You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Footsteps Upstairs And The Amateur Typist

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps Upstairs And The Amateur Typist

 

My wife and I were living in a tiny two bedroom apartment when we found out my wife was pregnant with our beautiful son. We were both in the Navy at the time, so it was hard to do extensive house shopping. I was always out to sea for a few weeks, then home for a few weeks and so on. We found a home, close to base, in Newport News, VA. It's located in a nice golf course community called Kiln Creek. We thought the home was beautiful. It had two stories and plenty of room for the little guy.

The first creepy thing that took place happened in broad day light. The bedroom closet on the first floor was not painted when we moved in, so I took it upon myself to paint it. We were still settling in, so the sound of foot steps upstairs was no cause for alarms, until I heard my wife yell from the kitchen, "What are you doing up there?" That's when I stopped painting and I walked out and looked at her. I startled her because she thought I was upstairs. I checked the house and nothing.

There would be other subtle things such as a bright flash coming from the second floor loft, as if a camera flash went off. Whispering could be heard upstairs as well. I never slept one complete night the entire 2 years we stayed there. My wife and I deduced that whatever was in the house, it was upstairs.

The final straw was when my wife woke me up at approximately 3am. She was trembling with fear, almost crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me, "shhh, just listen." That's when I noticed that a light was on in the loft. It wasn't just any light it was the light of my computer monitor. The same computer I ALWAYS put on sleep, meaning the mouse must be moved or keys must be stroked to bring the screen up. Then I heard it typing. It sounded like an amateur typing one key at a time with his/her index fingers only. The sound took my breath away. It was distinct, the same sounds I hear as I type this experience. I mustered as much courage as I could, protecting my wife and child. I picked up my 22inch mag flashlight and crept to the loft. I figured my best move was to jump out and try to startle whoever was there. I jumped out from behind the wall and screamed! As soon as I turned that corner the typing stopped and my computer chair spun a 180 until it stopped facing me. I have never had goose bumps run down my legs but I sure did when I was standing there, frozen with fear, anticipating something terrible.

That was the last night we slept upstairs. We spent the last 7 months in that house, sleeping on a mattress on the floor of our living room with our son always between us. I do believe something attached itself to us. Everywhere we go there are always little things that happen. Voices, kids' toys turning on and playing by themselves.

I feel better now than I did then. I feel like my soul is in a healing process, and hopefully one day, I'll no longer be scared.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CL3V, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
That was quite an encounter CL3V especially the part about the pc chair spinning around to then rest facing you!

No matter how frequently we experience such encounters, there's no way of ever getting used to it as part of our everyday reality although it is reassuring when the resident energy is "peaceful".

I really don't know what your case is since you haven't discused all the other interactions you had with it but it DOES sound as if it's intelligent.

I suppose your little son is quite gifted as I'm more inclined to believe it is HIM attracting the visitor.
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Oh, and I forgot something.
Okay, you know how you said that you heard the keys typing?
Well... Was there any writing of some form on the computer screen, or near or by the computer?

Just wondering! 😊
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
I believe that you should get your house blessed. Maybe you could also look up the history of your house, also, to see if someone died in your house or not.
Not to scare you, but maybe he/she died upstairs and that is why he/she is always up there.

Maybe you could find the pervious owners of the house and ask them if anything had ever happened to them while they were living there, or asked them if there was any reason in particular that they moved out.

Great story and hope to hear from you soon! 😁
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Hmmm nice one, whatever that was there didn't like your family moving in initially, later either your family or the apparitions have got used to the other. These are the works of a poltergeist. They are attention seeking ghosts, either trying to communicate something or showing their presence there. Thanks for sharing.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Hello and thank you for sharing your story. I wonder if it might have been someone trying to pass along a last message to their loved one?

Anyhow, best of luck to your family and thank you and your wife for your service.:)

Blessings,
DA
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
hey cl3v
Seems like your ghost is amateur and what makes your story really creepy is that did you see really the keyboard buttons going inside and outside.
A very unlike ghost
Might be it has an aim of becoming a typist and have dead without succeding in it. It happens mostly when ghosts could not fulfil their aims in man stage. Even elders say that they should fulfil their dreams
Thanx for posting
Scaryboy
tricia889 (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Perhaps it was just something wanting attention, did it ever do anything besides startle you? No one has passed recently that may be trying to communicate with you have they? Perhaps that's why they may still be with you... Who knows, it's sort of a guessing game at this point, keep us informed with any new developments or happenings. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Osa (1 stories) (70 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi CLV3, well that must have been a long 7 months sleeping in the living room. Whats really cool about your story is that you seemed to have startled or scared whatever was in your computer chair. That to me says that the ghost or whatever didn't want to be discovered. Did you ever see anything in your send box for e-mail? What about the history tab, ever check that? Now that your son is older, does he display any paranormal abilities? I'm glad you feel better. Maybe you are just more accepting of these phenomena now. Keep us updated. Osa
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your unnerving experience. That sounds absolutely frightful, CL3V! I am certain I would have had to change my shorts afterwards. 😨 On several occassions my PC has awakened from sleep mode when I was not near it, but I always assumed it was due to vibrations (although it has never been accompanied by typing and a moving chair). Did you notice at the time if there was a program open and any text on the screen? Have you asked your son if he ever saw anyone playing with the toys? How well did you know your neighbors--did any of them mention anything out of the ordinary or previous occupants?

I have spent a lot of time in SE Virginia and have lived in Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Hampton (within sight of Naval Station Norfolk).
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi!,

Well, I guess nobody was sitting at the computer?, was any writting?...sure it's creepy! 😭 thanks for sharing.
anne_k92 (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
It's quite creepy, to hears whispers and that chair facing you. Perhaps there's something in the house that wanted you to go away. Good thing that you're out at of the house. But for safety, you should learn spirit warding (if you believe). If you're a type of skeptical guy, just hang a portrait of Jesus in your bedroom or living room and prepares a holy water won't give you a lot of trouble. Just my opinion okay? All the best, anne_k92.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hey CL3V,

I assume you no longer live in that house. This is a freaky story, and that to with a new born in the house. I hope you do find the peace your looking for...:)

Regards & Prayers,
Logan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: