You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Naval Hospital Newport Rhode Island

Real Ghost Stories

Naval Hospital Newport Rhode Island

 

This story was told to me by my Senior Chief (E-9) while I was stationed at the Naval War Collage, Newport, Rhode Island. (Apr2003-Nov2006)

Some history first. Built in 1909 the Naval Hospital in Newport, Rhode Island saw duty for many, many years. In the late 1980's early 1990's it was closed and all of the clinics were moved to the newer nearby naval clinic. The equipment and office furniture for the most part was left in the building. This included brand new operating room equipment. This is the time frame Senior Chief was stationed at the Naval War College as a First Class Petty Officer (E-6) and served as a member of the Auxiliary Security Patrol (ASF).

During the ASF patrols one of the buildings they had to do a walk through of was the old Hospital building. Senior Chief had heard all the 'ghost' stories about the various spirits that walked the halls of the Hospital. Sailors and Soldiers from various wars or conflicts as well as dependent family members that had passed on within it's halls. Senior Chief was not one to believe such stories. He figured they were told to 'scare' the guys while on a very routine and sometimes very boring patrol. (Trust me on this, I've stood that watch.)

It was about 0230 (2:30 in the morning) when he arrived at the hospitals front desk. He met with the building watch (one of those watches that is stood just to give enlisted a purpose on duty days.) and proceeded to check the floors one by one. All was normal until he reached the top floor. Here he felt like he was being watched, though everything seemed normal and quiet. The hallway was lit from outside by the streetlights (base side) so it wasn't completely dark. As Senior Chief rounded a corner and headed toward the back of the floor, he saw what appeared to be a red ball bouncing up and down in the center of the hallway. He stopped and watched for a moment, then he checked the windows nearby thinking it was a reflection from the signal light that was at the intersection on the street that ran just off the base. What he saw made his blood run cold, the light was flashing, but it was flashing yellow both directions. He looked back down the hallway and the red ball was still bouncing but as he watched it stopped, resting on the ground as it did so. Then it was pushed toward him. Rolling forward as if someone/thing wanted him to play. Senior Chief didn't wait around for the 'ball' to reach him, he raced back down to the building watch who cracked the joke, "You look like you've seen a ghost." Senior Chief made this guy finish the tour of the building with him, and requested to be put on a different route his next duty day.

As he talked about his experience, he discovered he was not alone. Others had seen the ball, or a little blond girl, in an old fashioned blue dress, up on that top floor. Another ASF member told him of the Soldiers/Sailors faces he would see looking out of the windows. It helped Senior Chief to know he wasn't alone, but he still refused to go back into the Hospital alone while on patrol.

Respectfully,

Rook

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MenaB67 (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-11)
Hi Rook, I'm excited to finally comment on you're story. I've been living across the street from this hospital since 2013 and walk past it everyday. I didn't read this until 2015 after someone asking me if I knew it was haunted. Ofcourse I looked for info online and I was very excited to find this story and shared it with all It added much excitement to my daily and nightly walks. I've taken tons of photos of the Windows... Videos and aloT of the photos have... Images of faces in them. Sometimes I wonder if it's just the clouds or the old screens but some really make you think Oh wow! I'm not sure if the building I photograph is the one that you speak of in this story though. I know the main hospital building, because that one you can see the actual old entranceway. The building I'm speaking of is separate from it right on the road, on the corner of Third St and another one that takes you down to the water... Bridge side and like all the others is behind barbed wire fence. I lived in a house in RI for 3 months back in 2012. That was without question haunted so since then I've been fascinated with the subject. I was even lucky enough to have seen clearly coming along side my bed one a.m. What first looked like smoke but had was more tannish colored and as I stared at it it was filled with tiny spinning little wheels of energy. It only lasted about 8 seconds... Was about 1 foot by 2 ft long and it just thinned out and disappeared I was amazed. It was more scientific than scary. The other stories scared me but that was fascinating.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
geetha

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=4530

Please see this experience... While not the Hospital... It happened while I was Stationed at the War College.

Respectfully,

Rook
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
I guess your boss got a good scare for not believing. I know such places have so much history that there are bond to be ghosts there which makes it unique. I just wish that these spirits could be helped across so they can be at peace.

Have you experienced anything while on duty there?
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Rook - I know. I was kidding. Cruel joke perhaps, but kidding nevertheless.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Truth,

The Hospital never had that type of 'negative' feel to it. It was very old and had that 'Oh, this place has got to be Haunted' feel to it. In this case the Hauntings proved to be true.

Respectfully,

Rook
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-24)
Gotta love it when your boss gets a good scare! It could have been worse! It could have been a shadow creature with red eyes and razor sharp claws!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-23)
Dennis,

Thank you for your comment and I have to agree with you... If a building is Haunted it's Haunted... The spirits will not wait until the building stands empty to become active. But with a building as busy as that Hospital was back in it's 'hey day' how many spirits were seen by Staff or Patients that went unnoticed as such?

There were stories being told by 'old sea dogs' at the VFW hall about 'faces' seen in the windows of the Hospital, faces that wore civil war hats or even 'men in civil war uniforms'. Most of the stories I heard were from the time that the Hospital was being used more as an out Patient Clinic... Before it was completely closed and the new Clinic opened.

For more Ghost stories about the base please see my 'story' here... Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=4530

It's titled Newport Naval War Collage.

Respectfully,

Rook
Dennis (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Hello to all of my shipmates new and old. Also all of my Friends (Marines) in the "FMF." I was stationed at the NRMC Newport, RI. From 1980 through early 1983 before being assigned to the USS America CV-66. While at Newport. I worked in Anesthia with Captain Jesus Plaza, Cheif of Anestheia, who was a very special part of my military carrer. Also, Commander Paul Tien, Commander Lee Megos as well as many others including Commander Virgina York, Surgical RN.

In all of the time I spent there, including many overnighter's. I never saw anything nor heard any of the stories I have read. If a place is said to be haunted, the spirits do not wait until a building, residence or any structure is empty. The top floor was the second floor which is where the OR was located along with the Chief surgeon's office was located.
Top of the steps, make a right hand turn and the first office on the left. Straight down a "SHORT" hallway to the OR. Just before the OR doors, if you made a left through the double doors, on the right was the Anesthesia Office and to the left was the "Head." Straight ahead was ICU. The onlt red ball (s) that could be seen was of those who were getting repremanded. I fell bad that I missed all of the excitement. I do believe in the afterlife and Spirits/Ghost's

Please tell me more.

TYVM,
Dennis
SpookDoc (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Stationed at the Newport Naval Hospital in 1991-1992. Heard the stories about the red ball and little girl. Never saw that, but night watch was unsual. It was not an inpatient hospital at the time, so there was no one in the building except for the watch staff. There certainly were weird noises, lights turning on by themselves, and just general unease. Not a believer at the time, I was a combat medic.
mzih8u (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-29)
yep I would have ran out screaming...
I just think I'm way too chicken to do any sorts of night patrol.
karmablondy (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
I use to live in Newport, RI and whenever I went to the hospital I had a very uneasy feeling about it. Today while I was donating blood a tech told me how he retired from, Newport. He told me that the old brick hospital is haunted. He said when he went to stand watch the doors would open and close on him. He then told me that there was a little girl who appeared on the second floor sitting on the Operating table. He said there was this man that they believe had a heart attack when using the bathroom and he would appear in a very old military uniform. He said the second floor was very haunted and he tried to avoid going to that floor. I came home and did a google for a haunting there at the hospital and the stories sound very similar. Except no one mentioned that doors would open and close. I wouldn't have stayed in there for a minute is I had seen those hauntings.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
There have been a lot of people that have seen the ball (or bouncing red light), a flash of blue and white move past (along with a chilling flash of cold) and even a few that have seen a 7-9 year old girl dressed in a blue and white early 1900's style dress on the top floor of the Hospital.

It's possible that she was a victum of fever. Newspaper clippings from Oct 1899 (Special to the New York Times) report an out break of Typhoid Fever on the base and at least 6 cases in the City of Newport. So it's not a great jump to think that this little girl was a case of Typhoid Fever that did not make it.

Respecfully,

Rook
JaimeLuv (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
Wow great story! It makes me so sad to think of the little girl there all alone waiting for someone to play with her 😢 I would be so interested in her story if you were ever able to find it. Perhaps she was the daughter of a patient and for some unfortunate reason passed away while there as well?
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
I am sorry to be late commenting on your story, rockdygin. I greatly enjoyed it as I have all of your experiences. Thank you for another vivid account. The image of a little Edwardian girl searching for a playmate has a timeless, romantic quality. But knowing that so many sailors have passed through that building and their penchant for mischievous pranks, I laughed at the thought of a specteral sailor--long since weary of regulations and authority--screwing with a Senior Chief just because he could and get away with it! 😆
eris29 (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Oh, ok. I just felt sad in a way that maybe she wanted someone whom she can play with, maybe with a ball? Hehe. Just a thought.

Anyway, Thank you Rook.

Have a blessed day.

:p
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
eris29,

I'm not sure. I never heard anyone who had figured it out, two different people who had seen the girl on the top floor and not the ball said it looked like she was from the early 1900's.

Rhodes68,

This is one of those buildings that just feels like something (in this case, many somethings) happened in it.

Thanks for all the feedback.:)

Respectfully,

Rook
eris29 (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Hi Rook!

I enjoyed the story and if I was the one patrolling the same station, I would never go back there again, even if I have someone with me to patrol. Hehe!

Just a question, do they have any idea who the girl was and what is the reason of her death?

Thanks and godspeed.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Poor little thing, waiting there for someone to acknowledge her and play with her. I do hope she is able to cross over.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I love the detail and descriptors!

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
Rook, you've done it again especially with your description of the ball being pushed towards the Senior Chief. I wonder if that was an invitation to play as you said or a challenge by one who craved for acknowledgement. Maybe both.

The faces looking through the window were spine-chilling. It makes one wonder how much this place "sees and hears" when lights go out!
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Thankyou for the interesting story!, I truly enjoyed reading this account. It really held my attention, and I got sucked in to the detail you provided. Thanks again!, Blessings, Ghostseer
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I had a Master Chief that could tell a story to make the chills running up your back give birth, let me tell you. He had seen just about all of it, I think. His stories from the field were the worse, but some of them around base were just as chilling. He was with me in the recycling unit, and LOVED to send me in first (with my partner, Jim, of course) just to check on the "safety factor". Personally, I think he just wanted us to chase out anything that may have been in hiding.
Thank you again.
Autumn
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I know just what you mean wb. Hearing him tell this story, and the look on his face as he told it would convince anyone that he'd seen something not normal.

The operating room equipment was removed while I was stationed on the base, mid 2005. The office equipment and things however were still in the building. The quaterdeck (front desk) was no longer manned for a watch but the base patrol still checked the doors and windows of the Hospital. It's a very old building with lots of history, it should be a historical site.
Respectfully,

Rook
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I could not help it, Rook. I had to try and be the first one.
It seems to pull more weight when it is a Senior Chief, does it not? Something about the few extra years in the field makes things a bit more believable coming out of their own personal experiences. I, too, have stood a similar watch, and I think they are in place for the same reason 😊 (the stories, I mean).
It always used to surprise me (I have not the chance to return to a base for many years) how much equipment was often left behind. I had worked for the "recycling unit" for a bit while on Coronado Island, and I tell you, I cringe when thinking of the vast amounts of money wasted on the tools found in secured places. Truly remarkable.
Nevertheless, this is an intriguing account. I would be a liar if I told you it did not give me chills. The stories of the children always get to me a bit more than those of adults.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: