You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Cousin Attended Her Own Funeral

Real Ghost Stories

My Cousin Attended Her Own Funeral

 

The funeral of my cousin was really strange... Especially when I saw her standing in the corner of the church.

The church was full of family and we just sat listening to the service and to others saying their goodbyes. It was nothing extravagant, but it was nice. I get distracted really easily because of my dyspraxia, so I was looking around and I saw her in the corner, looking at her own coffin.

I stared. I wasn't scared or shocked, I just didn't want to look away. My cousin, who had died a few weeks ago was standing right there. I won't tell you how she died, but it wasn't of natural causes.

I heard my name be called from the front, signaling that it was my turn to say a few words. I got up and went to the front. When I looked back, she was gone. I almost wanted to cry, the only time I would see her again, and I turned my back on her.

I said my bit, as well as I could through the tears and went back to my seat. When the service was over, we all went outside. I saw her again, standing by the trees. I walked to her as quietly and casually as I could. I stood in front of her. She smiled at me and told me she wasn't in pain anymore. I tried not to cry at that statement. I knew which sort of pain she meant and who caused it.

I nodded as I tried not to cry, and she vanished.

I have seen her around. I stayed at her house to sort things out. Her boyfriend keeps seeing her too. He's creeped out by it, but I'm just happy to see her. The loss isn't so bad if the person you miss keeps turning up to comfort you.

Other hauntings by Oceana

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Oceana, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
-2
3 years ago (2020-11-16)
Melda- We don't have to share. We have our laptops and tablets, but we have one main computer and it's easier to go on that.

Lady glow- I shouldn't have blamed anyone without the correct information. Sophie told me after I accused a bunch of people, that she closed her account to avoid us being linked together.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-04)
lady-glow - I actually didn't want to participate any further but I have to say this. When you were told that you were the primary reason for "Sohie" closing her account, that actually isn't true. There were a few of us!

I know you well enough (not personally of course) to realise that the accusation won't particularly faze you.

I have to say that Oceana/Sophie on occasion create the impression that they come from a very privileged background. This makes me wonder why they have to share a PC. Really? Strange. No personal laptop, or IPad, whatever?

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-04)
Oceana - With all due respect and with no intention of reignite a pointless discussion but, IF:

"Sophie left because she knew people linked us together, and with her gone, maybe someone would finally think of us as seperate people"

Then, why did you blame me and others for her decision?:

"Lady-glow
I feel like you drove her away from this site. Maybe some others too, but primarily you...
And when Alina5 wanted questions answered after the massive rant of yours, is it any wonder she didn't and just left. How are you supposed to answer something like that?"

...I only wish she could have shared a link to contact the 700 pounds rental... I wouldn't mind to stay there with a group of friends once this pandemic is over... Or even spend a weekend ghost-hunting at Canonteing, that is, of course, if I could get hold of its Chinese owner.
Would you happen to know that information?
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-28)
Hello Oceana,
It was a mistake. You've told everyone and it wasn't intentional, so don't lose sleep over it. Life is so precious and it's not worth being sad about things that can't be changed. All you can do is move forward and continue to be forthright and honest.
Best wishes,
SWS. ๐Ÿ˜˜
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
 
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
I'm 27. Sophie is mid 20s and my other cousin was late teens.
I know it was confusing and I can't undo the past, but if I could I would.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Hello Oceana,
Thanks for coming back and clearing things up. I read the comments in the other threads, and both you and Sophiethunder have had to do a lot of explaining after you both used the same PC and logged in as the wrong person, which confused members. Thus, planting doubt about who you are and that you may possibly be the same person. This must be hard on you along with the death of your 'other' cousin.
Everyone deserves a chance to makes things right. I read in one of the threads how sorry you were that you logged in as your cousin.
I truly feel bad for everything you are going through with the loss of your 'other' cousin.
I hope things improve for you.

You say you are not a child. Do you mind if I ask how old you are, how old is Sophiethunder, and how old was your 'other' cousin?

Best wishes,
SWS ๐Ÿ˜˜
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
 
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
No, Sophie isn't dead, one of my other cousins is. And this is the story of when I saw her at her own funeral.
unforgiven1 (2 stories) (19 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
The story is literally about how your cousin is dead. Then, now in your last comment you said she isn't and that she's fine...

This is so ridiculous and a waste of everyones time. ๐Ÿ™„
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Whatever...can we just move on?

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13... That should do.
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
But Oceana... You literally said it was sophie that-
Ok never mind
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
-3
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
I tell you what's really happening.
Sophie and I are different people, just the same family. We were raised together. Everyone seems to have this crazy delusion that we are the same person. I don't mind that, people have a right to their own opinion.
It's insane how one mistake can make everyone question things and no matter how much I protest, nothing will ever change.
Sophie left because she knew people linked us together, and with her gone, maybe someone would finally think of us as seperate people.
Sophiethunder1 wasn't my cousin. She seemed to think she could pretend to be her and then accuse me of stuff that never happened. I never killed her off, because she's not dead, she's fine.
Any more questions?
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Hello Melda,
I can't go through all the comments today, but I will this week. Thank you for the information.

Lady-Glow, I was confused after seeing sophiethunders' comment saying that she's alive and presumed it was an impostor after reading Oceana's reply, and so I left a second message.

All too complicated, but you and Melda have helped make some sense of this.

PS: Oceana, You have help here at YGS when you are ready to talk about what's actually happening. Help is given to everyone without bias but you have to be forthright and honest.

Best wishes,
SWS ๐Ÿ˜˜ โค ๐Ÿ˜˜
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Tweed.

"Think of it this way if a child was standing in front of you would you say this to them? If the answer is no, then don't post it."

When my children were little and told me something too fantastic, I used to coax them into telling me the truth by saying "that's great, now please tell me what really happened". They grew up knowing that I would listen to them but wouldn't be misled... Specially if/when a pile of evidence was pointing against their fantasy.

Peace to all.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
TravisCannabis & Others who are confused.

Look in the directory for stories listed under countries and go to England. There you will find Sophiethunder, who deleted her account. You will find her stories. Make sure to read the comments. There are members of this site who believe that sophiethunder and Oceana are the same person. I myself am strongly convinced that they are.

By the way, I don't think that Oceana is a child. I have reasons for saying that but over the past year or two I've had a number of spats with the "duo" and don't intend to continue it here.

So Travis, light a doobie and if you have the time, do the research.

Regards, Melda
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+6
3 years ago (2020-10-26)
WTF? So who's saying that she's still alive? I'm confused. Is the site being haunted? ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜
I need a doobie to help me understand this crap. Lol. ๐Ÿ˜
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-26)
Hello Oceana,
It's a good thing that you haven't seen her in a while. Hopefully that means she has moved on.

I know this must be a difficult time for you. If I can share this, my only comfort based from my loss of my dad and brother, and that is, remember all the happy times. Remember everything that you both did that was fun and remember how much you both cared for each other.

Be brave Oceana. My thoughts are with you.

Best wishes,
SWS ๐Ÿ˜˜ โค
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
-3
3 years ago (2020-10-26)
Who's a child?
I'm not.
I never said anything happened on this site. I never used this sites name.
I put this on here to tell my experience of my cousin's passing and I don't want to say which cousin. I want to keep that to myself.
Anyway, I haven't seen her in ages now, so she's probably moved on.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-26)
Dang, well said Augusta.

I read all this in one go about a week ago and decided not to stir the pot. But actually I think it might need to be said. So I will.
I think this person is a child. No idea how old, but I think this is from a young mind.
Doesn't excuse their behaviour but I think it's best to leave things be and move on.

Think of it this way if a child was standing in front of you would you say this to them? If the answer is no, then don't post it.

Anyway that's my ten cents.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-25)
Wow - reading through all this has left me deeply confused. Cyber-bullying or depression or a combination of both? There was even some inference by the OP in their comments that the alleged cyber negativity was from this forum ๐Ÿง I am guessing that the series of interactions in question would be these:
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=27262

Granted, no one can truly get inside someone else's head to know whether they would be pushed over the edge by something that seems so unimportant to an outsider or whether they would flat out fabricate such a troubled saga.

If there has indeed been a life lost to the darkness of self-doubt and depression, may they and those left behind find peace. And if it is a very live mind manufacturing fantasy here, may it to find it's own measure of peace.
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-10-18)
I didn't either and I find it hurtful and rude.
There is no need for it.
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-10-18)
Wow... Didn't see that coming.
I must say that there's always something happening in yourghoststories ๐Ÿ˜†
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
-3
4 years ago (2020-10-17)
What?
You are not Sophie.
Don't you dare pretend to be someone you're not.
Sophie closed her account because she wanted to, I never told her to do that.
sophiethunder1 (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-10-17)
I kept thinking about making this account or not but I had to because I want everyone to know! Oceana you told me to close my account and that's it but I didn't think you would kill me off and say that I was going mad! Now I'm upset because you're telling all these people things that I didn't even go through. I thought we were in this together but now I see we're not: (I didn't commit suicide, I am alive and well. Reading these comments just made me feel like I had to say these things
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-10-07)
valkricry
I'm sorry about your loss.
I'm probably mincing my words again. She was depressed because she thought people were against her. That's what she lead me to believe.
I'll tell her next time I see her.

To everyone, thanks for the help.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+8
4 years ago (2020-10-07)
I have debated with myself over and over about commenting on this particular thread, as it hits a bit close to home for me. I lost my son to suicide, so I've some firsthand experience with it.
Oceana, I would urge you to get some counseling if you haven't already. There's no shame in getting help in dealing with grief, or even life in general.
Personally, I don't believe that all spirits stay for awhile out of an inability to move on, but rather out of choice; to give those they've left behind some comfort and closure, letting them know that they're ok now. Maybe even to be sure we're okay.
Think about it, " She smiled at me and told me she wasn't in pain anymore." Does that sound like someone seeking justice/revenge, who isn't at peace?
PoliexterLy is correct, the police ask a lot of questions, I know my own home was treated as a homicide scene - without the yellow tape. Computers were looked at for files, and any groups/forums he belonged to, as well as any comments he made or were made to him.
From your own comments, Oceana, I think you may have mistyped when you said she was a victim of cyber-bullying. Sounds to me more like she suffered depression, and a side effect of that can be a bit of paranoia. Not in the sense of everyone is out to 'get you', but of being attacked from want of a better word. It's usually reflected in their off-line life as well ('no body likes me' type thinking or 'I'm just a screw up'). This paranoia can take even innocent comments and twist them.
Just know, that suicide is a choice and one she made. There is no one to blame for her death, unless there was actual (cyber) bullying taking place which would have only exasperated an already existing condition. And even if she had been under doctor's care there's no guarantee of a different outcome. Next time you see her, tell her you love her enough to let her go. That could be all she needs to hear.
Shabtslover (11 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-10-07)
Oceana, I think why it matters how or why she died is that yes this is your experience but judging from the bond you guys had in the story I am assuming you would want her to move on and for that I think it's very important that you know what is stopping her from doing that and try to help her so for that reason it is very important to know what caused her death and what would help her to gain peace
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-10-06)
Oceana,
You say it was cyberbullying tho and that her TORMENTERS were still at large... But now you're saying she was going mad anyway so it wasn't that? ๐Ÿ˜จ
Js you shouldn't make large accusations like that about people. Especially when involving a dead person
Lorenzo (3 stories) (21 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-10-06)
I wonder if there's a way to help her move on. It's sad otherwise.
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
-3
4 years ago (2020-10-05)
Anyway, I don't see it matters why she died, this is just my experience of seeing her after death.
Oceana (11 stories) (47 posts)
-2
4 years ago (2020-10-05)
She was going mad in the weeks before. Maybe she had something she felt she couldn't talk about.
She was upset about comments, not necessarily here, but she felt bullied.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: