You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost in the Chair and the Writing on the Wall

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost in the Chair and the Writing on the Wall

 

There was a time when I was growing up back in Indiana that we were remodelling part of the old house. We'd peeled the wallpaper off the walls around the stairway that went up to my bedroom and had just put on a fresh layer of spackling compound to level-off and even-out the old plaster in preparation for gluing cork and mirror tiles on the walls the next day. (Yes, it was the 70's.)

In the middle of the night I got up to go downstairs to pee. (Nice to remember that even as a kid I had to do that once in awhile.)

There was a rocking chair in my room that the family cat, Rascal, liked to sleep in at night.

With my glasses off everything was blurry and there was just the moonlight and the street light through the two windows at opposite ends of the room. One window was at the top of the stairs. I thought I was seeing Rascal's fuzzy white shape in that old wooden rocker, so I leaned down to pet him on my way to the steps.

But as I reached down, my hand passed through the fuzzy, furry white blob I'd thought was the cat and my fingertips touched the rough material of the cushion he would have been sleeping on. There was a sudden cold tingling feeling, like an electrical charge, except it was really, really cold. It chilled my hand to above the wrist almost immediately. This is gonna sound weird, but, its outermost edges "gathered blue" as I looked at it. My mind was still in shock from my hand passing through my cat, and I know it doesn't make sense now, but it felt like it was "drawing blue" out of the room and the tingling intensified till my elbow hurt. Then, whatever it was took off through the back of the chair moving fast, like I'd startled it.

It shot across the room and over to the staircase, an elliptical blob of bluish-white light that never touched the floor, but rolled in the air, slightly churning as it moved.

Stupid as it might sound, I chased after it. It shot over to the stairwell, then down, keeping itself above the steps and sort of leaning into the wall until it finally passed through the wall and out of the house somewhere just shy of the other side of the landing.

I was still at the top of the stairs, and looked out the window and down, trying to see if I could find it moving out of the house. I caught sight of it briefly, just a glimpse as it darted above the hedges and tomato plants in the side yard, then suddenly shot upwards, out of sight. As it moved up, it seemed to peel backwards, like it was turning itself inside out, just before it disappeared. When I stopped seeing it, it was about ten feet above my head, and almost halfway across the neighbor's back yard. That thing moved fast! and weird....

I kept watching the sky for few minutes to see if there was anything else out there, till I really had to pee. So, I went down the stairs and over to the bathroom to relieve myself... then went back to bed. It was awful late in the night and I didn't figure anyone would want to be woken up just to hear about something that was already over, so I went back to bed.

When I woke up the next day and walked down the stairs, the spackling compound was dried and would have been ready for setting tile -- except now it was all scratched up. But it wasn't like claw marks, which you would have expected to follow a straight path or make curving arcs, lifting the compound, if it really was the stupid cat and I'd just imagined everything else in the moonlight... no, these marks were more like a series of badly drawn lightning bolts. It looked like they'd been "squiggled" into the compound. They were all jaggedy, in short -almost methodical- bursts. Like someone was writing something but forgot how to use the alphabet.

But the really weird thing goes like this: The spackling compound wasn't dragged through... I don't know how to explain this, but hang in there with me for a minute. Imagine dragging your finger through some cake frosting (that's pretty much the consistency of spackling compound) to make the letter Z like Zorro would. Notice how the frosting is displaced outwards by the movement of your finger. Notice how the heaviest amount of frosting ends up in a little pile pushed at the end where you lifted your finger away from the cake to lick the frosting... notice how the frosting lifted up with you to follow your finger as long as it could before seperating and falling back slightly. Now here's the really weird thing: with these markings in the wall, THERE WAS NO HEAVIEST EDGE OR END, anywhere! Period. All along all those little jagged letter-ish shapes the displacement was even, as if you'd started at the center (of each axis) and pushed evenly outwards to displace the mud (that's what you call spackling compound). Even. Smooth. Uniform displacement. Everywhere. Plus, when I said these things were "letter-ish," I meant that they were of fairly uniform height and consistent width, prety much like you were scribbling something down in a hurry. (Yeah, I know, alien spaceghost graffiti from the other side. But, this really could have been some kind of writing, it looked that intentional. Know what I mean?)

Believe me, my brother and I studied these markings a long time, twisting around to look at these things from all angles, even holding up a mirror to look at them backwards, before we had to smear on the glue and tile them over.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

LoneDruid (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
i like the story. It has got an mysterious speedy ghost! And Its 2014 Now [at]
jjinca (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-03)
Dear Mark,

What a great story. Since you submitted this in 2006, and it is now 2011, I don't know if you will ever see this post. In any event, I really enjoyed your story.

-JJ in CA
Diyanuh (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
cool story oh and same here it took me awhile to get the frosting part I actually went to the store to buy some and to see what you meant. LOL but I get that's very wierd some people say that they don't want ghosts in their houses but I'm the oppisite... I want them in my house

Well thanks for the cool cool story

Diana
Lauren1970 (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
I know that this posting occurred in 2006 and now this is 2008 BUT I wanted to add that this person who created this posting is very detailed about the writing on the wall as I have experienced this 2 times myself. The decsription of the way the writing is the exact same but with mine, it slowly fades away off of the wall. I am glad that someone is seeing what I am! Phew!
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-02)
Were you ever able to get your glasses on to get a good look at whatever that was zipping around that night? And the writing on the wall, was it almost as if a cookie cutter was pressed into the spackling compound, or more like a two sticks starting at the center point and then zig zagging out to form the "letters"? I am just curious as I was watching a program on the television that reportedly had "cookie cut out writing" on the wall, and it was attributed to poltergeist activity. Thanks for your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
What an interesting story, very frightening to I am sure.

It may have been an alphabet, just not one that you were familiar with, it may have been another language, or even another language from another time.

Cool. Do you know any history in the house?

God Bless!
Kated9 (6 stories) (14 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Wow sounds weird all right. Did anything else happen to you? Did the cat or white entity ever come back? Enjoyed your story 😁
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
I heard a story about a ghost just writing on the wall. I think they do this to get things across. I have seen 5 ghost this year and this is the first year I have seen ghosts. I have seen 4 and the 5th one I could hear her but not understand what she was saying though. Anyway I enjoyed reading your story it was really interesting thanks for sharing it with us. 😊
Kirby (5 stories) (57 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-03-19)
...errm... I didn't quite understand that story. I don't think orbs are ghosts, I think their just reflections in things. As you said, your glasses werent on. So maybe you 'thought' it was an orb. As for the writing, anyone can make scribbles to look like writing. Maybe someone was trying to trick you...
Charlie (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-26)
Man I would have followed that thimg outside but that would be kinda stupid wouldnt it?
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-02)
wow, this story is so cool, it did take me a while to understand what you meant about the cake frosting(not saying this in a bad way at all)but I figured it out and that is JUST THE WIERDEST THING EVER, I was like, how could that be? wow, I think that story leaves me the most awed out of all the stories I've read, but for those of you who are reading this and you posted stories and I've read and posted on them, I still love your stories and find them all interesting. Well, for now I'm done.
jerry seymour (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-10-23)
that was cool...im loving it
mary (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2006-10-21)
cool.., i've never heard of a ghost story like that before. I wish i could see some or probably get in "touch" with them. What do you think?
Mark (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-10-14)
Thanks for the comments! That old house had all sorts of weird things going on in and around it, I'll post a few of them as I get the chance. The orb concept seems likely, but I've never heard of anyone sticking their hand in one. On a camping trip last spring (up in Rampart Range in Colorado) I got see several hundred at once, just filling the woods at all levels. It was beautiful.
Rebecca (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-10-11)
Hi - great story! What you saw was an energy "orb" - some say they are spirits or angels. (They show up in photos alot.) My scientific background speculates that, as this orb was zooming down the staircase, it bounced a few times off the wall and the intense energy it possessed actually vaporized the spackling compound where it hit, which is why there'd be no "edge". Energy likes to react uniformly, which is why the markings would also be so. Too bad you had to cover them up! :-)
Tina (guest)
 
18 years ago (2006-10-11)
Interesting :) did u after that have guts to go in the night to pee ;)
sherry johnson (guest)
+1
18 years ago (2006-10-06)
wow...this was some experience to go thru. did you ever have any more things happen after that? enjoyed your story !!!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: