You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Just A Few Vague Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

Just A Few Vague Encounters

 

Hey, I'm Sammy, and I'm sixteen years old. I live in Portland Oregon. I don't know what else to tell you. I suppose I have somewhat of a connection to the supernatural. I believe in all things except for God (please don't give me any bull because I'm Atheist).

I actually kind of "feel" when there's something, like I'll walk into a certain room and just know something's not right about it. People call me paranoid; I've called myself paranoid (I still do with a lot of things... Logical thinking, you know.), but I've been proven right more than once, apparently. I've also had dreams that had signs.

I would love to be able to properly stand up and face whatever's watching me from the shadows, or the spirits whom a friend has claimed may have just been passing through here, but I have yet to gain the courage to keep from turning away.

Anyway, that's all I can think of to say before I start my scattered story... Though, actually, the background info is connected to this.

These are no detailed, major encounters, like a lot of stories on this site; just vague experiences I'm still figuring out. Not to mention they've been here and there.

Three or two years ago it was night time. I went into the kitchen, not bothering to turn on the light, as I was comfortable in the darkness and known to be somewhat nocturnal. (you'll hear my friend Tiffany going down the hall like, "I can't see! How do you get through this?").

I can't remember what I did -- maybe I got something to eat? Drink? Anyway, I did what I did, and started walking out, minding my own business. Then, out of the blue, I heard... A scream... A man yelling...

It lasted for just a few seconds, but it was loud enough and so close that it made me jump and stand stock-still, shocked and alarmed. It was hard to pinpoint the sudden noise: was it above me? Next to me? All of the above? (I suck at pinpointing noises, unfortunately, but that's what it seemed like.)

Then my Dad came around the corner. I asked him, "Was that you?" He said, "What?" "Did you just yell?" "...No." I could tell he was looking at me oddly in the darkness. I should've known. It wasn't his voice. It was a young man, I could tell. He was afraid and in pain. I could tell all that.

My father said I watched too many horror films in the past, and that I was imagining things. True that may be, but I don't think so. It was too real to be... In my mind. I'm not sure what happened. All I know is... That man, unfortunately, was murdered, and I may have been listening to his last cry.

Next up, another semi-kitchen encounter. This happened sometime later. Alright, the light was on. So was the TV. And my half-brother was visiting for the weekend. Once again, I was walking out of the kitchen, when I looked over.

See, let me explain: at the beginning of the kitchen, by the wall, there's a bookcase by it. There's a gap between the bookcase and the kitchen, and you can sort of see into the living room.

Anyway, I randomly glanced over. To my surprise, I saw the shadowy figure of a boy dash by the gap. I was confused: was that my brother? What the heck was he doing?

Usually I wouldn't care, but this time I found myself quickly going around the bookcase and glancing down the hallway. There was Mark (my brother), all right... However, I stopped. He was all the way down at the end of the hall, probably walking out of my room after possibly looking for something or doing something with the TV/computer. And he looked like HE was minding his own business, heading straight for the bathroom, not even noticing me.

I wasn't sure what to make of it. Again, I told Dad, but again, he told me I was imagining things.

Just recently, I came to realize another thing. I hadn't heard footsteps or anything. When my brother dashes in the house his heavy footsteps are heard. (Sometimes he makes a racket -- it's annoying.) I still wonder, if it was a ghost, what was he doing? Was he running from me, or from... Someone/something else? He obviously didn't want me following him, seeing as soon as I turned the corner, he just seemed to go poof. Maybe he was another spirit passing through.

Third, and the last I can remember, is maybe last April or sometime around then. I was right here, on the computer, talking to a friend I had reunited with (and who was eventually to be my girlfriend. 8D -had to do that-) and some other friends on MSN.

For some reason, and much to my fear/annoyance, I kept seeing white mist out of the corner of my eye, right at my bedroom door. But every time I looked, it wasn't there.

This kept happening for days. I think at one point I was like, "Knock it off. Why am I seeing things? Ugh." Back then, I was going through a major paranoia episode. Maybe that was it? Anyway...

One night, I looked YET AGAIN... I stared hard, glaring at the door, sort of in defiance. I was shocked when I realized the "mist" wasn't going away... No, it was... Forming. A greenish figure was actually forming! I blinked, and blinked some more, thinking. "No, I'm seeing things, just like before" but the faded form grew stronger, and I got the feeling eyes were boring into me, studying me, waiting for my reaction.

I can't remember seeing legs, maybe thighs and up. The figure appeared to be lanky, with a kind of ponytail. I couldn't see a face. I tried hard to stay still and watch, but I felt all the color drain from my own face (I still remember it), and I quickly turned my head back towards the computer, shakily moving strands of my hair so that I couldn't see anything else out of the corner of my eye again. I refused to look at the door for a long time that night.

As the days went by, I began to relax, realizing I wasn't seeing any "mist" or anything after that. Eventually I started to regret the fact that I let myself turn away like that. The apparition wasn't evil, or mean. I'm pretty sure of that. And they obviously saw that I wasn't exactly up for ghost-sighting, and they were nice enough to leave me alone.

To this night, I still haven't seen them. Part of me is grateful, part of me is wishing they'd come back. I told my best friend this, and she said, "I doubt you're ready. They probably know that." I suppose that's true.

I have an idea on who it was, though, and I'm determined to somehow gather the courage to get her to come to me again. If she's still here on this earth, trapped, I'm setting her free. And maybe I can heal a wound or two of mine this time.

Other hauntings by Samantha_Kyles

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Samantha_Kyles, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
To: KimSouth0

Your name reminds me of Kim Possible and South of Nowhere... πŸ˜†

Anyway, I can't tell if you're talking to me or DA, but...

No, I don't believe in God. Especially not the one portrayed in the Bible, which I reeeeally don't believe in.
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
To: DeviousAngel

:) Oh, I see! Sounds interesting... When you say you believe everything has a spirit, you mean trees and such, right? Like the Indians. 'Cause I believe that, actually.

😒 Poor ghosties. I think they get me more depressed than scared, actually. I can't imagine living what they have to live after they die...

But I'm still going to have to remind myself that not all ghosts are evil little demons next time I have an encounter. πŸ˜‰

Toodles again!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
KimSouth--I said I feel something and I believe in GODS. Polytheism. Not just one, but many. Any questions?:)

And the author is an atheist. I respect her views entirely and will not condemn her or anyone for believing (or not believing in her case) anything different.

Blessings,
DA
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
Amazing...you can kind of feel something, but there is no God? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
Samantha--you're welcome for the welcome! πŸ˜† And just to clarify, "pagan" just means "not Christian." I believe what I believe (I'm a polytheist, and to be exact, more of a spiritualist... I believe everything has a spirit) without needing to turn to one particular god for the reason why we're here or what we should be doing. Just my opinion.:) It just didn't feel right to be when I tried to accept atheist views... It feels to me that there has to be something greater, even if I can't understand it, and it seems far more plausible that there are several benefactors working together rather than just one.

ANYWAY...sorry for such a winded reply! You're right though... Hollywood does like to make it seem like spirits are evil, with very few exceptions. You hit the nail on the head: most of them were/are still just people like us. They are conscious and think/feel just like we do.

Blessings,
DA
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
To: DeviousAngel

Thanks for the welcome.:)

Glow in the dark? Lol, I had to find that funny. πŸ˜† Anyway, I think I'm slowly starting to get over my fear. 😊 If something happens again, I just need to remind myself that not all ghosts are evil, like portrayed in Hollywood; after all, they were human, like us, and pretty much still are. Besides, it would be really nice to help send a spirit towards the Light, as people call it.

I just looked up Pagan. I kind of don't get it, but yeah. I just hate how people get on our backs about it. It's dumb. We don't exactly shoot down their religion all the time, do we?

But yeah.:) Thanks for reading my story and commenting!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
Hello and thanks for sharing your story! Welcome to YGS. It sounds like you're someone with an unfortunate amount of energy radiating from you. You must glow in the dark to spirits. πŸ˜† But anyway, don't be afraid of them. I know from experience that being afraid of them does nothing but...well, scare you, haha. As many people will tell you, spirits can't hurt you unless you let them.

And no worries, you won't get any crap from me about being an atheist. I get crap for being a Pagan too. πŸ˜‰

Blessings,
DA
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
To: supernatural

I just looked up the Damish Mental Aslyum. Oh, wow. Sounds frightening. BUT we can never be sure if it was the ghost who actually -shudders- ra... You-know-what the people. It probably was some nasty guard who was handling them. Possibly...

Look up murders? Sounds good. Portland Murders... Heck yeah! -slight sarcasm-

Thank you for reading and helping. 😁

Be safe!
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-28)
To: Starlight

Wiccan? Hmmm... An old friend of mine tried that out before, if I can remember right... πŸ˜‰

A sensitive? Weird. =/ Oh, well. I'm getting used to the idea.

Mmhm. It might've been from my creepy attic... OoOoOoOoOoOo! 😲

As for the mist person, probably. >< It was scary, though. Freaked me out.

Not sure how that's possible, not allowing a spirit to hurt me. O.O But I'll keep that in mind and see what I can do if I ever come across a malevolent ghost... -shudders-

:) Thanks for reading my story! I have another one coming up.
supernatural (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-27)
hi, I live in wilsonville, or. And I live uncomfortably close to an extremely haunted area... The damish mental assylum... You should look it up... But so any wayz yes you are probably able to see supernatural beings as am I and my friend and her brother, if the spirits don't hurt you then your good... You should look up any murders that went on in your area... It may explain some thingz ❀
Starlight (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Atheist? Pleasure, I'm Wiccan actually, but that has nothing to do with it, does it now?

You might be sensitive actually. I am myself, and I agree, it isn't exactly great at all times, is it?

Perhaps so that it was a man screaming his last scream to you. But like you said, you couldn't pinpoint the sound. We will never know, huh?

Same with the mass mist. Probably was a spirit trying you out, seeing if you could see it. I've had it happen at a friends where, I among several, am the only one that can see it. Which is really sad sometimes and frightening.

Just know a spirit cannot hurt you unless you allow it. And paranoia is quite fine, I suppose seeing odd stuff like this is common friends with paranoia, no?

Glad to hear your experiences! Thank you for sharing!

Blessed be 😳
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
To: courtneyOMGG

Thank you very much for the welcome!:)

I'm glad you think my story is good.:D

I don't know about my "gift" being "amazing." It's not exactly that of a true psychic's/medium's. It'd be kind of cool, but I should overcome my fear and do something about this house before/if my skills develop. 8D;

Yay for being able to sense presences in places!...Or not.

Smudging? Never heard of it. I just looked it up. Not sure where I can get any herbs, though.

I'm definitely still trying to communicate, though.

Take care, and Merry Christmas! Thank you!
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
To: Ghostlover13

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the story. 83

I know the guy was most likely someone who got killed here. =/ It's sad, really. Poor man.

True, sometimes spirits don't see us... I wonder why. But then, a lot of things about the paranormal are peculiar and confusing.

Oh, noes. Feeding off my fear, this one? That sucks. I'll have to try to curb my fear next time. It's pretty hard, though.

Thank you very much!:) You may see another story very soon!

Merry Christmas!
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-25)
First of all, welcome to YGS! 😊
This story is fascinating!
You do sound as though you have an amazing gift.
I am like you, when I walk into a house or room, I can tell if there is a presence in there.
As all of these experiences have happened in your house, you could maybe try smudging your house, if it is annoying you seeing all these entity.
If not, you could maybe try communicating with them, find out who they are, if they need your help, whatever you feel comfortable with. 😊
Take care ❀
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-25)
That was so interesting!

The man yelling was probably a man that used to live there and got murdered there. (not trying to scare you) And his scream was probably the last thing that he said/screamed before he died.

The boy was probably just running around and he probably did not even notice you! Some spirits do not notice us. I do not know why that it, but it sometimes is true.

As for the mist, I see that all the time. It is the average ghost. I believe that he was gaining more energy from your fear. Next time you see anything, do not show fear! It makes it stronger and that is why I think that he was forming in that green mass or something.

I hope this all helped and I hope to hear more stories from you in the near future! 😊

Merry Christmas! ❀

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: