You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: To Take Her Daughter Away

Real Ghost Stories

To Take Her Daughter Away

 

This incident happened to my paternal grandmother about 15 years ago in 1994, at my native town in Tamilnadu, India. I was 7 at the time, and lived with my parents and my elder sibling at a different part of the state. It was only during holidays do we visit our native town. All of my relatives and my grandparents on both sides live here. Every house is huge and decades old. Some are even centuries old.

As my grandfather had to be out of town for a few days, my grandmother (59 at that time) decided to stay in her mother's (who was over 85) house. This house was built in the 1880's and had seen a lot of births and deaths. The house is huge, divided in to different sections for each purpose, just like any other heritage Indian homes.

On the morning she went there, everything was quite normal. My great-grandmother lived there with a young lady helper. That night she slept with my great-grandmother, lying on her bed on the other side of the room. She has this habit of using the toilet, once, during the middle of every night.

As she was lying facing the wall on one side, she tossed around to get up and put her foot down. As she turned, even in the dark, she could see a small black thing standing beside her bed. It was about two foot tall and it resembled a wooden doll called "marapatchi" popular in our part of the country, which was used by children during olden days to play. It was looking up at her. Once she set her eyes on it, she clearly heard it asking her, 'where is my daughter'. Frightened to the core, she had thought that the thing was looking for her daughter (my aunt). She lay on her bed again and pulled the covers over her head and never turned that way again.

She waited until five in the morning, unable to sleep, without shifting her position, and with this urge to use the toilet. Then without telling her mother or the lady help, she opened the front door and made her way to her daughter's house (my aunt), which is only a few blocks away. There after narrating what had happened, to my aunt, she had her tea, and called great granny to tell that she'll soon be there and not to worry that she is missing.

A few days after this incident, my great granny passed away. She was a gem of a lady and the eldest of our family and hundreds attended her funeral. My grand mother says that it must be some ancestral spirit, probably her grandmother, who had come to take her daughter away. It is believed that the spirits of ancestors diminish in height as time passes, which is why whatever it was, it looked small.

An interesting fact is that, when told about this, my great grandmother had coolly exclaimed that her daughters were turning her residence in to a ghost house and to stop spreading such rumors. In my family to talk ghosts is taboo, and no one is much of a believer to this date.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, npillai, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

shobha (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-18)
I am also from India. It is commonly believed that old people who have lived along life, are visited by their dead relatives a short while before they pass on. My paternal grandmother died at 93 years. Afew days before that she awoke one night saying that her mother was calling her. My dad passed away 6 years ago, afew nights before that he woke up feeling that someone was in the house,. We all tried to dismiss this as a bad dream. My family believes in spirits, we have all heard stories passed on from our ancestors startng about 200 years ago. Ghosts are supposed to glide, they don't have feet-or so say our elderly relatives. I will post acouple of stories handed down from my grand mother and her mother before her
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
I agree with you in that it may have been an ancestral spirit that came to take your relative away. I'm sorry to hear of her passing in your family. It sounds like she was a really wonderful person. Thank you for sharing your story!

Warmest blessings,

DA/Lynn
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
That would scare me to the core. Imagine if it was possible for a spirit to use a barbie doll, bratz doll, cabbage patch doll or baby alive doll to talk to you or even a toy car rofl. My son Locke put a babies nappy on a toy car lol.
When my 1st child a baby girl Lilike was born sick the nurse called her a doll the night she was sick. My youngest child and daughter Angeni/Anjeni's name means soul or spirit angel my baby Anjeni was born in 2008 after a miscarriage on feb 13th 2007.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-18)
Very interest, Sound like some spirits is used something like for sample Doll or object stuff to get in contact with a living. Know what I mean?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: