You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Imaginary Friend From The Chinese Ghost Month

Real Ghost Stories

Imaginary Friend From The Chinese Ghost Month

 

I am writing this after long emotional talks with my grandma & mother, trips to temples, trip to my childhood home, and research on internet about all the paranormal stuff which happens around the world.

My last experience happened in a northern city of India, Dehradun which totally freaked me out. Then I was called to visit the Buddhist Monk. He asked me series of questions about me and my childhood. One of the questions was whether I had an imaginary friend. Those questions were unusual and forced me ask some uncomfortable questions from my mother. It was uncomfortable as my mother is quite conservative and reserved when it comes to talks of the 'beyond'. Still, it had become necessary now.

And as I called her and began asking certain questions, she jumped the topics and asked me to stop following other religions. Then I told her about all my experiences and I emphasized about the Biblical demons existing in Lord Jesus's era. The quieted down and asked me to visit my maternal grandma in Hong Kong. I called my grandma and she seemed to have weird reactions to my questions and described me a person named "Evelyn". Well, this person was my imaginary friend from childhood.

I went to HK and met my grandma. She narrated me about my childhood days which I had spent with my grandparents in Hong Kong. During the famous Chinese Hungry Ghost Month, I had made an imaginary friend named "Evelyn". This baffled me as I do not remember about her now. But my grandma told, that I had started seeing her (what she thinks) when she came to eat the food offering outside my grandparents house. I had described Evelyn as a young Caucasian lady wearing a long grayish-yellow maxi dress. She was sweet to me and used to treat me good. My grandma recalled few incidents when I was around 4 years old and I was talking to my grandma about the World Wars and the loss of people and the mess which the world was in. It was that time when my grandma had realized that Evelyn isn't imaginary but real and she is from the 'beyond'. My grandparents were scared as they thought that I had broken some rule in the Ghost Month and the ghost had attached itself to me so they had the house and me blessed.

Interestingly, after the blessing, Evelyn's visit and references about her stopped from my side. But my late grandfather saw her outside the house one day. My grandma believes that Evelyn had gotten angry with her and grandpa as they had broken her connection with me. And my grandpa had described Evelyn same as I had described about her. But my grandpa always saw her outside so he kept quiet about her presence around me.

I grew up without her in my memory. And I shifted around the world with my parents and I got to know one more shocking secret from my mother. After I had shifted with my parents, my mother also saw Evelyn. At first, she thought she was having hallucinations due to her medications. But as my younger brother grew older and started speaking, he started aiming at Evelyn and talked about her. My mother freaked out when she discussed about Evelyn with my brother. He described her same as my grandpa had described her which was same as my description. This freaked my mother to this extent that she sent me & my brother to a convent boarding school thinking that maybe being closer to God would force Evelyn away from her kids. For all these years, me and my brother never brought up anything about spirits or anything paranormal to the dinner table or family reunions, so she thought everything was cooled down. But when I called her, she lost her peace of mind and decided to let me know about Evelyn since I was grown up and mature.

So when I called my brother, he told me that he hasn't had any paranormal experience ever. So I concluded that Evelyn is attached with me. I tried to research on any woman named Evelyn who lived in Hong Kong in 1900s, but found none. So I am at an dead end with Evelyn's details.

And then I had a weird experience just when I came back to my apartment in Dehradun after my trip to Hong Kong. I sat on my bed, thought of Evelyn, and spoke about all the things I had learnt from my trip to childhood home. The I asked her if she is still stuck or attached with me just because I had opened the umbrella inside the house so many years ago (My grandma thinks that is how she got attached according to the Chinese Ghost Month code of conduct). And then, all of a sudden I felt really warm, so warm that I almost felt as if someone poured warm water over me. I felt good as it is cold still in this part of India and the feeling of warmth felt good. I thought of it as yes and it was the first time I didn't feel scared but surprised at her readiness to interact with me.

And I keep on searching for Evelyn's history and her link to me. How and why is it that she found a friend in me?

Other hauntings by AngeLeeS

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AngeLeeS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
-1
4 years ago (2020-05-23)
have u watched the Exorcist meter? Its about kenneth ma investigating the paranormal in HK, very nice. I'm christian but I'm alw apprehensive during Ghost month 😟
AngeLeeS (8 stories) (20 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Hi everybody. I was out for a project work so couldn't access this site. Personally, I do not believe in the Chinese superstitions. I don't think I know all of them either. And I feel Evelyn had more of an impact on my elders rather than me as I don't clearly remember her.
Moreover it's hard to find any info about her as there aren't any historical records to begin with. But I'm pretty sure that there is some entity out there who's with me even while I'm writing this.
x77 (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-02)
I am Taiwanese, I agree with notjustme, some Chinese superstition waste too much money, Especially Chinese style funeral, sometimes it is to show off more than to be sorrowful.
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Hi in south india we sometimes believe if a soul is seen after death by others especially by most of the family members and if the spirit does good things and nor harm or just help you out in time of need. We think its good spirit and we believe that soul due to its very good karmas have elevated its soul to higher level, kind of lime transforming from ordinary to a a wee bit extraordinary being and these beings continue to live longer and only guide and help others and never do any harm. Such spirits are considered as home spirits and one amoung family members and people create a small alter or they just offer prayers to them and offer food of their likes and burn incense. These beings are happy that we gave due respect to them and guide when needed. They also come in dreams or like above show themselves to these people and will tell I will be your guardian. Mostly very young children who passed away and some adults who did lot of good things etc stay as kind of demi gods or transformed beings and I guess tbey might not fall under ghost as ghosts do bad things.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Thanks for the links:D That is very interesting!

I agree. With pretty much everything that notjustme has said so far.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Hi, AngeLeeS very neat story and (at) notjustme thanks for link as I am also unaware from Ghost month... Quite an interesting... I am agree with notjustme...

God bless you dear,
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-29)
To add to the story, AngeLee, another guess I have is Evelyn was just a wandering spirit who enjoyed playing with you and your brother because you could see her. I believe young children has their third eye open so it's easier to commute with them. Maybe she just needed someone there, and has now moved on to either a different place or different children.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-29)
I adore Hong Kong. I was there several years ago for school.

I am confused. What is a Ghost month?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-29)
Also, can you please tell about your mom's experience with Evelyn?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-29)
Hi AngeLeeS - Neat story, and thanks for sharing.

Like you, I grew up with all the Chinese superstition related to ghost month, umbrellas, singing while eating dinner, hitting our chop sticks on the bowls, etc. As I grew up and experienced things for myself, I have come to the theory that ghost month beliefs are half/half. First, I no longer believe spirits need food or money in the afterlife, so the theory of them being "hungry" is out the window for me now. I truly believe that some smart person made all that up to promote the day so the market and incense industry can make more money in July. Just like Christmas, Valentine's day, etc,...money. So many people make a really big deal in July, buying paper houses, paper cars, paper servants, and paper money to burn for their loved ones who has passed. They also pray at home with lots of fruits and sweets, and burn a lot of incense.
Do we really need a day to tell us when to be kind to others? When to buy a gift for your partner? And when to remember your dead ones? I personally don't think so.
Why I am saying this is because your family seems to think you did something to invite Evelyn when she came to "eat". I highly doubt a random stranger would attach themselves to you just because your family was doing offerings on the side of the road. I'm not saying Evelyn isn't real or didn't happen, but I also know Chinese elders are VERY superstitious and could work themselves up over small things. Also, you have no recollection of her but your family says they have... My guess is she died somewhere on your street, and that's why she still lingers there, and your family can see her sometimes. Young children will often point to nothing and talk. Sometimes it is a spirit but sometimes it's just children being children.

She didn't cause any harm to your family, and neither you or your brother remembers anything about her, so I wouldn't search up on her so much. To be honest, I think your family worked your mind up so much about her that now you are very fascinated by the "idea" of Evelyn. Our minds will sometimes trick us into believing what we want to.

Again, I don't mean to sound skeptic, I believe what you say, but I don't think it's as extreme as you would like to believe. Just all my opinion on the story. Thank you.

P.s. Sorry if my words are all jumbled, I'm trying to type as fast as I can so I can go eat my lunch. So hungry 😭

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: