You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Knocking At The Door

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking At The Door

 

To begin my story I must say that I live in a downstairs, two bedroom apartment. And we have been living here for eight months. As soon as we moved in my husband became friends with the neighbors in the apartments that surround ours. All the neighbors have lived here for a very long time (years) and they all know each other.

So one night, my husband was outside talking to his friends, he comes in and starts telling me that our apartment had been vacant for a very long time. And every family that did move in only lasted a month or so. And I'm thinking to myself "So what". Well our neighbors say that our apartment is inhabited by a demon that manifests itself to children and women. But I have not seen anything and the only thing that I do remember is on our second night here the faucets in the tub turned on by themselves.

Now my husband is very much into ghost stories and movies. And I have to say that since I have known him he has always seen and heard things. One Saturday night the kids and I decided to go to bed early. My husband decided to stay up and watch movies by himself. The next day he began to tell me that he kept hearing thumping on the ceiling and footsteps. Now that is normal due to the fact that we live downstairs. So he just figured it was our neighbor Rick walking around and going on about his business. But around 12:30am he saw the headlights of a car pulling up (our living room window faces the parking lot) and he peeked and saw that it was Rick pulling up with his family. So who was making the noise?

We have a five year old son and a two year old daughter that share a room next to ours. Through out our time living here he always says that he hears knocking at his door. It's weird because we don't hear the knocking. My son says that when he hears it he opens his eyes and say "Who is it?" but nobody answers. And this happens all the time too. So we tell him it's his dad knocking to make sure he's ok. Now my son said "Remember daddy the other night when you knocked on my door and I got scared and you started laughing?" I am going to be honest and say that I'm a scardy cat and before us telling him it was his dad he would always come into our bed in the middle of the night because he was scared. I wonder what can it be and why my daughter doesn't cry or wake up at night like he does? Can it all be in his head?

There have been other little things happen to us but I will write about them later. I am just looking for answers and I know that no one can answer them but please let me know what you think. I'm starting to get a little freaked out now. Thanks for reading...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laura1103, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-08)
Well I believe that you got some very good help here. I to believe that this may not be a demon but and angry spirit. But they to can be very scary! We must not show fear to spirits (I know easier said the done) because they may feed off of fear. Then they have more energy to do some bad things. I would suggest to do a smudge ceremony. The same thing as Frawin said. I blessed my place and that helped to. So the best thing here is basicaly to do something. This spirit won't go by itself. Well at least that rarely ever happens. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
COBzeppelin99 (2 stories) (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-06)
get it blessed by a catholic priest, works every time. My friend's old house had an imp... Which I submitted as a story today. I hope they put it on the website
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-03)
Hello Laura. I played the devil's advocate, now I will tell you what I really think. First off, unless something has happened that you've not mentioned, I don't think you are dealing with a demon. I think you have an angry, mean spirited ghost. As far as it, meaning the ghost, appearing only to women and children -it could be that women and children are generally more open to the paranormal than men are. Men usually shuts themselves down- a kind of "macho" type thing. If nothing more than what you've mentioned has happened, then a house cleansing should clear things up. Have your house cleansed according to your belief system. Good luck and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
Laura1103 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-03)
In respnose to Frawin:
I believe we had lived in our apartment for two months when the neighbors informed my husband of the "demon". I'm a more skeptical person and I don't believe things easily. The neighbors said they knew about the demon because the former tenants would tell the the things that were happening inside. Like I said, I have not seen anything. My husband would never hold a conversation about demons in front of our children so my son doesn't know about it. But why does my son hear this constant heaaring? And he hears it often because he talks about it almost everyday.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-02)
Hello Laura1103. Let me play the part of the devil's advocate here. How long had you lived there before your neighbors saw fit to inform you that you had a demon as a roommate? Did you ever ask your neighbors how they came to find out about the demon? Do you think that a big part of this could be written off as the power of suggestion? The neighbors put the demon idea into your husband's head and he in turn unintentionally put it into you and your children's heads. I think a good thorough investigation is in order- it may indeed lead to paranormal activity or it may lead to frayed nerves brought on by the neighbors' idea of a joke.
Thank you for sharing your story with us, I truly enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
15 years ago (2008-10-02)
Hi Laura1103, there was an error and we fixed it, your story should be complete now.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-02)
It is ok to be scared. Everyone gets scared at onepoint of another. I still scared when a shadow or a spirit comes out of no where. That is completely understanable. I know it is hard, but for our daughter you must not acted scared when something happens. This will cause her to get more scared. I have learned this very quickly right after I had mine. Just last night she didn't even want to be in the living room be herself. Finally when I got her to sleep she was fine. I felt a presence but didn't see one so I knew that I had to be strong for her as well as myself. Depending on your religion I would suggest that you speak to someone from a church. If you are not religious than I would try and contact a group or medium that could come or even talk you through what to do to try and cleanse your home of this demon. I like I said it is ok to be scared everyone gets that way. It will all be ok. I promise. If I didn't believe that than I would not say it. If you need anymore help let me know. I will try my hardest to help you through this.

Lindsay
Laura1103 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-02)
I want to apologize because maybe my story was confusing. For some reason it started half way and it doesn't explain everything correctly. I live in a downstair two bedroom apartment that has always been vacant. Tenants who do move in quickly move out for some reason. Well the neighbors say there's a demon who lives here and it targets women and children. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. To be honest, I'm a little scared myself.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-02)
I agree with JamesRobiscoe, that was a good way of tellingyour son not to be scared anymore. Also, I think that your husband should take the lead in the invetigation to see what is making your son uncomfortable. It might be that it only comes to your son and that is why your daughter doesn't hear it. Your son might be likemost people on this site and be extrememly sensitive to this. I am and so is my daughter, my husband and step kids are not. When my daughter gets scared of something in the house, the other kids don't it doesn't bother them. Tell your son to stand up to it. The next time it starts tell him to tell it to go away. If he shows it that it still scares him, but that he is standing up for himself it will eventually go away. My daughter has already learned that. She is only 20 months old but she has a mind of her and doesn't let anything walk over her. If something is in the house and it messes with something of hers she tells it to stop and to go away, and it does. Best of luck and best wishes. If you need anything let us know.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-02)
I don't believe children make up things to be scared about. They don't like being scared. The more typical "monsters under the bed" don't make noises and they don't cackle. Since your husband seems to be the more sensitive in this arena, he might consider taking the lead in further investigation. There must be local ghost hunting teams or a paranormal group to call, but research into the property's history is always a good place for you to start. (The explanation to your son is ingenious, by the way.)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: