You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Family Ghost Stories

Real Ghost Stories

My Family Ghost Stories

 

I come from a long line of hauntings and many members of my family claim to have been haunted.

My Great Aunt Helen told me about a house in Garvin, Oklahoma. She moved with her brother and sister-in-law. She told me that they would always hear children laughing and crying in the woods near the house. What confused them is that there were no houses anywhere nearby and when they would search for the children they heard, they never could find anything.

Inside the house, the front door would unlock itself every time somebody would lock it and walk away. One night she and her husband Howard went to bed and they heard a noise like a dog walking in with claws clicking across the floor. This "dog" walked up to the side of the bed and Uncle Howard felt it's breath on him but he couldn't see it. She said it finally lay down on the floor at the foot of the bed.

My grandpa has 12 brothers and sisters with approximately 30 years difference between the youngest and oldest. By the time my grandpa and the other older kids moved out, there were just a couple kids left with my Great Grandparents. This is the reason some of the stories only include some of the kids.

My Great Grandma and Grandpa lived in Idabel, Oklahoma. At this house, they had a wrap-around porch that circled the whole house. Many times when they would sit down to eat or watch TV, they'd hear somebody running around the porch but they never could see anybody. Grandma and Grandpa Canada put flour around the porch to see if they could get footprints and sure enough, they heard the running and when they checked the flour, it was intact and there were no footprints at all. Another day, my Uncle Joe came home from school early because he didn't feel good. He came in the house and it was cold so he went outside to get some firewood and make a fire. When he got the wood and got back in the house, there was already a fire in the fireplace that hadn't been there before. He got so scared that he sat outside until Grandma and Grandpa Canada got home.

I of course don't know how true these stories are, but they were sworn to be true when they were told to me and the tellers seemed very serious. We're a family with deep southern roots and just good old country people that love a good ghost story.

Other hauntings by Missmelanie04

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Missmelanie04, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Thank you for sharing these experiences with us. The footsteps on the porch do sound like a residual haunting but the "dog" from the first part and the "fire builder" from the second part sound more like protective spirits. I look forward to reading more of your experiences. God bless.
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
I really don't know much of the history about any of the stories... Just that my grandpa and seemingly his whole family have had ghostly encounters at one point or another. My dad still refuses to acknowledge anything of that nature but says that it could be possible but he personally doesn't believe in it. I guess it just takes the right encounter to make a believer out of some people.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Thank you for sharing your stories with us! I wonder if someone else lived in that house at some point? Do you know the history of the property? It sounds a lot like a residual haunting.

Blessings,
DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: