You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Something In The Mirror

Real Ghost Stories

Something In The Mirror

 

This experience happened about a year ago now, but I have recently come across this website, and I have decided to share with you, what may be paranormal experiences in which I have been part of.

I lost my Nan about 5 years ago now, when I was about the age of 11. (I am 16 now). She was a kind hearted lady, who never committed any type of crime in her life. She didn't drink, she didn't smoke, her life revolved around being caring to others.

Being so young when I lost her, I was devastated, but I have since learnt to deal with it. At the age of about 15, I and my sister were watching the TV program, 'Most Haunted' in my room. During the show, the people hosting it took part in a ritual in which a person will sit in a dark room on their own, in front of a mirror, which nothing but a small source of light next to them.

They mentioned that this could bring back the image of yourself from either a past life, or even a different spirit trying to contact you.

I was slightly off about this whole thing, so it just went in one ear and out of the other, but my sister was slightly scared by the thought, so she left.

After the program had finished (at about 23.00PM) I decided to start to get ready for bed. My bed is horizontally placed on the opposite side from the door of my room. On the end of my bed to the left, there is a radiator on which my mirror is placed. I was finally ready for bed, and I was just putting some school books under a cupboard under my bed (next to the radiator).

My light was switched off, but I still had like light of my compact disc player on. I sort of glanced up into the mirror, and I have no idea why, but I just kept staring into the mirror. I was doing it subconsciously and then the image of an elderly lady took my place in the mirror.

I saw it for about 10 seconds, and then I got completely scared and slept under my covers for the rest of the night.

I was wondering whether this was just my imagination due to watching that TV program, or actually one of my relatives coming back.

The mirror is still to this day on top of my radiator near my bed, and I don't like to look into it in the dark. Oh and can I add, I think that the mirror may have been given to my parents by my Nan a few years before her death.

I even came to the point where I would turn it around at night, so that the wooden back was facing me instead of the mirror itself.

I would just like to hear people's thoughts on this and any advice. If people believe what happened is a paranormal experience, then I will be happy to share, what may be some other occurrences that I have been involved in within my house.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear your opinions soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, anniee16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Hi and thank you for sharring this interesting story with us. At first I thought that this was all caused by your imagination playing tricks on you after watching the tv show. It is possible that this was also caused by a spirit who actually did come for a visit. Who knows. But since you didn't see her again her spirit is at peace. And that's the most important thing. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
I am sure this is just you imagining things. I truly doubt a mirror can do such things.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
anniee16, try to think of it this way too: if you don't see her again, chances are it's because she's at peace with all of the love you and others in your family have given her, and she has accepted her passing and gone to the Higher plane.

Warmest blessings,

DA ❤
anniee16 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Thank you for all of your thoughts, it's much appreciated.

I do believe that it was more due to my imagination, but there will always be thoughts in my mind that my nan will come back one day.

I'l keep you posted on anything other things that I have been part of:)

Thanks again:)

Anniee 😊
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
anniee16--The technique you talk of is called "skrying" (or scrying) and is an old form of contacting those who have passed. Of course, as has been pointed out, it could have been a case of auto-suggestion or a flash of the imagination (your curious mind wondering what you might look like at "a certain age") brought on by the program you watched. Honestly? I don't think it's anything to worry about, creeped out though you were. You haven't invited any entity or spirit, granny notwithstanding, despite maybe her desire to visit you. There's a wealth of lore attached to mirrors, and people have their own sensibilities about them. You can research if you like, and ask others who have theories, but it will cause a cloud over your freedom if you scare yourself or insist on being afraid. (I know, easy for me to say.) God bless.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Hi I really enjoyed your story.

Whilst mirrors can be a nightmare in the bedroom they should be avoided while you are asleep as they can actaully drain you. However Round or Oval shaped mirrors are ideal as are full length mirrors, but should be concealed inside a wardrobe or covered.

Has it occurred to you that you may have done the ritual you watched on most haunted without realising you were actually doing it. I say this because when you went to get ready for bed you still had light of your compact disc player on. You glanced up into the mirror, and you had no idea why, but just kept staring into the mirror. Although you did it subconsciously I believe saw your grand mother who took your place in the mirror.

I don't think you will see anything again but if you feel better with the mirror facing the wall at night carry on turning it around at night.
KurLz (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I'm in agreement with DeviousAngel and hobbyholly on this one, it could have been either or. Whether it was or wasn't please feel free to share your other experiences, everyone would love to hear them.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Hello sorry for your loss of your grandma, Sometimes when watch tv it make your mind though playing trick that you seen things But I am sure I Do believe that you got visit from your grandma.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Why*-While
Sorry, I really hate when I've typed posts with spelling/grammar errors
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
I'm with Devious on this. It really could go either way.

Why watching this program did thoughts of your grandmother come up? With thoughts of her on your mind, it might have been you seeing her because you were thinking of her.

Or it really could have been her.

Either way I wouldn't be frightened. If was her, consider it a nice visit.

Have a good one
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Hello anniee16, welcome to YGS!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not really sure what your experience might have been... I think at this point I could go either way. I think it's possible that your Nan may have appeared to you in the mirror, but I also think it's possible that this may have been a stress-enduced hallucination. Whichever you choose to believe is up to you.:)

Warmest blessings,

DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: