You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Groans At My Bedroom Door

Real Ghost Stories

Groans At My Bedroom Door

 

I'm not really sure if this is worth posting, Hell, I'm not even sure if what I heard was legit, but I'll let you guys decided.

This happened just this past Saturday the 28th of March. I was on a long weekend because I had put in for time off to go to SC Comicon (I put in for the time long before the rescheduling due to Corona). My PTO started on Thursday and ran through Monday. Starting Thursday night I was having trouble sleeping, something just felt off and I had to sleep with my lamp on just to feel comfortable. Well Saturday night I was up late playing my PS4 when around 2:45 a.m. I started hearing this weird groaning sound right outside my bedroom door. I had my door closed so I wouldn't disturb my parents and it sounded like it was just on the other side.

Now if you read my previous story "My Parents House" then you would know about my experience with the attic and the image from the movie "The Grudge". Well it seemed like Kayako wasn't done with me because the groaning noise sounded exactly like the choking-groaning sounds she made only slower, almost hesitant or confused, I dunno. It was slow like "urggh...urggh...urggh...urggh". This repeated off and on until around 5:30-ish which is when I noticed I wasn't hearing it any more. I didn't time it to see how often it occured during that time, but it seemed to be about 10-20 minute intervals.

I thought it may have been my dad the first time I had heard it since he usually goes to bed between 12am and 2:30am, but I don't know what time he went to bed since I was in my room with the door closed the whole time and after I heard it the second time and what it sounded like I knew it wasn't my parents. I was wholly focused on the game I was playing and wasn't thinking about anything other than that so I know I wasn't psyching myself out when it started. I didn't feel any other sensations other than a steady eerie, creepy feeling.

I tried to brush it off the first few times, but it persisted. There were two times where after I heard it I saw a flash of white in the corner of my left eye. From where I was sitting it had to have come from my computer monitor, like a light suddenly reflected or my monitor fickered on for a split second, but my computer had been off all day and my monitor shuts itself off when there's no signal. I also had my main room light on so it was pretty bright in there so a flash would have had to have been really bright to see it. I didn't look in that direction to affirm anything because I didn't want to possibly see something I'd regret. I kept looking at the bottom of my door though, expecting black hair to start creeping under it at any moment.

Needless to say I didn't sleep at all that night. I didn't even leave my room to use the bathroom until about 8:30 when there was light out. I was worried a bit about my parents since their room is right next to mine, but I couldn't bring myself to open the door (real brave of me I know). Though I did hear them snoring a few times which made me feel better. I didn't hear anything Sunday or Monday night, but I still had to sleep with my lamp on to feel comfortable.

Other hauntings by 8-bitDemigod

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 8-bitDemigod, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-15)
MrsRamsay

I guess you could say I live in a pretty historic area, but not anywhere near the scale of somewhere like Columbia or Charleston. I live in Travelers Rest which is a small town at the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. We were established as a rest area for people traveling to North Carolina and vice versa.

From what little I've read of the history apparently TR had a few native American tribes living there at one point. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything of note that happened in the area unlike Charleston and such. The nearby larger city of Greenville would be where most activity would have been.

I do believe the neighborhood I live in is one of the oldest, though I can't find any history on it in particular (not that I've invested much manpower in that area aside from a quick Google search...)

I appreciate your concern about the Ouija board, but for me it's a bit of an exciting prospect. If things do increase from what few events that have happened, then it would be a clear indicator that the paranormal does exist.

I hope you and your family also stay safe during this pandemic.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-15)
Hey, such an interesting story!
Are you in a historic district in South Carolina?

I'm no expert at all, and will defer to others who've answered you, but perhaps you should re-think the Ouija thing? I'm just thinking from everything I've seen, that kind of thing usually makes things worse?

Sorry about the Comic Con/Corona thing. Stay safe out there! This too shall pass.
8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
silverthane61

Our house is usually quiet unless someone is doing something. It is possible that this is a one time event and could even have been an artificial sound. All I know is what I thought it sounded like when I heard it. I just wish things were more consistent when something happens so it's not always guess work if it's legit.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
I wonder if this was a one-time incident. Also, the timing is interesting - you say it occurred at 10-20 minute intervals until stopping at around 5:30. That almost makes it appear mechanical, though I highly doubt it was that. Does your house emit "old-house" noises like creaks or groans? If we can rule out all the normal possibilities, I guess we are left with the paranormal ones.
8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-12)
Lealeigh

I'm not sure how old the house is though we moved there in '88 when I was 5 so it was probably built in the late 70s early 80s. Part of me thinks there may have been a two story house on that property since our house is only one of a handful of single story houses in our whole neighborhood. That might explain the footsteps since there could have been another floor there at one time.

It does sound like whatever this is it wants attention, whether for good or for ill I don't know. I've been thinking about maybe trying to contact it and even though I've been unsuccessful making a Ouija board, I have been successful in making a "Luigi" board. Maybe I can use that to communicate.

I had thought about asking my mom again about anything she may have experienced, though you might be right that she won't tell.

I generally intend to go to Comicon in costume, but since I've never made a costume before and I'm very undecisive about what I want to dress as, I typically just procrastinate until it's too late and don't make anything. Maybe this rescheduling is a blessing in disguise, telling me to get off my butt and make something already.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-12)
Hello 8-bitDemigod,

I think your experience was worth submitting! I read the story "My Parent's House" a while ago, when you submitted it, but have just now re-read it so I could get a complete picture in my mind of the activity in your house.

It is obvious to me that the groaning noise that you heard is connected to the figures that your father has seen in the hallway. Your mom is not forthcoming with any of the experiences that she may have had, if any, and it probably won't change. She has admitted that your father tells her about seeing things. I wonder if the sounds you heard as a child, of people walking on the roof, has any connection to the dread you felt when you had to put the Christmas Decorations in the attic (I am talking about this story and the previous one, if anyone wonders what I am talking about).

How old is your house? I don't know what I think it really is but I usually try to understand strange behaviors that are thought to be paranormal phenomena in this way: I remember the ways that living people try to get attention.

Sometimes when my mother is in a foul mood she creates this exaggerated cough. It sounds like Hell and I know it's not a real one because when she's genuinely sick it sounds different. She stops acting when she gets the attention of someone. I think the groaning noise is like this. "Someone" maybe wants to be acknowledged. This is only my personal crack pot theory; but I think it might explain the lights turning on in the house when you were a kid. One light shining in a dark house is something that couldn't have failed to be noticed by your family when you all returned home.

As it is with many living people, most annoying behavior can be found to be rooted in a need or want for attention - in my opinion.

***

Irrelevant question:

You had planned on going to comicon before Covid 19 came along and ruined all of our lives... Were you going in costume? If so, what were you going as?

- Maria
8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-04-11)
I wanted to add that I worked that Tuesday night and when I got home Wednesday morning around 6:40am the hallway was pitch black. Normally I could see dim light from outside through my parents window at the end of the hall, but not this time. Even the small lamps left on in the kitchen didn't cast any ambient light into the hall. I had to use my phone light to make sure I didn't trip over anything when I hotfooted to my room.

I don't have spectacular night vision, but I've never had trouble seeing down the hall any other time due to any ambient light that may be on. This time I could see anything.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: