You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Imaginary Friends

Real Ghost Stories

Imaginary Friends

 

I wonder if anyone would be able to give me some advice on my story. I am unsure if it's real or subject to an overactive imagination.

Roughly at the age of 3, I began speaking to 2 imaginary friends. I am now 20, but I remember these friends as clear as day, looks, clothes and personality. I called them by names, Stevie and Marlin; my family knew nobody with these names. I remember having discussions with them and even setting my Granny's home on fire because Stevie asked me too.

I remember the last time I spoke to them, I was around 5. My Father was sitting on the chair in the corner and my mother on the other side, I was speaking to them and Stevie was sitting on top of a speaker (attached to the Hi-Fi) My father turned to my mother and said that he was concerned and I had to stop speaking to thin air. I told them I couldn't speak to them anymore and never spoke to them again.

I experience Déjà-Vu all the time, and experience very strange dreams.

Roughly around 3 years ago, my cat passed away. I had nightmares for 2 nights and on the third night I was watching television and I am around 95% sure I saw my cat sitting in front of the bed this appeared for roughly 5 seconds before I blinked and it disappeared. I presumed this was my eyes playing tricks on me, but I am unsure.

Three nights ago, I was walking up an ally way in the streets of old Edinburgh, and I heard footsteps behind me, I turned around and nobody was there, I carried on walking and the footsteps continued behind me, I became cold and teary and goose bumps appeared, I turned around and again nobody was there. I hurried up the path and I felt fine after this.

Please give me advice.

Thanks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lynz48, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

drawitbig (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-24)
if you created them, you have power over them. They may try to frighten you, but you are still their master and can decide their fates. Make that clear to them and lose your fear of them. If you do this you can control them
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
The way you rationalise your thoughts is a great thing to do. It helps us eliminate the psossibility that this is paranormal. But in this case I don't think that this will help. I think you should try explaining this in other termns. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-04)
Hi Lynz48 and thanks for sharing your story with us!

I think that your imaginary friends might have just been imaginary friends because even I had one and I still have one!

You said you saw the ghost of your cat and it can be absolutely true. Can't give you much advice on that!

The feeling of someone following you could have been really something or just paranoia.

Hope I've been of help! Thanks and hope to reading more stories from you!

Biemaster
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-02)
Oh wow, I find this very disturbing. You set your Grandmother's home on fire because your imaginary friend told you to? I suggest, with all due respect, you schedule an appointment with a psychologist whether the nature of your episodes are paranormal or not.

Fallenangel2013: that's called "blasphemy" by catholics. The word ridiculous also comes to mind.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-02)
Hello Lynz48. It would seem to me that you were born sensitive and are now going through a re-awakening. Since you can remember your "imaginary friends", then it is apparent that they weren't imaginary, just unseen. At five years old you shut yourself down in order to please your father and now 15 years later your abilities are trying to reawaken- what you have to decide is whether to remain shut down or allow yourself to open up.
Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
Considering where you live I can see why you are bombarded with all sorts of strange things. Isn't your city one of the most haunted in all the world? I don't think your sensitivity has left you it was just put on hold. I guess it's up to you if you want to hone it and become good at it or hide it and hope it will just all go away. Most of us never have to make this decision so I don't know if it should be considered a gift or a curse. I would think it depends on the courage and stability of the individual to handle it as to whether it's a positive thing or a negative one.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I believe like everyone else. I think that by your stop talkin to your imaginery friends you kept yourself from seeing what you were turly supposed to see later on in life. I had imaginery friends that were every color and now I can't get away from everything that I see. Everything will be ok. Take it in strides and embrace this gift.
2013fallenangel2013 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
k I noticed one thing that caught my attention I don't know if your cathloic like I am or anything thing and I respect your religion w/e it may be but I noticed that you saw your cat on the third day and Jesus rose from the dead on the third day which is now easter-concidental? I don't know I just thought I might tell you that🤔
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I can really see the effort you're making to rationalize your experiences or at least the space you allow for another interpretation than that of a paranormal nature and in some cases one might very well suggest that all things can differ depending on the ankle you examine them from. You say you specifically remember the "imaginary friends" you had-the ones you spoke to until your parents began to worry too much about you. I take it you intentionally and quite consciously interrupted all communication with them in an effort to "fit in" and not "stand out".

Of course you may THINK you saw your pet, especially if it's one you missed! Sometimes our need to see someone can create mental images that are so powerful, they may appear almost real.

As for the sounds and footsteps, I'd say depending on how dark and how scary a place appears, there's a great possibility that sounds are mostly imagined or misinterpreted.

Taking all that into consideration, I can't help but wonder if you're really trying to convince yourself that you're not seeing or hearing anything. We are a group of people who believe in the non physical universe and many of us believe we have had other than "normal" experiences. Sometimes a strange and inexplicable sound is just that-inexplicable and not unexplained. A figure looking at us when it shouldn't be there and when it's not perceived still is a figure who shouldn't be there no matter how much we want to reject the idea. Thus, why don't you consider the possibily that out of fear or concern for your parents you might have blocked an amazing ability to see beyond our world-an ability that strives to surface once again?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I think a lot of people experience Déjà-Vu periodically. In MY thought process, that is just our past coming up to greet us. A sort of reminder of things, so that we will not make the same mistakes again, or so that we will do right again.
Animals have been known to come back for one last goodbye. Even if they do not come in for a pet, they do make themselves known, and why not? They were loved by their humans for their lifetime. ALso, perhaps your cat wanted you to know it was o.k.
As historic as Edinberg is, I would think there was something wrong with you if you COULD NOT sense any type of "extra curricular" energies there. In the form of a footstep, or in voices, MANY who never have any kinds of experiences hear and see things in the most historic places.
Imaginary friends. Now there is a two edged sword. There are those who DO have, and those who have GHOSTLY friends. I have got to say, with the admission to starting a fire at the request of ONE of them...
Thank you.
kimberly (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I have no advice, but I extend my sympathy because I've had similar experiences and they are hard to live with. Like a lot of people on this site, I'm not sure how I feel about some of this stuff, and I hate to give advice I wouldn't take myself, but have you been to a psychic or considered that you have psychic abilities?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: