I start to concentrate. My body starts to move; with a lot of resistance. Slowly but surely I sit up in my bed and turn on the light.

I quickly scan the room to see if anyone is there. I found no one. With my mobility completely restored, I get up and check my closet and underneath my desk. Again I come up empty handed and alone. For some reason I still had the feeling something was there watching me.

Now standing in the middle of my room, I start to randomly turn around to make sure whatever presence I felt didn't somehow get behind me. After maybe thirty seconds of this I start to feel silly and embarrassed for doing something like that and I stop. I jump back into bed and after maybe an hour of listening to hear anything, I fall asleep.

Later that night I wake up again completely paralyzed. Well, except for my eyes. Only this time it was stronger. The best way I can describe it is as if it was holding me with a tighter grip. Thinking back to earlier that night I try to focus on moving my arm. As I tried to lift it my arm just started to shake. Similar to how your arms shake when you try your best to bench press a weight that's too heavy for you.

After trying so hard I started to get fatigued. I tried taking deep breaths, but for some odd reason my lungs wouldn't fill up all the way. It was as if something was sitting on top of me, cutting off my air circulation. Getting more scared as the seconds pass, I can feel my adrenaline rush through me. Beads of sweat start forming at the top of my forehead, as I continue to resist.

Then out of fear and desperation I grunt something out, and with all my might I sit up as fast as I can. The pressure was gone, and I was taking full advantage of my restored lung capacity. I turn on the light and look around. Again I find nothing. Only this time I didn't feel as if anything were watching me. Even without the feeling of being watched I was still horrified and reluctant to go back asleep.

Eventually I grew weary and slept (with the TV on). Since that night I haven't had any more experiences of sleep paralysis. Looking back on what I thought was a child hood nightmare, I realize whatever caused it when I was a kid probably caused it now. I'm very curious to find out what did this to me.

There are probably a few things I should mention that might help. For one I know it wasn't a residential haunting because between the nights when I was little to the more recent occurrence, I had moved to a new house about three miles away. Also, when the second night of terror happened I had gone through a rather harsh break up a few weeks before.

Could it be possible that my emotional state had something to do with this? For the first night (when I was a little kid) I can't remember my emotional state. Lastly, I can't remember exactly what I grunted. I am positive that it was either God or Jesus. Personally I believe that grunt was what granted me my freedom.

Any ideas?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CuriousDave, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-09)
Spartan070 made a good point. Sleep Paralysis does often cause you to see things that might not actually be there, but I myself have gotten to a state between awake and asleep, where I've been able to see things I believe to have been spirits around me, curious in the fact that I could notice them, though I was still cognitive, and able to move my body.

Seems you've already decided to take all possibilities into consideration, which is good. The only way to find any truth in the world is by examining multiple perspectives and determining what's true for yourself.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I hate to say it but I agree with the other posters here. I to believe that this was another example of sleep paralysis. But who knows. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
That is a very good story.

No wonder it was published it's totally true plus with all the detail in it, it can't possibly be fake.

That is a very interesting story,

And I am very glad to hear it, very scary, sorry I have absolutely no idea!

😕
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
You are very wise to think that. A true beliver will take everything into account.
CuriousDave (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
thank you all for your comments! And I'll be sure to look up sleep paralysis. The main thing that phases me is how saying (Jesus or God) allowed me to move. Then again that could be psychological.
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
reading the last 4 posts I have to agree and withdraw my last comment. I didn't even think of sleep paralysis. But if that's not the case it does sound like demon.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
I agree with the last three posters. I would think this a classic case of S.P. As I have not experienced it myself, I would suggest researching it on line, and at the library to gain as much knowledge as you feel comfortable with.
Thank you
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
I think Kisho had hit the nail on the head. It sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis. I suffered with it from early childhood until I was in my thirties. I saw and felt everything imaginable, quite frankly it will scare you almost to death. All I can say is more than likely you will out grow it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Spartan070 (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
actually I can (t) agree with kisho. Yes, it might just be sleep paralysis, but I have heard many times that while you're sleeping or just waking you are MUCH more sensitive to ghosts and spirits and demons, so if they are there, youll be able to see them much clearer than if you are fully awake
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
Well written, but I'd suggest looking up sleep paralysis before concluding in the paranormal.

Basically, your mind wakes up before your body does, and your senses are wonky. Most cases, the people feel a pressure holding them down, the inability to move or speak, and can see shadows or forms, that go away when their body kicks in.

There's actually an entire section here dedicated to sleep paralysis and similar things.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/ghost-stories-categories.php?category=5&page=1
WRP (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-06)
It sounds to me like you have some kind of demon that is following you. My suggestion is to try and stay positive by listening to music that make you feel happy and light hearted before sleep as demons pray on sadness and despair. You should also pray for protection every night. That can help until you reach a priest or medium to help you get rid of this being. Just be careful that whoever you bring in knows what they're doing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: