You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunting On 2nd Street

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting On 2nd Street

 

Throughout my life I have been unfortunate (or fortunate - depending how you look at it) to live in several haunted homes. I'll start with my most extreme; the house on 2nd Street.

About ten years ago I lived in a Victorian in downtown San Jose, California. I rented the 2 bedroom/2 bath downstairs portion of the estate, which I shared with my then boyfriend and roommate. Our portion of the house came with the large parlor, living room, dine-in kitchen, storage room, backyard and detached garage. The house was located next to an abandoned church and across from a funeral home.

Perhaps the funeral home charged the energy even more; regardless there were many supernatural and inexplicable occurrences that happened there.

My very first experience in that house happened when I was reading in the front parlor one night. I was sitting on my L shaped couch facing the bay windows at the front of the house. To my left, passed the wooden pillars was the entryway where my tabby kitten, Luna (aka. Bob - realized later she was a male) was playing. He was playing with a bottle cap that must have been lost during our last party.

As Luna slid the metal cap around on the linoleum floor I was intensely reading about tapping into my intuition, possible my first mistake. My right ear was plugged, more than likely from cleaning it too often (I was practically O.C.D. About my ears back then).

I couldn't hear too much out of my right ear but I was disrupted in my reading when I heard a man's voice from the right side of the room. I turned and looked to my right and stared at the dark wall. I knew it wasn't my boyfriend because he was sleeping in our room which wasn't adjacent to that wall. My roommate wasn't home so I knew it wasn't him either.

Even though the voice sounded like it came from the room I was in, I rationalized it by thinking that it must have came from the other side of the wall which was a separate stairway entrance to the converted units upstairs.

I noticed that I didn't hear my cat playing on the floor. I turned and saw my orange tabby looking in the direction that the noise came from. A few seconds later he looked over, connected eyes with me then continued playing with his newfound toy. I felt uncomfortable yet I brushed off the sensation and continued reading.

Several minutes passed and I stopped reading as soon as I noticed Luna had stopped playing again. His paw was stretched out touching the bottle cap, as if he was frozen in a playing pose. He was fixated in the same direction as to where the first noise came from, this time his gaze was slightly to the right, just passed me.

At that same moment I felt a cold wave engulf the room. All at once I felt pressure come over me, weighing me down from the right. I couldn't move - I couldn't call for help. Before I even started to panic I heard a loud breathy whisper next to my right ear. I couldn't tell what the man's voice was saying; whatever it said it was 7 or 8 syllables long and he didn't sound happy. Somehow I broke out of the restraint and ran to my room. Undeniably I was a hysterical mess that night.

Now thinking back, I'm unsure if I couldn't understand what the entity was saying because of how it came out or whether it was my plugged ear. I never heard that voice again after that night. Then again, I refused to be alone in the parlor - day or night.

Several months later we had a Halloween party. There were a few strange occurrences with guests on that night. During the party I shared my experiences with a group of friends. It was after this a few friends confided in me what they experienced that very night in my home. One friend had been sitting in front of the bay windows facing into the room. She heard her name several times being called, the voice coming from her left. Of course no one was in the direction of the voice.

A friend's boyfriend had gone to use the bathroom at the far end of the house, passed the kitchen. He was hesitant to share his experience since he didn't believe in the supernatural. He told me was standing in the bathroom when heard someone enter the restroom. The door was locked; it being a small bathroom he knew he was alone. He suddenly felt a force go through the front core of his body and out his back. It happened quickly but the force of it made him stubble back. Needless to say his perception was changed that night.

Months after these events, I had another experience in my room. I was sitting on my bed, with my cat at my feet, reading a magazine. I was alone and I felt stuck in my room because the light in the living room had burnt out. I had gotten distracted while searching for a bulb and it got dark out. I would have to walk through the dark rooms in order to get to the front or back of the house, so I took refuge in my room.

In the middle of reading I heard noise coming from the parlor, then the living room - which was outside my room. Alone in the house, somehow I knew that it wasn't someone that had broken in. It was something that was already in there. I heard a big thud and a clanking sound come from the living room. I recognized that the sound was the 6' metal ladder falling to the floor. I had used the ladder to take out the dead light bulb from the ceiling lamp. I was standing at the right side of my bed since I had leaped up when I heard the ladder crash to the floor.

I quickly turned to look at the left end of my room, as did my cat that was now standing on my bed. We both had heard a scratching sound on the wall. I remember trembling but I was unsure if it was because I was cold or cold and scared. I quickly scanned the wall to see what could have made the noise. As I was doing so I looked over at my cat because out of the corner of my eye I saw him staring at something. I watched him look from the left side of the room, up towards the high ceiling, then quickly across the room to the right side above my dresser.

At that instant I saw something hit the wall with much force. I recognized it was a plastic hanger as it slid down the wall behind the dresser. Realizing something threw the hanger from across the room I bolted out of my room.

As I was turning to the left to run through the kitchen and out the back door, the rear door flew open on its own. The backyard light shined into the room - no one was inside or outside who could have opened the door. I hesitated. Not wanting to go back to my room I ran through the kitchen as fast as I could and out into the backyard. I didn't know what I was going to do from there; since I didn't have my keys to leave in my car.

Just then I turned towards the door to peer into the house since I heard something coming from the front of the house. It was my boyfriend entering the house, just arriving home from work.

Obviously I survived that night. Although it wasn't long after this last happening that I did move out... Into the Fremont Mansion, which is another story.

Thank you for reading about most of my experiences on 2nd Street. I welcome your comments, opinions, and advice, whatever!

Other hauntings by Wickeddaisy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wickeddaisy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AmberTaylor3323 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-15)
I felt like I was there with you, and so I can empathize! I am so so sorry about your experiences there, especially since that kind of thing is one of my worst nightmares!
Rocker_Andrew (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
Very spine tingling very piece of work though I found myself really getting into the story like I was there. Great detail 😆
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
ummmmm, this account sent chills down my spine! I felt as if I was right there with you!

Who ever (or what ever) was in the home certainly wanted its prescene known!

God Bless!
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Very very scary, I really liked this one Wickeddaisy. I would probably have had a heart attack or something, if I was being hounded like that by a spirit. I also don't cope well when I'm having paranormal experiences on my own! 😆
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
"...concerned about women and his hair" 😆-I think I know the type Wickeddaisy! Too bad it's a paranormal site cause I would have loved to read about these experiences too!

I will be looking forward to your next submission!

Take care.
Wickeddaisy (4 stories) (23 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Rhodes68: Thank you for the welcome! 😁 I'm glad you were petrified because it only means I explained my experiences well.
As for my ex boyfriend having any experiences in that house I can't acknowledge or deny whether he did. He was a person who fabricated and stretched truth for acceptance (I came to realize), so it's hard to say what was true. My last roommate was oblivious to the supernatural; too concerned about women and his hair. Haha! He tried to rationalize my experiences so I stopped sharing them with him. I never talked to the tenants upstairs.
But I did have a roommate who lived with us briefly who I think did have some experiences. I thought it was strange when I caught her calking her bedroom walls and ceiling one day. She said she felt like the men upstairs could see her. She felt uncomfortable showering in her bathroom (where my friend's boyfriend felt a force go through him), as if she was being watched. I assured her no one could see through the floor boards. I remember showering in her bathroom many months after she moved out and feeling uncomfortable. I kept looking up at the 15'+ ceiling because I felt something strange... Like I was being watched. Perhaps the tenants had something upstairs too.

I did have one more major experience at that house that I will be sharing soon!
Wickeddaisy (4 stories) (23 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Ghostseer: I suppose I should have clarified that the main reason why I moved out was because of my relationship. You're right, voices may be creepy yet it could be worse. I understand that stuff being thrown doesn't always mean it's hostile. But what I felt was more then just that. When the entity behind the voice is forcing me down and I feel and hear the hate and malice without hearing the actual words, then yes it can be cause to move out. When the door flings open as I'm running out, I sense it wanted me out.😉
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Welcome Wickeddaisy and thank you for taking the time to share an intriguing account with us. I was petrified while reading your description of the events-it was as if I was vicariously living in that Victorian house myself.

It sounds as if whoever was in the house didn't wish to share their space with another tenant. I wonder about two things:did your boyfriend ever experienced all this activity too? What about the people who lived in the other section of that house?

You said you no longer live there but I wish you could research the history of the estate-it would be very interesting.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Haunted houses can be quite challenging, but unless there is real reason to get out, you shouldn't have to leave your home. If voices were the worst of it, I wouldn't let it stress you. Just keep the memory, you experienced something unique to you, and you survived it. I have lived in many haunted houses myself, but as a sensitive, I get the ethereal coming at me from all over. You may have some unknown gifts. In time, as life slows down, you will be able to understand a bit more what they are. Check out my web page for other answers you may have. I have over forty years experience.It's hard when you are left with more than questions-than answers. My questions and answers page might help. Blessings, Ghostseer...
Wickeddaisy (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Well, Nexus997, brave in one sense and perhaps stupid in another. I lived there for 1 1/2 yrs, stuck in a lease and a bad relationship. I was lucky to get out of both and left the place to my ex and roommate to deal with. My cat was fortunate to leave before me - he got out and never wanted to step even on the porch when I would see him and try to lure him in the house.
Nexus997 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
you where extremely brave to stay in that house (well not for long anyway) I have to say that I would have been out of that house when the ladder had fallen down

God be with you 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: